• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is the US not being told of Global Warming?

Bishka

Veteran Member
Taken from DeSmogBlog:

nw_leftnavcov_OV_061016.jpg

http://www.desmogblog.com/newsweek-alerts-almost-the-whole-world-to-global-warming

Why on earth do we have a different cover? Shouldn't we care about the environment or is that scandal the best we can sell?

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Because American corporations pay faux scientists to pretend there is some disagreement as to whether or not global warming exists. There may indeed be disagreement, on Exxon's governing board, but not in the scientific world.

People here have given up on America when it comes to the environment (and many other things, since the Iraq war). Even China has scored more points than America in this sphere. European countries are also among the worst in the world, but the average European still uses a fraction of the energy, and generates a fraction of the waste, of an average American.

So... hands in the air, we give up.

The polar ice caps have already reached the stage where their melting is self-fueling and no matter what we do, they will now continue to melt. New Orleans, New York, Shanghai, Venica - they've all got only a few decades left now. Investment in Venica, for example, has already plumetted and in American newspapers you wouldn't even know that people had determined what was happening yet.

Inky

Here's something funny I learned...U.S. car companies can't export to China because American cars don't meet Chinese emission standards.

Ciscokid

I think Acura is selling some of their cars to China. I thought the US was starting to make some pretty green cars these days.

nutshell

Inky said:
Here's something funny I learned...U.S. car companies can't export to China because American cars don't meet Chinese emission standards.

And there's some European cars that can't export to the U.S. because they don't meet California emission standards.

Ciscokid

America is a wealthy country that loves material possessions. Therefore we have a lot of **** to throw away.

Smoke

Done here.
jmoum said:
Heck, the article might still even be in this week's Newsweek. I think the reason that they're not focusing on the issue here in the U.S. is because it's election season, and congressional scandals are a much hotter issue than global warming is at the moment. It sucks when you think about it, but then again, America doesn't always have its priorities straight.
I haven't read that issue yet, but I don't see anything about global warming in the table of contents. Most likely, the story was bumped to make room for political BS.

GloriaPatri said:
Um, most Americans know that global warming is happening. There is no conspiracy to cover it up.
Well, there is. Everybody knows that it's happening, but there's definite campaign to put out disinformation about it. Exxon dumps piles of money into the disinformation campaign, and the Republican Party and Fox News are always willing to do their part. The argument goes something like this: Global warming is no big deal; don't you worry your pretty little head about it. Besides, whatever tiny little bit of global warming there may be, it's just part of a natural cycle; it doesn't have anything at all to do with anything humans are doing.

We were boycotting Exxon even before we started boycotting WalMart.

But as Maize says, the information is out there, and the American people as whole couldn't care less. What we want is bigger cars and cheaper gas.

I have a friend who was married with one child. She and her husband both drove SUVs. Then they had another baby, so my friend had to trade her SUV in on an even bigger SUV. "I need something bigger, with the new baby." Hey, when I was a kid, you could fit a family of five into a Ford Falcon. How big is your freaking baby?

Frankly, I wish gas were $18 a gallon. Then we might pay attention.

Bishka

Veteran Member
MidnightBlue said:
Well, there is. Everybody knows that it's happening, but there's definite campaign to put out disinformation about it. Exxon dumps piles of money into the disinformation campaign, and the Republican Party and Fox News are always willing to do their part. The argument goes something like this: Global warming is no big deal; don't you worry your pretty little head about it. Besides, whatever tiny little bit of global warming there may be, it's just part of a natural cycle; it doesn't have anything at all to do with anything humans are doing.

You'd be surprised about much disinformation is being put out, because of a college professor, my husband thinks that global warming is a bunch of hooey. This college professor is a geology professor and a former employee of both the Yucca Mountain Project and several oil companies. Personally, as nice as the guy is, I believe he has an agenda to push.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
America, alas, has become a government of the corporations, by the corporations and for the corporations. Concern with global warming could damage the next quarter's stock prices, therefore, it is supressed in the mainstream media. The facts are there in the scientific literature and alternative press, but these are not the media of the masses.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Seyorni said:
America, alas, has become a government of the corporations, by the corporations and for the corporations. Concern with global warming could damage the next quarter's stock prices, therefore, it is supressed in the mainstream media. The facts are there in the scientific literature and alternative press, but these are not the media of the masses.

And that is accompanied by our need for cheaper prices. The simply feed our need, and they are happy to do so.

As much as I agree, people are the driving factors for corportation actions. We want bigger cars, they'll give it to us. We want cheaper tool, they'll give it to us.

GloriaPatri

Not saying I agree, but I think it's kind of funny that any information that doesn't conform to your views and information is considered 'dis-information'.