• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why New Orleans Flooded

Theodore

There have been many accusations lately about lack of levee funding being directly responsible for the flooding in New Orleans. Even Louis Farrakhan has his theory: "I heard from a very reliable source who saw a 25 foot deep crater under the levee breach. It may have been blown up to destroy the black part of town and keep the white part dry"
Nevertheless, a good article was written that gives a much more comprehensive account of the causes of the flooding.

Phil Brennan, NewsMax.com

Tuesday, Sept. 13, 2005

A steel barge that came crashing into one of the levee walls, and not the failure of that levee to hold back an immense tidal wave, was to blame for much of the flooding that drowned parts of New Orleans.
Lying an average of seven feet below sea level, surrounded by the waters of Lake Ponchartrain, the Mississippi River and Lake Borgne, which separates Lake Pontchartrain from the Gulf of Mexico, and protected by a series of sinking levees, the city of New Orleans was a disaster waiting to happen.

Snip

…As politicians play the blame game, many facts about the roots of the disaster have either been overlooked or deliberately ignored because they are inconvenient to those seeking to put the onus for the tragedy upon their political targets. One of them was the story behind the flood that turned a major disaster into a catastrophe of immense magnitude.

Snip

Among the facts exposed of the Journal which the mainstream media has studiously ignored:
· In two cases, storm-driven water, far higher than the levees were designed to hold back (up to 15 feet of tidal surge), overwhelmed them and went pouring down on parts of the city. According to the Journal, the waves inundated the mostly working-class eastern districts, home to 160,000 people. In some places, the water rose as fast as a foot per minute, survivors told the Journal. These levees did not break.
According to engineers, scientists, local officials and the accounts of nearly 90 survivors of Katrina interviewed by the Journal, the first of the three waves swept from the north out of Lake Pontchartrain.
The wave of undetermined height poured over 15-foot-high levees along the Industrial Canal, which were several feet lower than others in the central areas of the city. Wrote the Journal: "About the same time, a similar wave exploded without warning across Lake Borgne, which separates Lake Pontchartrain from the Gulf of Mexico. It filled the lake, engulfed its surrounding marshes, raced over levees and poured into eastern New Orleans."

Read the rest of this very informative article here.

jonny

George Bush should have known that the barge was there and immediately evacuated the area of ships. I am astounded that he wouldn't have alerted the coast guard to quickly remove this barge to prevent this accident. One more reason why George Bush is the most incompetent president in our history. Seriously, can't he do anything right? IMPEACH! IMPEACH! IMPEACH!

I bet he requested that the barge be placed there to break the levy and flood all the working peoples homes so that corporations could profit from rebuilding the homes.

Pah

Uber all member
protected by a series of sinking levees
Sinking levees?
A steel barge that came crashing into one of the levee walls, and not the failure of that levee to hold back an immense tidal wave, was to blame for much of the flooding that drowned parts of New Orleans
Known structual failure?

How many working pumps were online to protect against the "surging tidal wave"?

Flappycat

And I still insist that the city needed a much more reliable protection than those levees. It would have been outrageously expensive to build and maintain, but it would have been worth every cent.

Relax: this isn't an attack on your beloved Chimp. This is shared by politicians and their voters going back to the original founding of New Orleans.

nutshell

jonny said:
George Bush should have known that the barge was there and immediately evacuated the area of ships. I am astounded that he wouldn't have alerted the coast guard to quickly remove this barge to prevent this accident. One more reason why George Bush is the most incompetent president in our history. Seriously, can't he do anything right? IMPEACH! IMPEACH! IMPEACH!

I bet he requested that the barge be placed there to break the levy and flood all the working peoples homes so that corporations could profit from rebuilding the homes.
So Bush was to know there was a barge there and order it out of the area? What about the local authorities? Wouldn't they be more aware of the barge than Bush? Why didn't they do anything?

At least Bush had the cojones to take responsibility for what's happening.

Finally, you can't impeach because you think he's incompetent. He needs to break the law and he hasn't.

jonny

nutshell said:
So Bush was to know there was a barge there and order it out of the area? What about the local authorities? Wouldn't they be more aware of the barge than Bush? Why didn't they do anything?

At least Bush had the cojones to take responsibility for what's happening.

Finally, you can't impeach because you think he's incompetent. He needs to break the law and he hasn't.
Yes, he should have known and ordered it out of the area. The local authorities could not of known about his plans to destroy New Orleans to make the corporations wealthy.

I wish there was a smiley for sarcasm...

jonny

Flappycat said:
Relax: this isn't an attack on your beloved Chimp. This is shared by politicians and their voters going back to the original founding of New Orleans.
I don't know if this was directed at me, but please don't assume to know my political views. I was just trying to demonstrate how childish and pathetic the political blame game is. Neither "side" is innocent in this.

Flappycat

Alrighty, then. This changes the whole scene. This proves, without a doubt, that the levees didn't require wasteful funding in order to protect the city of New Orleans. Cutting funding to the levees must have been Bush's wisest act as president, and we should be more supportive of such efforts in the future. Oy, sheesh, my eyes are about to roll out of my head.

Thedore, just come clean: do you think that it was a wise judgement call to yank funding from the levees? Answer honestly, now.

