• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Lucifer?

desideraht

Hellspawn
After reading the overview of the Luciferian path... I am wondering why Lucifer, and sigils of dark/black magick are used as symbols or a philosophy that sounds incredibly similar, if not identical to skepticism. I am asking because as a Satanist I know why I embrace the symbols/sigils of Satan and Lucifer. I do not understand why Luciferians, if they are purely rationalists, ascribe to these symbols, and the name of Lucifer, rather than any other.

I apologise if this has been sufficiently answered elsewhere. I did some reading before I posted the thread and am looking for some opinions and not just textbook answers. x)

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Is a satanist of your nature not a rationalist as well? Some Luciferians seem to be supernaturally inclined, not most though. The symbolism is much more vague as Lucifer is not a specific entity but rather an archetype. You fill in the blanks as needed in the ever evolving practice of magick. For me I highly prefer Egyptian, Hermetic, and Jewish symbols, including:
Pentagram
Hexagram
Heptagram
Ra
Ma'at
Thoth
Samael
Lilith
Baphomet
Leviathan
HGA
Khepri
etc

desideraht

Hellspawn
I am a rationalist generally speaking, but I also accept that it is human nature to have "irrational" portions to Myself, and I also understand Man's need/desire for Dogma and ritual.

I too like Egyptian symbols a lot, and don an ankh as a symbol of my Mortality. I do not literally see them as deities.

It just struck as odd to me that Luciferians would choose intentionally who they know to be a "shocking" icon. I understand Satanism's reasoning behind it.

Premium Member
Lucifer is only shocking to those who associate Lucifer and Satan.

desideraht

Hellspawn
Lol, since when did LHP adherents worry about common associations in Western Society?
...This is a valid point. It's just... well, I find Luciferianism very appealing. It's very rational. I'm just confounded as to why they chose this particular image. Lucifer fell. Lucifer failed. And Lucifer became an underdog. Is that what Luciferianism represents? I understand why Satanism has chosen this role. But Luciferianism... This is where I am confused.

Premium Member
...This is a valid point. It's just... well, I find Luciferianism very appealing. It's very rational. I'm just confounded as to why they chose this particular image. Lucifer fell. Lucifer failed. And Lucifer became an underdog. Is that what Luciferianism represents? I understand why Satanism has chosen this role. But Luciferianism... This is where I am confused.

This is only true in Christian mythology. I couldn't care less about Christian mythology.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I prefer Prometheus myself as a figure. I think He better shows the ideas, philosophies and the lhp nature better.

Twig pentagram

High Priest
After reading the overview of the Luciferian path... I am wondering why Lucifer, and sigils of dark/black magick are used as symbols or a philosophy that sounds incredibly similar, if not identical to skepticism. I am asking because as a Satanist I know why I embrace the symbols/sigils of Satan and Lucifer. I do not understand why Luciferians, if they are purely rationalists, ascribe to these symbols, and the name of Lucifer, rather than any other.

I apologise if this has been sufficiently answered elsewhere. I did some reading before I posted the thread and am looking for some opinions and not just textbook answers. x)

Its not lucifer, its luciferian.

desideraht

Hellspawn
I did not bash you nor did you respond to me.
I apologise, I actually did not know what to say. You stated your beliefs, I read them, I understood them, and that was about it. Not sure what I'm supposed to say to it other than, "Thanks for sharing." Your post did not strike me one way or the other, other than I learned "Okay some people use Prometheus as a figure. That is interesting." What else am I supposed to say?

Iti oj

Premium Member
[AlQUOTE=desideraht;3493472]I apologise, I actually did not know what to say. You stated your beliefs, I read them, I understood them, and that was about it. Not sure what I'm supposed to say to it other than, "Thanks for sharing." Your post did not strike me one way or the other, other than I learned "Okay some people use Prometheus as a figure. That is interesting." What else am I supposed to say?[/QUOTE]
And I think there in lies the problem. What are peope suppose to sa to question the have already answered our have no value in their paradigm? Also the nature of the lhp well..of couse we bicker,but no need to take it personaly.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Also the lhp is so indipendant...we do not encurge answering for you.

Premium Member
This is a discussion forum. Get over it. My question was respectful.

Posting links is cute and all but I wanted to hear people's actual opinions. And I have now. I may ask a mod to lock this thread since all the members wish to do now is bash Me in it.

There's been no bashing of any kind.

Premium Member
Ironically I see the Sun as a better symbol of Luciferianism, as a whole. Lucifer isn't the whole, it's the path, the road from point A to B. While Lucifer or an associated symbol brings enlightenment, the character is never the king of Gods or anything.

Premium Member
Historically Lucifer is associated with Venus, I'm saying a better symbol of the path is the Sun. The sun is that timeless energy and light, a forever flowing stream. It is Ra, whereas Lucifer is more analogous to Thoth. Just like Prometheus brought the fire of the Gods, like the serpent brought intelligence, like Lilith brought individuality, like Jesus brought the word, like Buddha attained Nirvana, etc etc etc. Lucifer is not the crown of the path, Lucifer is the guide.