• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is there only one species of human?

Mr Cheese

:rolleyes:As an Englishman

I have to say i thinkt he French and possibly the Welsh are a different species of human)(

Mr Cheese

Actually, it just occured to me that you could ask the same question of any other speicies on the planet. There is only one species of each species.

uh no....

the chimpanzee and the bonobo chimp for example....

not to mention INSECTS......

Chimpanzee, sometimes colloquially chimp, is the common name for the two extant species of ape in the genus Pan where the Congo River forms the boundary between the native habitat of the two species:[2]
Chimpanzees are members of the Hominidae family, along with gorillas, humans, and orangutans. Chimpanzee are thought to have split from human evolution about 6 million years ago and thus the two chimpanzee species are the closest living relatives to humans, all being members of the Hominini tribe (along with extinct species of Hominina subtribe). Chimpanzees are the only known members of the Panina subtribe. The two Pan species split only about one million years ago.

Chimpanzee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

themadhair

uh no....

the chimpanzee and the bonobo chimp for example....

not to mention INSECTS......

Chimpanzee, sometimes colloquially chimp, is the common name for the two extant species of ape in the genus Pan where the Congo River forms the boundary between the native habitat of the two species:[2]
Chimpanzees are members of the Hominidae family, along with gorillas, humans, and orangutans. Chimpanzee are thought to have split from human evolution about 6 million years ago and thus the two chimpanzee species are the closest living relatives to humans, all being members of the Hominini tribe (along with extinct species of Hominina subtribe). Chimpanzees are the only known members of the Panina subtribe. The two Pan species split only about one million years ago.

Chimpanzee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Erm....well.....someone missed the point....

Think about the question - why can there only be one of any species? Think about why it is a tautology.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Chimps and bonobos are different species... same genus.

Now if you want to talk about sub-species like the Eastern sub-species of Chimp (Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii) then we may have something.

wa:do

MissAlice

The mighty Wiki

One of the popular theories is, that modern humans pushed neanderthals into extinction.

modern human beings are all thats left of the different hominids that walked the lands in the last million years.

It is a theory though.

Modern humans pushing neanderthals to extinction still makes to no sense to me since we still have primates that were around as long as humans and neanerthals. Even though I truly believe in evolution, much of these evolutionary theories are still but theories. There is still no physical evidence of humans evolving from apes. Yet I could see why it would be highly probably given the DNA we share with certain primates.

Anyway, I've often wondered this too.

MissAlice

As oppose to modern apes...

You apparently missed the context in my post regarding the evolutionary theory in humans and apes and the link between them both.

themadhair

You apparently missed the context in my post regarding the evolutionary theory in humans and apes and the link between them both.
I missed that context too, likely on account of it making no sense.

Lets be rigorous here. The claim being forwarded by evolutionary theory is that humans share a common ancestor with the other extant apes. Taxonomically we are apes, but people who know squat about biology tend to miss/ignore that fact. What you really mean when you refer to a ‘link’ is the transitional forms between modern humans and that ape-like ancestor we share in common with the other apes.

Here are those links:
hominids2.jpg

Also – learn what a scientific theory actually is.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
It is a theory though.

Modern humans pushing neanderthals to extinction still makes to no sense to me since we still have primates that were around as long as humans and neanerthals. Even though I truly believe in evolution, much of these evolutionary theories are still but theories. There is still no physical evidence of humans evolving from apes. Yet I could see why it would be highly probably given the DNA we share with certain primates.

Anyway, I've often wondered this too.
humans and neanderthals ate the same food, used the same resources and lived in the same places. Humans and the great apes until recently did none of these things... now all of the great apes are facing extinction within the next couple decades.

soon we wont be wondering why there aren't other human species... but why there are no other apes at all.

we don't like to share.

wa:do