Flappycat

jonny said:
I don't know if this was directed at me, but please don't assume to know my political views. I was just trying to demonstrate how childish and pathetic the political blame game is. Neither "side" is innocent in this.
Sheesh, calm down. It was directed at Theodore, who has made his political views quite clear on numerous occassions. Try to understand something: Bush has a powerful cult following, and every single one of them will go to their graves insisting that the dude's infallible. If I can get just one to believe that Bush is capable of making a bad judgement call, I'll have a nice, little piece of sunshine hovering at my shoulder for the following three months.

Oh, and believe me, Theodore: you and several other Bush loyalists are quite guilty of idolatry. Nothing I can do if you don't want to see him for the chimp he is, but try to remember that GWB is a mortal man.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Theodore said:
There have been many accusations lately about lack of levee funding being directly responsible for the flooding in New Orleans.

Don't get me started again on why New Orleans flooded, or I'm gonna have the Hindus and Yin-Yangs mad at me all over again.

Theodore

Flappycat said:
Alrighty, then. This changes the whole scene. This proves, without a doubt, that the levees didn't require wasteful funding in order to protect the city of New Orleans. Cutting funding to the levees must have been Bush's wisest act as president, and we should be more supportive of such efforts in the future. Oy, sheesh, my eyes are about to roll out of my head.

Thedore, just come clean: do you think that it was a wise judgement call to yank funding from the levees? Answer honestly, now.
Well, ok. If you had read the article you would have known that even if the funding were approved, work would not have begun before Katrina hit. And even if the work had been completed, NO would still have gotten flooded.

Besides, your buddy Farrakhan says it was all a racist plot to protect the white folks. And I heard on the internets that the barge that destroyed the levee was owned by Halliburton and remotely controlled by Karl Rove. And the real cause of the hurricane was the VRWC weather machine controlled by Pat Robertson. And Bush let it all happen on purpose.:)

Theodore

AV1611 said:
[/font][/size]

Don't get me started again on why New Orleans flooded, or I'm gonna have the Hindus and Yin-Yangs mad at me all over again.
Who are the Yin-Yangs and why were they mad at you? Do you have new information on the flooding?

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Flappycat said:
Relax: this isn't an attack on your beloved Chimp.

If you ever discover that no one takes you seriously, think back to remarks like this; just so you won't find the lack of respect unjustified.

AV1611 said:

AV, you are no better than Flappycat. Please show more respect for others and less contempt for people and beliefs you have not yet taken the time to understand.

Aqualung

Tasty
New Orleans flooded because it was a sea town built below sea level, right in the general path of hurricanes. It's pretty simple.

Ryan2065

Bush didn't screw up because he didn't forsee a hurricane years in advance. He screwed up for how he handled everything 3 days before the hurricane up till he apologized for being an idiot. =)

Pah

Uber all member
Theodore said:
Well, ok. If you had read the article you would have known that even if the funding were approved, work would not have begun before Katrina hit....
Let's see, in four almost five years ...
http://www.salon.com/opinion/blumenthal/2005/08/31/disaster_preparation/index_np.html

In 2004, the Bush administration cut the Corps of Engineers' request for holding back the waters of New Orleans' Lake Pontchartrain by more than 80 percent. Additional cuts at the beginning of this year (for a total reduction in funding of 44.2 percent since 2001) forced the Corps to impose a hiring freeze. The Senate had debated adding funds for fixing New Orleans levees, but it was too late.
http://www.salon.com/opinion/blumenthal/2005/08/31/disaster_preparation/index_np.html (same source as above)

In 2001, FEMA warned that a hurricane striking New Orleans was one of the three most likely disasters in the U.S. But the Bush administration cut New Orleans flood control funding by 44 percent to pay for the Iraq war.
http://michellemalkin.com/archives/003447.htm

Federal flood control spending for southeastern Louisiana has been chopped from $69 million in 2001 to $36.5 million in 2005, according to budget documents. Federal hurricane protection for the Lake Pontchartrain vicinity in the Army Corps of Engineers' budget dropped from $14.25 million in 2002 to $5.7 million this year. Louisiana Democratic Sen. Mary Landrieu requested $27 million this year.

Both the New Orleans Times-Picayune newspaper and a local business magazine reported that the effects of the budget cuts at the Army Corps of Engineers were severe.
But to be fair, the second link contains more of the complexity. I don't think it absolves Bush fro the blame properly placed on him.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
AV1611 said:
[/font][/size]

To be perfectly clear, I think if anyone was mad at anything, it was more due to calling them 'Yin-Yangs' and generalizing Hinduism then they were about anything you said about New Orleans. I wouldn't be particularly happy with people wanting to discuss my faith that way, either. ;)

Theodore

Pah said:
Let's see, in four almost five years ...
But to be fair, the second link contains more of the complexity. I don't think it absolves Bush fro the blame properly placed on him.
You still don't get it do you? Even if all the levy work was done and all the money approved, New Orleans would have still flooded! Let me repeat this, NEW ORLEANS WOULD HAVE STILL FLOODED. You might want to actually read the whole article I posted.
So, how was this Bush's fault? Should he have looked into his magic crystal ball to see when he should have forced mayor Nagin and Governor Blanco to get their act together? And why did New Orleans wait for the Feds to fix their levees? Why couldn't they fix their own damn levees?
Do you see how sites like Salon can give you faulty information. I would avoid that site in the future if you require accuracy instead of biased opinion.