• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I Believe in an Afterlife

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I'm not posting this to change anyone's mind or debate or to challenge my beliefs, but just wanting to share what I so far am estimating on my search for answers. My personal conclusions are reached personally, and I plan to keep them that way.

It's not a good argument to simply say that life is so strange and amazing that there just has to be something greater. So I'm going to say it differently, more detailed.

Thinking game. Would the universe exist if there is nothing conscious in it, absolutely nothing to perceive it? NO perception at all? Truly think about that.

And life. What exactly is this? A compilation of our physical senses at play? Maybe like quantum mechanics suggests as possible, consciousness observing energy creates material reality.

And what does death make life? If life is a temporary happening in which a part of the universe experiences itself on its level, simply a glimpse of somethingness coming from nothingness and then returning to nothingness, is it really somethingness? A few positive numbers in between two infinite binaries of 0's both before and after it.

I have for so long considered this as true, in fact I occasionally do still use that perception of death, and I've been mostly okay with it. I see it as peaceful, defining peace as the lack of conflict much like darkness is the lack of light, and cold the lack of heat. This isn't to say I don't fear death for other reasons.

But it makes no sense to me how there is a short, temporary awareness of these properties that exist around us. All of this experience, but what for? Just out of the blue? No real purpose behind it, just a side effect of the order of things? And this experience generates a series of questions about this experience, each relative to the experience. But they are inevitable. We watch this film once and then stop thinking about it once, and then there's no "for what", nothing happens after it.

After you watch a movie you probably think about it afterwards, you probably don't just watch it and then forget all about it and move on to something else, right? The same goes for life. I think of life therefore as a series of questions. During life, like during the movie, we are too thinking of it. But movies tend to have resolutions and answers within them, and if they don't they will have some sort of resolution by logic according to fellow viewers pondering the same questions. Life doesn't usually have this, death is sudden and most of the time unexpected. Unless at the last second all of these questions you ever had and never actually had answers, only suppositions, are answered, you just suddenly know everything before you go out and stop experiencing or even thinking in general, so it might as well be as if that last second of omnipresence didn't happen, that life didn't happen. It makes no difference, the experience is long gone and no longer processed by the experiencer.

Without an afterlife, you die with no answers resolved. And if you are to relate life to being a series of questions, then isn't life and death simply many questions unanswered.

I can't prove that life isn't just a natural process, in fact I think it is. I doubt there is any real purpose behind it, other than divine purpose which is pretty much just the way it effects the rest of existence by its existence, which I personally believe is a conscious purpose, but not exactly in the same way as a human-consciousness idea of 'purpose'.

It's just simply not likely to me that there's just a one, quick experience in a vat of un-experienced. Never to be expected before experience, and never to be remembered after experience. To the experiencer, post-experience, the experience is absolutely meaningless. This shouldn't matter, I admit that life doesn't have to have meaning. But this is meaningless on a whole other level. Not only value meaning, but existential meaning. Whether or not the experience happened, to the experiencer, post-experience, there is simply no relevance, no difference. It's indistinguishable because it simply returns to zero.

At least to me, this doesn't feel right. But I'm not saying that it's automatically wrong. Like I said, I still do apply this view sometimes, I still think it's rational in its own way. One example: The question can be reversed; if there is continued experience for the experiencer after death, then what is the point of physical experience? So basically in contrast to "If there's no life after death, what is the point of life?" it is "If there's life after death, what is the point of death?" Which in this case I usually extend the question to "What is death?" I think that both positions are rational: death is the end, and death is transition. But the latter seems more.... sensible. At least from an existential point of view. The former makes more sense from an ontological point of view, an end of an illusory individual person.

So what is experience like post physical death? I'd say it's best described as abstract. Because I believe in a universal soul that we all literally are, as well as all existence as one entity, aside from the illusion of separation, I think it's safe and perhaps this view makes a person really more comfortable with death, to consider death as disillusionment, a return to oneness.

I don't believe it is like a place, and I wouldn't say it is exactly a state of being, but instead it is being itself. The concept-self is removed from the world physically but remains abstractly. The consciousness and thoughts no longer exist, but there is a small splinter of self remaining, the true, deepest self. Which, to me, is synonymous with pure purity, or the universal consciousness I like to call Qi. So the experience post-life would be pureness in the best way of describing it.

Hope this makes sense.

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
Sum of Awe:

Your punctuation is nearly god damn atrocious; If English is not your first language, I understand.

zZ9LZrs.jpg

Death is life to me and life is fleeting to us of Mankind. Just a fact of nature, and the Gods may choose me
based on their own merits. I live in a ******* real world; others think I live in the fantasy world.

