• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I wouldn't be convinced even if I wasn't already unconvinced

rosends

I’m sure this has been said before but I, out of the blue, came up with this idea also, so I wanted to put it down in words to clear my brain cache.

People ask why I don’t accept the truth of particular other religions. They try to show me how their figurehead is in the texts that I do accept. How is it, they ask, that I cannot see that their divine character is clearly in the texts?

I have tried to answer from my position as a religious person who understand the texts differently. I have argued on linguistic/semantic grounds, on historical grounds and on theological grounds. But what dawned on me is that all of my arguments are self serving – yes, I know this, but that they are going against a series of separately self-serving arguments. We find what we seek, right? And sure, I’m a heckuva guy in that I can admit that my arguments are circularly self-justifying, but that doesn’t confer any additional persuasive gravitas on them.

But then I realized that the best answer might be one that transcends these religious contexts.

Let’s say I picked up a Jewish bible, and read it cover to cover. But only it. Would I have any idea that its contents are referring to a character who was not alive when it was composed? Take a random atheist who is not worried about “history” per se, but who is looking to be convinced by the text; would he, after reading the text, say “hey, this all seems to be about someone who is neither named nor explicitly identified in the words of the text”?

There are two categories of textual citations as it refers to the finding of Jesus in the Jewish biblical texts: references/descriptions and prophecies. In the former, the text describes a character (“he is tall”) and in the second, the text explains a future set of historical events (“he will drive a Maserati.”)

If one wants to find meaning in the text by then “explaining” it via a different text, then that already presents (IMHO) a failed position. Take Isaiah 53. Christians, for centuries have insisted that the text speaks of Jesus even though Jesus is not mentioned in the text. Forget who else anyone might say the text is talking about, just look at the words. There is simply no Jesus there. If the expectation on an atheist is that he or she should accept that the text is about Jesus because a person of faith cites a separate text whose authority demands that a person, a priori, has faith, then I can’t see how any atheist would be swayed.

So the Christian says to the atheist “see that verse? It is about Jesus.” The atheist says “I see no Jesus there – can you show me?” The Christian responds “this phrase is reminiscent of that one, and this statement can easily be applied to Jesus as depicted in the gospels.” The atheist then asks “so without the gospels, you wouldn’t see Jesus in here?” The Christian might say “It is prefiguring Jesus, so even without mentioning him, it has a meaning that is applied to him.” The atheist (I believe) would be in the clear saying “but it isn’t in the text – just in the interpretation.”

Look, I know that a Christian won’t be convinced if I show him a verse In the book which says “A=B” when “B” is not Jesus. I’m fine with that. But he won’t convince anyone when he says “A=C” and tries to explain it as “C is in a completely different book. He isn’t at all in A’s book unless you read the other book and accept it as authoritative and already accept that C true and real.”

The same holds true for any of the supposed messianic prophecies. The Christian says “this points to Jesus as described in the gospels.” The atheist simply has to say “but believing the gospels is required to accept that the text is validated through the gospels!” Someone outside of that belief system would not see Jesus in the prophecy until that person stepped IN to the belief system. Until then, someone outside of the belief system would have a strong reason to say “I don’t see Jesus in that reference.” The atheist could just as easily say “I don’t see anyone in that reference (or, I could see anyone in that prophecy…lots of people drive Maseratis) and the text isn’t clear about who it means – if the text can’t spell it out, it isn’t much of a prophecy.” This creates a double reason not to accept: there is a flaw in the nature of the prophecy and there is a required belief in order to accept that the text that tells of the prophecy’s fulfillment according to one set of beliefs is accurate. How can anyone expect a non-believer to dismiss those challenges?

It seems to me that the acid test for conclusively making a case is the impact the text would have on the reader without any intermediary. Would an atheist, picking up the Jewish bible, leave with any inkling that the text, at any point, is about Jesus? Not, would the atheist think it is about anyone else, but would that atheist know Jesus, be able to predict Jesus or anything else related to Jesus through just that text?

My beliefs require belief. And that’s convenient because I believe. My beliefs are steeped in the wording/language of a text given to a group that shares my beliefs in a language shared with those who share my belief. But I know that someone who doesn’t share my belief can easily dismiss my texts, my proofs and my beliefs. I’m OK with that. It just seems like an even more ridiculous ask to expect that someone reads the same texts and, especially in the context of “no beliefs” see the text as pointing to a character who simply is not in the text.

