• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is Visnu more popular?

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
Please, do not take this as sectarian and try not to take this from a theistic angle either.

The question is, why do you as a person and not a devotee, think Visnu is the most popular of the Trimurti. Perhaps it is the rituals? The beliefs of the sects? Something about Visnu has capture the heart of most Hidnus; maybe it is being associated with Krishna?

Conversely you can also put your arguments for Shiva is not more popular at this time (as the two seem to go as waves; first one and then the other forever and ever and can be witnessed in the modern history of Hinduism). I'm not including Shakti as regardless which God is reigning supreme at the time, She is always there.

Chakra

Premium Member
This is news to me. I always thought that Shiva was the most worshiped deity from the Trimurti, at least in India.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
What area are you talking about?
In the West? India? Fiji? Just in general?

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Perhaps the protector of our universe, the maintainer, is regarded as more important than the creation and destruction of it.

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
What area are you talking about?
In the West? India? Fiji? Just in general?

In general. Nepal is the only country where Shiva is worshiped as the primary deity. In general, why do you think it is that Visnu/Krishna is so popular in the general population?

Perhaps the protector of our universe, the maintainer, is regarded as more important than the creation and destruction of it.

Nu-uh, @Terese. That's sectarian. Each sect claims that their Deva does all three actions. Perhaps using the Trimurti as an example was a bad idea!

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
In general. Nepal is the only country where Shiva is worshiped as the primary deity. In general, why do you think it is that Visnu/Krishna is so popular in the general population?
Oh.
Perhaps personality?
Vishnu is really a nice guy. He's merciful, brave, strong, honorable in battle, but also a good loving husband. Many Hindus may identify strongly with Vishnu as they see such qualities as the perfect form of masculinity. Strong, intelligent and courageous but with a merciful heart and very honorable.
Krishna similarly is very likable and identifiable. He's mischievous and playful, bringing joy and merriment, which is a prominent part of Indian Cultural celebrations. Who doesn't like a lovable rogue after all?

Shiva is more mellow. He's a big softie at heart and is more prone to chilling on his mountain than being a warrior. He's more suited to those with chill or laid back dispositions. In today's fast paced world, that might be something to strive towards but not necessarily identifiable with a lot of people.

But I don't know really. People just like what they like and those likes usually come in waves by default anyway. So it could just be a human thing.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I can think of a couple of possible reasons, but like anything else, its really just speculation.

One is it's just history. Some sects developed faster, got spread by wars, enthusiasm, winning of debates, great sustained leadership, and more. So historically lots of things happened resulting in Vaishnavism being more popular world wide. So that would be a complicated historical scenario that put us where we are today regarding demographics.

The other possibility that comes to mind is that Vishnu is generally far more anthropomorphic in portrayal than Shiva in general, because of Nataraja, and the Lingam, one of which is totally non-anthropomorphic, and the other is practically a slender alien crteature. Perhaps the average Hindu just finds it easier to relate to an anthropomorphic God. Again, this is just speculation on my part, partly because I personally have difficulty with God being human-like, and actually prefer other forms. God looking like man seems oddly egocentric. I don't think God would look like man at all.

Good question.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member

Nu-uh, @Terese. That's sectarian. Each sect claims that their Deva does all three actions. Perhaps using the Trimurti as an example was a bad idea!
Whoops!

Bhadr

Please, do not take this as sectarian and try not to take this from a theistic angle either.

The question is, why do you as a person and not a devotee, think Visnu is the most popular of the Trimurti.

Sorry to bring this up but 'three gods' might be your belief,in my perspective,actually there are five gods.

http://www.religiousforums.com/threads/shaivism-discussion-thread.186758/page-5#post-4920632

Unless there are statistics to prove that one god is more popular than any other I'll have to consider the OP as a personal opinion only.(In a recent TV debate the followers of one deity(a new god from Maharashtra region) claimed that their new god was more popular than all the traditional Hindu gods put together.One person who called the show said that he never heard about Dwaraka but he knew about the place of this new deity which is located in Maharashtra).So,IMHO without real numbers,figures etc. this discussion is a futile exercise.

Nepal is the only country where Shiva is worshiped as the primary deity.
Oh,who is the presiding deity of India?This what is said in the scriptures.

Sri Suta Mahamuni said:
Although Siva is Lord of the universe still he is particularly the Lord of Bharata.

more prone to chilling on his mountain than being a warrior

:D
Probably you did not hear much about the adventures of our Siva,who is the chastiser of both the asuras and Devas.Tripura samhara,the death of the demons Andhakasura,Jalandhara,Gajasura,the burning of Kamadeva,vanquishing of Kala....................... and,that Him also slayed three thousand three hundred and thirty three Devas in the manner of sport.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Probably you did not hear much about the adventures of our Siva,who is the chastiser of both the asuras and Devas.Tripura samhara,the death of the demons Andhakasura,Jalandhara,Gajasura,the burning of Kamadeva,vanquishing of Kala....................... and,that Him also slayed three thousand three hundred and thirty three Devas in the manner of sport.
Course I did. I watched them as a kid in the Krishna serial lol.
But come on, Shiva is Shiva. He might act stoney faced, and fight sometimes, but we all know what a squishy hearted bloke he really is :D:p

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know the answer but it seems that the Mahabharata (which includes the Bhagavad Gita) and Ramayana are the most popular and known stories among Hindus and Vishnu is the primary God is these. Perhaps this is at least a factor contributing to Vishnu's popularity.