It's not something I can explain and won't bother to; until I come to a conclusion in which I could
please people. I am not fleeting into a fantasy and it hurts me to see people do it; my own kin
included.

Even with this cruel realization I know there is "God", and, I accept them. Nature is ruthless and
my sense of their choosing is based on accomplishment and demerits; not purely soul
goodness.

It's not an escape and I accept the atheistic view of none existence after death, yet I believe
in the kingdom of God.. It's not a matter of sympathy or coping in life; to me it's mostly
an escape for people.

I can't rid myself of a super natural; I feel I've lived before and still have cold views.

Then in brings "Gods" controls of the human soul. That is not something I have any
idea about and couldn't explain; other than "God" seeks out and destroys souls he doesn't
like. It would make it sound like I'm basically hanging onto the idea of a "Soul" and
can't explain it; although I can't and know I have one.

It's just god damn ruthless for all I can tell; battle for the sake of battle.

God wanted warriors. God wanted to reform society; God wanted to reform
society through warriors, God wants warriors.

No excuse for cowardice no matter what your reasons are.

What God wants is totally outside creating a rigid dogma and all; based
on the principles God has waning desires and is an individualist being.

Modern views are simply appeasing anyone in the notions of an "afterlife".

It's nearly impossible to close the view on it; those were good people that were murdered..

The notion of an afterlife may be to merely sate your fret. Even though I belive
I have lived prior to this life I know God nor Angel is going to swoop out of the
air to save me from rape or rending. Even though I have experienced the phenomenon
of divine intervention; Omnipotence is what has truly come into question.

The ideal of omnipotence and divine intervention is something I see as
unreasonable, and, in spiritual teaching forbidden. It creates that
age old psalms; which may be excellent poetry, but, contradictory to the
idea of an omnipotent diety watching over you; which it words beautifully.

To me it's all just ruthless with no sense of cowardice and a strong sense of battle; which coos finely with my idea of God.

1iHo4Gj.jpg

xphcQuL.jpg

People scape into their fantasies where this isn't cruel..

Now instead of a political choice of using God, in the US, it's just a political choice with people arguing that courageous warriors are
tools of their Government; instead of God willing the battle.

That's just one thing numerous parties warrior or otherwise would argue with. Being a warrior to me is fighting and sacrificing your
very well being into a cause that is right to your people; not only for the sake of battle. Numerous battles come into play; particularly
ancient battles involved the spread of monotheism. That's one example of a conundrum in which both parties aren't right or wrong
in the bloodshed; like most parties in battle... It might make you question what type of God we have.

Then they go off on how God didn't condone this or that; yet is omnipotent.

It's all in question; your memories, your soul... None of which have yet to be explained in the physical brain.

Memories and imagination are nearly different.

Ego-Mania is what most of us seem to have. It's just an escape for most people.

egomania

[ ˌēgōˈmānēə ]

noun

noun: egomania · noun: ego-mania

1. obsessive egotism or self-centeredness.

And in that I learned it is futile to try and explain.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It is a popular opinion, but for whatever reason it makes no sense whatsoever to me. I don't think I even understand it very well. I couldn't even begin to attempt to share it if I wanted to (which I most certainly do not).

I am only sure that it is popular because I recognize the general structure and wording. But it is so very alien to anything I know, crave or hope for!

The Sum of Awe

Sum of Awe:

Your punctuation is nearly god damn atrocious; If English is not your first language, I understand.

I occasionally look back to my other posts and notice that the spelling and words are filled with mistakes, never really noticed anything in my punctuation. I know that I often accidentally type different words than I am meaning to that are spelled similar. For example; once and ones. word and world. and and in. etc.

Did you mean that or actually the punctuation? I am interested in seeing some mistakes perhaps I'm unaware of a rule of grammar I'd like to know. I appreciate you telling me this.

I don't really feel like re-reading that entire post. It's very long, I don't know how you guys can do this :D

Also, English is my first language.

Death is life to me and life is fleeting to us of Mankind. Just a fact of nature, and the Gods may choose me
based on their own merits. I live in a ******* real world; others think I live in the fantasy world.

What exactly do you mean when you say that ""death is life and life is fleeting us of mankind"?

It's not an escape and I accept the atheistic view of none existence after death, yet I believe
in the kingdom of God.. It's not a matter of sympathy or coping in life; to me it's mostly
an escape for people.

That is not the atheistic view. Some atheists do believe in the afterlife, and some non-atheists hold this view. How, then, is it the atheistic view?

I can't rid myself of a super natural; I feel I've lived before and still have cold views.