Colt

It seems to me that the acid test for conclusively making a case is the impact the text would have on the reader without any intermediary. Would an atheist, picking up the Jewish bible, leave with any inkling that the text, at any point, is about Jesus? Not, would the atheist think it is about anyone else, but would that atheist know Jesus, be able to predict Jesus or anything else related to Jesus through just that text?

You have a completely valid point. My question to you then is, was there an expectation of the arrival of a "deliverer" or messianic figure in the times that Jesus purportedly lived, taught and acquired a following among Jewish people familiar with the same text?

* If there was an expectation then where did that come from?

rosends

You have a completely valid point. My question to you then is, was there an expectation of the arrival of a "deliverer" or messianic figure in the times that Jesus purportedly lived, taught and acquired a following among Jewish people familiar with the same text?

* If there was an expectation then where did that come from?
I believe that there was an expectation fed by a belief in the Jewish texts, supplemented by an oral law/tradition passed down through Judaism. There had been other claimants to the position, and there were more after Jesus' death. None is named in the text so any would have to have been read into the meaning.

101G

Addressing the OP only. I commend you on your honest apprioach..... ok. but why say all this? is as you said it's self serving.
so, why not take the main problem out of the equation.... "SELF", and let the scripture speak for themself.

example, YOU said there is no "JESUS" in Isaiah 53. now take self out and Listen to the scriptures. LISTEN,
STEP #1. Isaiah 53:1 "Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?" what is about to be REVEAL here? answer, God's OWN ARM correct. question, who is God's .... "OWN ARM?", God himself, in the ECHAD, correct, supportive scripture, Isaiah 63:5 "And I looked, and there was none to help; and I wondered that there was none to uphold: therefore mine own arm brought salvation unto me; and my fury, it upheld me."

so God's "OWN ARM" is he himself, Correct, follow so far. so the ARM revealed in Isaiah 53 is not Israel. can you understand that so far?

God's OWN ARM is him.

STEP #2. Isaiah 63: 5 said his OWN ARM "brought" salvation unto himself, so in order to bring, it must first was "SENT" correct. remember, we're speaking of God's OWN ARM. now the question again, is WHO, or WHAT was sent "of" God to bring SALVATION unto himself?

and Isaiah 53 is the Who, supportive by Isaiah 35:4 and this "ARM" of, of, of, of, God is clearly explained in 2 Chronicles 32

101G

rosends

Addressing the OP only. I commend you on your honest apprioach..... ok. but why say all this? is as you said it's self serving.
so, why not take the main problem out of the equation.... "SELF", and let the scripture speak for themself.

example, YOU said there is no "JESUS" in Isaiah 53. now take self out and Listen to the scriptures. LISTEN,
STEP #1. Isaiah 53:1 "Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?" what is about to be REVEAL here? answer, God's OWN ARM correct. question, who is God's .... "OWN ARM?", God himself, in the ECHAD, correct, supportive scripture, Isaiah 63:5 "And I looked, and there was none to help; and I wondered that there was none to uphold: therefore mine own arm brought salvation unto me; and my fury, it upheld me."

so God's "OWN ARM" is he himself, Correct, follow so far. so the ARM revealed in Isaiah 53 is not Israel. can you understand that so far?

God's OWN ARM is him.

STEP #2. Isaiah 63: 5 said his OWN ARM "brought" salvation unto himself, so in order to bring, it must first was "SENT" correct. remember, we're speaking of God's OWN ARM. now the question again, is WHO, or WHAT was sent "of" God to bring SALVATION unto himself?

and Isaiah 53 is the Who, supportive by Isaiah 35:4 and this "ARM" of, of, of, of, God is clearly explained in 2 Chronicles 32

101G
where in any of this do you see mention of Jesus? Without your particular interpretive gymnastics, where would a reader of the text see Jesus' name?

101G

where in any of this do you see mention of Jesus? Without your particular interpretive gymnastics, where would a reader of the text see Jesus' name?
no interpretive gymnastics, just scripture, let's reveal it, and establish it, by the word of God. see you say interpretive gymnastics, your own bible say, this, Isaiah 28:10 "For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:" Isaiah 28:11 "For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people." NOW THIS, Isaiah 28:13 "But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken." so the interpretive gymnastics is taken away,

NOW, #1, who is "God's .... OWN ARM" please answer. see Isaiah 63:5. and Isaiah 35:4.

your answer please.

101G.