निताइ dasa

Nitai's servant's servant
Ignoring the scripture, I think it is the pastimes of the Lord which have attracted me the most. Lord Shiva, Durga Devi, Ganesh etc they all perform pastimes which are usually very grand. However the pastimes are Lord Vishnu and His Avatars are saturated with the Love He has for His devotees (and the Love they have for Him). The way that Lord Vishnu takes avatars in order to protect His dear ones. The way he accepts the form of a child in order to accept the Love of Maa Yashoda. The way He is always willing to get Himself into some trouble to bail His devotees out of trouble (cough cough, Indra). Lord Vishnu's pastimes are very human like, and they appeal to a wide range of our experiences as human (like the Maryada Puroshattama personality of Lord Rama, or the Lila Puroshattama personality of Lord Krsna). Also, many of the great acharyas of Vedanta (such as Ramanucharya, Madhavacharya, Lord Chaitanya, Vallabhacharya, Sridhara Svami) have always asserted Lord Vishnu as the ultimate worshippable diety, so people just follow along with that.

Lord Shiva is quite terrifying in some ways. While he is bholenath, still his external appearance (covered in skulls and ashes, surrounded by demons and ghosts) may actually deter some people. In-fact, very rarely have I seen Lord Shiva being worshiped in the same mood that Lord Narayana is worshiped. While Lord Narayana is worshiped in the sense that "You are God, and I am Your eternal servant", Lord Shiva is worshiped more like "Everything is a manifestation of Shiva, You are Shiva, I am Shiva, Shivoham Shivoham etc". There is a huge impersonal and personal contrast here generally, and this maybe a reason why people maybe more attracted to Lord Vishnu then Lord Shiva or other devas/devis..

Bhadr

Lord Shiva is quite terrifying in some ways. While he is bholenath, still his external appearance (covered in skulls and ashes, surrounded by demons and ghosts) may actually deter some people.

People tend to misunderstand; when surrounded by darkness a rope will appear like a snake.When the torch is switched on,the reality is realized.

z4_rajam_med.jpg

The neighbours gathered wailing loud and long,
Denied him now a name, called him corpse,
And bore him to the burning ghat and the body burnt,
Then a ceremonial dip--and memory dies as the hours lapse.
How soon the dead are forgotten.

Lord was he of our land, sole leader of our place,
Mounted now on palanquin for the ultimate journey's end;
Mourners walked behind, clashing drums beat afore;
Thus did the solemn show, in ample length, extend.

They hurried the body to flames.
Death strikes from life's enchanted cup,
Honeyed delights of wife, cherished treasures of heart;
Kinsmen bore him on bier to the common burning ghat,
And the burden discharged hurried home,
Having done their part.

The body to its final fate consigned,
Friends and kinsmen all dispersed;
But some remained;
Coveting riches of the dead some remain back,
long had they lusted for the dead man's wealth,
Intent on riches, men deem they could for ever hold,
Panting and pining for what they might carry by stealth.

They too finally depart cleansing themselves by a bath,
Mourning friends, weeping spouse, dear children all,
They but followed him to the river's edge--not a step beyond;
Then sorrow dropped its mark, quick the pyre was lit,
Then the plunge in water, heart-whole they, graceless band.

He is the Lord of all celestial beings,
Who wear bejewelled crowns of dazzling beauty;
But the Lord did bedeck Himself in Skull and Bone
How is it?
If He bears not skull and bone.
Dust unto dust will theirs be.

-Sri Mantramala (Tirumantram)

Thus in order to redeem them,Lord Siva,the auspicious One,wears their remains which are scorned and abandoned by everyone else on His own Self,keeping His devotees always close to His heart.Even when all have forgotten He does not.O Lord Siva,unfathomable are your ways and matchless is the Love you have for your devotees!

t5_rajam_med.jpg

In-fact, very rarely have I seen Lord Shiva being worshiped in the same mood that Lord Narayana is worshiped.There is a huge impersonal and personal contrast here generally, and this maybe a reason why people maybe more attracted to Lord Vishnu then Lord Shiva or other devas/devis..

There are dualistic,monistic,qualified non dualistic etc Shaiva schools.(Southern)Saiva Siddhanta Sampradaya itself has two schools and dualistic Shaivism is quite popular in Tamil Nadu.There is a lot of diversity and diverse practices within Shaivism.

निताइ dasa

Nitai's servant's servant
There are dualistic,monistic,qualified non dualistic etc Shaiva schools.(Southern)Saiva Siddhanta Sampradaya itself has two schools and dualistic Shaivism is quite popular in Tamil Nadu.There is a lot of diversity and diverse practices within Shaivism

Yup I am aware of the Dualistic schools of Shavism. Its just a general thing I've observed in my interaction with members of various Samprdayas. Many of the Shaivas I've met lean towards Adwaita, while most of the Vaishnavs strongly disagree with Adwaita.

Thus in order to redeem them,Lord Siva,the auspicious One,wears their remains which are scorned and abandoned by everyone else on His own Self,keeping His devotees always close to His heart.Even when all have forgotten He does not.O Lord Siva,unfathomable are your ways and matchless is the Love you have for your devotees!

Yup Lord Shiva is truly merciful, we can agree on that! When I think about Lord Shivas role in our universe, (from a Vaishnav POV), I can't help but melt at his abundant mercy to the fallen jivas. How he drank the poison from the Samudra Manthan, and also how he is giving instructions to us in the form of the Tantra Shastras. I always pray for the day when Shiva Shambhu will allow me to enter to the Holy Dhama and see the pastimes of the Lord.

Last edited: