• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I'm Seeking in Sikhi

Treks

So I was trying to succinctly summarise my personal philosophy for my friend. This is how I summed it up.

My philosophy is based on the belief that there is an Ultimate Reality/Creative Force that existed in the very beginning, exists now and will continue to exist when everything is gone. The reality we perceive is transient and everything will be destroyed, therefore it is temporary and 'not real'. By focusing on the Ultimate Reality that exists behind this temporary one, we can gain inner stability and contentment and go forth in our world and lives with courage and happiness (chardi kala) working hard, sharing, caring, enjoying life and being good people.​

This is what I believe Sikhi teaches, and what I am searching for is to make sure it does. To really, truly understand the Gurbani and ensure my beliefs aren't based on my wandering mind's whim, but on the same page at Guru Sahib. I'm searching for certainty, and I hope I find it in time to be able to express it to others in a way they might be able to understand, too.

karn1299s

It's a very tough project. Few main complications are such as guru granth sahib g to is written not just in gurmukhi but also in farsi, hindi and couple more, so this makes it tough for anyone to understand completely. Secondly it could be translated differently when it's explained in punjabi so by the time someone explains in English they were unable to bring out the depths. Also sikhism is so hard to follow that their own kind is falling off tracks.
But all in all if u understand it, that will have you feel like on top of the world. Actually words couldn't describe what it feels like...... Gudluk

Treks

It's a very tough project. Few main complications are such as guru granth sahib g to is written not just in gurmukhi but also in farsi, hindi and couple more, so this makes it tough for anyone to understand completely. Secondly it could be translated differently when it's explained in punjabi so by the time someone explains in English they were unable to bring out the depths.

There are quite a few good resources out there now, like Gurbani -> English dictionaries and steeks (although the steeks are in Punjabi), sadly. At least the dictionaries remove the problem of the multiple languages seen in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, you are right that it's difficult to translate philosophical/spiritual/abstract concepts from one culture into another in a way a non-native can appreciate.

It is further complicated because even the Punjabi language Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is written in is in a) a 'classical' type of Punjabi, the equivalent of Ye Olde English to an English speaker, and b) in poetry with often multiple subtle layers, puns, plays-on-words and similes that are culture-specific. Even modern-day Punjabi speakers need dictionaries and steeks to understand it!

At least it's all written in a clear and logical script!

Also sikhism is so hard to follow that their own kind is falling off tracks.

I think it's made unnecessarily difficult, and there is a distinct lack of embracing the non-amritdhari part of the community. I think, if Sikhi could relax a little bit to be more encouraging and inclusive of non-amritdhari Sikhs, we would have more people living their faith more consciously, and more people taking their blessing of khande di pahul (initiation) more seriously.

But all in all if u understand it, that will have you feel like on top of the world. Actually words couldn't describe what it feels like...... Gudluk

Brother/sister, what is your background? Are you Sikh, or have you tasted the sweet amrit through another spiritual path?

karn1299s

Brother would be just fine.
I certainly have not tasted amrit or should i say i am not clean enough that I could even wish for it, surely i sound like a muslim in hollywood movies like im saying a dialogue of a movie.
What im trying to say is doesn't matter how much you mix water and oil one can always see two different substances, likewise if you wanna taste god like substance you would have to be atlest soluble, like sugar. Not pure but pure enough.

Just like bible says "clean soul" is the key to eternity