Colt

no interpretive gymnastics, just scripture, let's reveal it, and establish it, by the word of God. see you say interpretive gymnastics, your own bible say, this, Isaiah 28:10 "For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:" Isaiah 28:11 "For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people." NOW THIS, Isaiah 28:13 "But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken." so the interpretive gymnastics is taken away,

NOW, #1, who is "God's .... OWN ARM" please answer. see Isaiah 63:5. and Isaiah 35:4.

your answer please.

101G.
I think it comes down to an issue of the person Jesus not fulfilling the expectations of the Messianic figure extrapolated from the scriptures. Rosends has acknowledged that there was an anticipation of a deliver in those times as well as claimants before and after.

* The followers of Jesus believed him to be the Jewish Messiah.

* Jesus of Nazareth did NOT fulfill the expectations of the Messiah in his lifetime.

* One could argue that Jesus was vague and cryptic about his identity and certainly didn't publicly preach that he was the Jewish Messiah.

101G

I think it comes down to an issue of the person Jesus not fulfilling the expectations of the Messianic figure extrapolated from the scriptures. Rosends has acknowledged that there was an anticipation of a deliver in those times as well as claimants before and after.

* The followers of Jesus believed him to be the Jewish Messiah.

* Jesus of Nazareth did NOT fulfill the expectations of the Messiah in his lifetime.

* One could argue that Jesus was vague and cryptic about his identity and certainly didn't publicly preach that he was the Jewish Messiah.
the Lord Jesus fulfilled all

101G.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I’m sure this has been said before but I, out of the blue, came up with this idea also, so I wanted to put it down in words to clear my brain cache.

People ask why I don’t accept the truth of particular other religions. They try to show me how their figurehead is in the texts that I do accept. How is it, they ask, that I cannot see that their divine character is clearly in the texts?

I have tried to answer from my position as a religious person who understand the texts differently. I have argued on linguistic/semantic grounds, on historical grounds and on theological grounds. But what dawned on me is that all of my arguments are self serving – yes, I know this, but that they are going against a series of separately self-serving arguments. We find what we seek, right? And sure, I’m a heckuva guy in that I can admit that my arguments are circularly self-justifying, but that doesn’t confer any additional persuasive gravitas on them.

But then I realized that the best answer might be one that transcends these religious contexts.

Let’s say I picked up a Jewish bible, and read it cover to cover. But only it. Would I have any idea that its contents are referring to a character who was not alive when it was composed? Take a random atheist who is not worried about “history” per se, but who is looking to be convinced by the text; would he, after reading the text, say “hey, this all seems to be about someone who is neither named nor explicitly identified in the words of the text”?

There are two categories of textual citations as it refers to the finding of Jesus in the Jewish biblical texts: references/descriptions and prophecies. In the former, the text describes a character (“he is tall”) and in the second, the text explains a future set of historical events (“he will drive a Maserati.”)

If one wants to find meaning in the text by then “explaining” it via a different text, then that already presents (IMHO) a failed position. Take Isaiah 53. Christians, for centuries have insisted that the text speaks of Jesus even though Jesus is not mentioned in the text. Forget who else anyone might say the text is talking about, just look at the words. There is simply no Jesus there. If the expectation on an atheist is that he or she should accept that the text is about Jesus because a person of faith cites a separate text whose authority demands that a person, a priori, has faith, then I can’t see how any atheist would be swayed.

So the Christian says to the atheist “see that verse? It is about Jesus.” The atheist says “I see no Jesus there – can you show me?” The Christian responds “this phrase is reminiscent of that one, and this statement can easily be applied to Jesus as depicted in the gospels.” The atheist then asks “so without the gospels, you wouldn’t see Jesus in here?” The Christian might say “It is prefiguring Jesus, so even without mentioning him, it has a meaning that is applied to him.” The atheist (I believe) would be in the clear saying “but it isn’t in the text – just in the interpretation.”

Look, I know that a Christian won’t be convinced if I show him a verse In the book which says “A=B” when “B” is not Jesus. I’m fine with that. But he won’t convince anyone when he says “A=C” and tries to explain it as “C is in a completely different book. He isn’t at all in A’s book unless you read the other book and accept it as authoritative and already accept that C true and real.”

The same holds true for any of the supposed messianic prophecies. The Christian says “this points to Jesus as described in the gospels.” The atheist simply has to say “but believing the gospels is required to accept that the text is validated through the gospels!” Someone outside of that belief system would not see Jesus in the prophecy until that person stepped IN to the belief system. Until then, someone outside of the belief system would have a strong reason to say “I don’t see Jesus in that reference.” The atheist could just as easily say “I don’t see anyone in that reference (or, I could see anyone in that prophecy…lots of people drive Maseratis) and the text isn’t clear about who it means – if the text can’t spell it out, it isn’t much of a prophecy.” This creates a double reason not to accept: there is a flaw in the nature of the prophecy and there is a required belief in order to accept that the text that tells of the prophecy’s fulfillment according to one set of beliefs is accurate. How can anyone expect a non-believer to dismiss those challenges?

My beliefs require belief. And that’s convenient because I believe. My beliefs are steeped in the wording/language of a text given to a group that shares my beliefs in a language shared with those who share my belief. But I know that someone who doesn’t share my belief can easily dismiss my texts, my proofs and my beliefs. I’m OK with that. It just seems like an even more ridiculous ask to expect that someone reads the same texts and, especially in the context of “no beliefs” see the text as pointing to a character who simply is not in the text.
You raise some good points.

We all use mental models to understand the world, and in general, those models agree with reality pretty well regardless of religious beliefs or lack thereof.

... and it takes a lot for someone to completely abandon their mental model and adopt a new one. If we do encounter problems with our mental model, it's generally more reasonable to tweak the model we have a bit than to get rid of it completely.

101G

Reality stinks sometimes but it's the only place to get a hot meal!

You are mistaken, Jesus left and didn't fulfill the expectations of the Jewish Messiah.
first ERROR of the Day, he's not just only the Jewish Messiah. now stick around and watch the Menu..... :cool:,,,,, (smile).

101G.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Years ago at high school, in a science class, I was doing an experiment that involved measurement, using a ruler. The next step was to work out some ratios using division. I proudly wrote down my answers, rounded off to four decimal places. The teacher took one look, and asked me "Can you measure to four decimal places with a ruler?"

Putting it more simply, you can't get a quart out of a pint pot, no matter how hard you squeeze it.

Somehow though, theologians seem to think that scripture is infinitely squeezable, and more and more meaning can be extracted from it by examining it in more and more detail. If you don't believe me, read what Jewish Rabbis have written over the centuries. ;)

101G

so it isn;t actually in the text explicitly. Thank you for proving my point.
to rosends, and to many of the Hebrew language. that's why many are blind, they see only with their eyes. Listen and LEARN. God's OWN ARM is HIM, which came in flesh, the Messiah.

words, ..... one needs to know.
Objective, Subjective... this is where anthropomorphism comes in at, as well as abstract and concrete. better known as FIRST and LAST.... :D

God's OWN ARM is an abstraction for God's POWER being MANIFESTED or displayed in Human form. scripture. Isaiah 63:10 "But they rebelled, and vexed his holy Spirit: therefore he was turned to be their enemy, and he fought against them." Isaiah 63:11 "Then he remembered the days of old, Moses, and his people, saying, Where is he that brought them up out of the sea with the shepherd of his flock? where is he that put his holy Spirit within him?" Isaiah 63:12 "That led them by the right hand of Moses with his glorious arm, dividing the water before them, to make himself an everlasting name?" here, God's ARM is spoken of Metaphorically mdeaning his "POWER". arm POWER.

the ARM of God is Manifested in human Form as in the human saviours he sent time after time to relieve them of their oppressors. this is clearly understood in 2 Chronicles 32. school is in,

when Sennacherib king of Assyria invaded Judah, king Hezekiah, and the people, fortifies themselves. but here it the teaching that is reveling. after talking to the LORD, king Hezekiah, he spoke to the people. LISTEN, 2 Chronicles 32:7 "Be strong and courageous, be not afraid nor dismayed for the king of Assyria, nor for all the multitude that is with him: for there be more with us than with him:" 2 Chronicles 32:8 "With him is an arm of flesh; but with us is the LORD our God to help us, and to fight our battles. And the people rested themselves upon the words of Hezekiah king of Judah."

this ARM of FLESH here is Sennacherib king of Assyria, fighting men, his military. his POWER was in his fighting men, his ARMY.

in God case with Israel, as I have said before, God sent human saviours overs and over to "DELIEVER./SAVE" his people from physical oppression. but the ROOT CAUSE of this physical oppression was a spiritual condition called SIN, which no HUMAN Saviour can deliver you from. so, as before a search was on as to who could go for God and deliver his people FROM THEIR SIN, for all have sinned. well none was found. now what? answer, scripture, Isaiah 63:4 "For the day of vengeance is in mine heart, and the year of my redeemed is come." Isaiah 63:5 "And I looked, and there was none to help; and I wondered that there was none to uphold: therefore mine own arm brought salvation unto me; and my fury, it upheld me."

the day of vengeance was on sin, and not a people. and it was God who came in flesh as the Ordinal Last... JESUS, the Messiah. scripture, Isaiah 35:4 "Say to them that are of a fearful heart, Be strong, fear not: behold, your God will come with vengeance, even God with a recompence; he will come and save you."

so, who is the saviour with vengeance on sin? answer, God, the Lord Jesus.

