• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I hold my political views

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I'm just posting this as a reminder to myself so I can refer back to it during this political season, to help me from being lead astray from my core values.

I'm fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

I give more weight to socially liberal issues than fiscally conservative issues for one reason.

I believe that government taking away individual rights is much more dangerous than fiscal policies.

It is dangerous for the government to deny bodily autonomy.
It is dangerous for government to outlaw sound medical treatments proscribed by the leading medical experts.
It is dangerous for government to try to suppress the ability for citizens to vote.
It is dangerous for government to try to limit the ability for citizens to freely travel.
It is dangerous for government to allow discrimination against law-abiding citizens.
It is dangerous for government to allow citizens to become gatekeepers who can deny medical treatments, contraception, marriage licenses, etc, based upon the whim of the gatekeeper.

While I am all for fiscal responsibility and such, I'm not willing to trade these basic human rights for it.

I hope I always keep this in mind, and do not diminish the weight that these solemn rights carry, no matter how much people may chide me over being a "single issue voter" or being part of the "woke culture."

May I always stay awake to this.