101G.

rosends

Years ago at high school, in a science class, I was doing an experiment that involved measurement, using a ruler. The next step was to work out some ratios using division. I proudly wrote down my answers, rounded off to four decimal places. The teacher took one look, and asked me "Can you measure to four decimal places with a ruler?"

Putting it more simply, you can't get a quart out of a pint pot, no matter how hard you squeeze it.

Somehow though, theologians seem to think that scripture is infinitely squeezable, and more and more meaning can be extracted from it by examining it in more and more detail. If you don't believe me, read what Jewish Rabbis have written over the centuries. ;)
Speaking as one of the Jewish Rabbis, I have no problem getting a quart out of a pint. I just don't expect anyone else to understand or accept the quart from me.

rosends

to rosends, and to many of the Hebrew language. that's why many are blind, they see only with their eyes. Listen and LEARN. God's OWN ARM is HIM, which came in flesh, the Messiah.

words, ..... one needs to know.
Objective, Subjective... this is where anthropomorphism comes in at, as well as abstract and concrete. better known as FIRST and LAST.... :D

God's OWN ARM is an abstraction for God's POWER being MANIFESTED or displayed in Human form. scripture. Isaiah 63:10 "But they rebelled, and vexed his holy Spirit: therefore he was turned to be their enemy, and he fought against them." Isaiah 63:11 "Then he remembered the days of old, Moses, and his people, saying, Where is he that brought them up out of the sea with the shepherd of his flock? where is he that put his holy Spirit within him?" Isaiah 63:12 "That led them by the right hand of Moses with his glorious arm, dividing the water before them, to make himself an everlasting name?" here, God's ARM is spoken of Metaphorically mdeaning his "POWER". arm POWER.

the ARM of God is Manifested in human Form as in the human saviours he sent time after time to relieve them of their oppressors. this is clearly understood in 2 Chronicles 32. school is in,

when Sennacherib king of Assyria invaded Judah, king Hezekiah, and the people, fortifies themselves. but here it the teaching that is reveling. after talking to the LORD, king Hezekiah, he spoke to the people. LISTEN, 2 Chronicles 32:7 "Be strong and courageous, be not afraid nor dismayed for the king of Assyria, nor for all the multitude that is with him: for there be more with us than with him:" 2 Chronicles 32:8 "With him is an arm of flesh; but with us is the LORD our God to help us, and to fight our battles. And the people rested themselves upon the words of Hezekiah king of Judah."

this ARM of FLESH here is Sennacherib king of Assyria, fighting men, his military. his POWER was in his fighting men, his ARMY.

in God case with Israel, as I have said before, God sent human saviours overs and over to "DELIEVER./SAVE" his people from physical oppression. but the ROOT CAUSE of this physical oppression was a spiritual condition called SIN, which no HUMAN Saviour can deliver you from. so, as before a search was on as to who could go for God and deliver his people FROM THEIR SIN, for all have sinned. well none was found. now what? answer, scripture, Isaiah 63:4 "For the day of vengeance is in mine heart, and the year of my redeemed is come." Isaiah 63:5 "And I looked, and there was none to help; and I wondered that there was none to uphold: therefore mine own arm brought salvation unto me; and my fury, it upheld me."

the day of vengeance was on sin, and not a people. and it was God who came in flesh as the Ordinal Last... JESUS, the Messiah. scripture, Isaiah 35:4 "Say to them that are of a fearful heart, Be strong, fear not: behold, your God will come with vengeance, even God with a recompence; he will come and save you."

so, who is the saviour with vengeance on sin? answer, God, the Lord Jesus.

101G.
so, again, through all of your interpretations, you cannot show me Jesus in the text. Just your derivation and interpretation. If you want to, as you say, stick with " just scripture" you have yet to show Jesus in the scripture. You have only shown Jesus in your interpretation of scripture. Now, again, I'm not in this to show a competing interpretation. I'm just pointing out that your position requires interpretation and someone who is just reading the words and doesn't believe in your interpretive schema will not see Jesus.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Atheist arguments aren't so much about textual analysis as they are rational and logical objections to factual claims and made by religion.