Then in brings "Gods" controls of the human soul. That is not something I have any
idea about and couldn't explain; other than "God" seeks out and destroys souls he doesn't
like. It would make it sound like I'm basically hanging onto the idea of a "Soul" and
can't explain it; although I can't and know I have one.

So soul is sort of like a place value but it still remains unknown what to plug into the variable? I think, to be honest, even though people have an idea for a model of the soul, it's probable that nobody admits to knowing for sure what it is.
The ideal of omnipotence and divine intervention is something I see as
unreasonable, and, in spiritual teaching forbidden. It creates that
age old psalms; which may be excellent poetry, but, contradictory to the
idea of an omnipotent diety watching over you; which it words beautifully.

To me it's all just ruthless with no sense of cowardice and a strong sense of battle; which coos finely with my idea of God.

1iHo4Gj.jpg

xphcQuL.jpg

People scape into their fantasies where this isn't cruel..

Now instead of a political choice of using God, in the US, it's just a political choice with people arguing that courageous warriors are
tools of their Government; instead of God willing the battle.

That's just one thing numerous parties warrior or otherwise would argue with. Being a warrior to me is fighting and sacrificing your
very well being into a cause that is right to your people; not only for the sake of battle. Numerous battles come into play; particularly
ancient battles involved the spread of monotheism. That's one example of a conundrum in which both parties aren't right or wrong
in the bloodshed; like most parties in battle... It might make you question what type of God we have.

Then they go off on how God didn't condone this or that; yet is omnipotent.

It's all in question; your memories, your soul... None of which have yet to be explained in the physical brain.

There are many explanations, it's just that nobody is sure yet, there isn't enough testing done on the field.

Memories and imagination are nearly different.

Ego-Mania is what most of us seem to have. It's just an escape for most people.

egomania

[ ˌēgōˈmānēə ]

noun

noun: egomania · noun: ego-mania

1. obsessive egotism or self-centeredness.

And in that I learned it is futile to try and explain.

Are memories and imagination different? I'm of the opinion that imagination relies on memories; you would have to remember a dog in order to imagine a dog. You have to remember a shape to imagine a shape. If you have never had an experience with something, there's no way you can imagine it. The illusion of imagining fictional things comes from multiple, separate memories being pasted together. One can imagine a unicorn because they remember a horn and a horse for example. Nobody can imagine something 100% unique.

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
Don't worry about it, Man. I can't explain it so I'm not going to keep trying.

Good luck finding some closure.

The Sum of Awe

Another thing crosses my mind that I don't yet know how to perfectly phrase. Then again I run into that trouble a lot.

I [/i]can't not[/I] (double negative) be existing, that's a contradiction.

To try to make it make a little more sense, I originally thought of it relating to mid-life. I wasn't contemplating the afterlife, but instead on the question of why I exist instead of not exist.

I imagined a man being born a slave and knowingly will die as a slave. He is tortured on a daily basis and sometimes just for fun of his masters. In his rough life, why would he not consider suicide? Perhaps he contemplates the thought and I imagine something like this: "If this is a one-time chance to be, then no matter how unbearable it might be, does that make life worth it?" and then "Perhaps unconsciousness is better... But why did I start to exist in the first place? Why was it my soul merging to this flesh? Why wasn't I unborn?" But then he reasons, "I can't be unborn. I cannot not-exist, there is not a thing that is not existent." (Contradiction; one cannot is (be) not existent (not be) )

The same can be applied to death. You never stop being.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
But it makes no sense to me how there is a short, temporary awareness of these properties that exist around us. All of this experience, but what for? Just out of the blue? No real purpose behind it, just a side effect of the order of things? And this experience generates a series of questions about this experience, each relative to the experience. But they are inevitable. We watch this film once and then stop thinking about it once, and then there's no "for what", nothing happens after it.
The universe does not care if it makes sense to you or not.
Hope this makes sense.
It doesn't.

idav

Being
Premium Member
To summarize quite simply why I think there is an afterlife is because, death is not really and end and everything is connected as one due to how the universe came about to begin with. I have yet to find the limits and boundaries, this is quite the remarkable universe.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I can see where your coming from but I go about it oppositely. Life isn't what is fleeting it is death. The thing keeping death at bay is how we work as multicellular team working to reproduce the cells. Cells reproduce in death to stay alive as a multicellular organism. This life will always strive to survive and beat death by having the cells live on and through procreation having the entire species of that lineage live on buying us more and more time in life. To the point that life survives death, beats death for billions and billions of years. That is hardly death.

The Sum of Awe

The universe does not care if it makes sense to you or not.

It doesn't.

Oh I am very aware of the difference between reality as it is an reality as it seems to be. This has nothing to do with it making sense to me or you or anything consciousness in existence really.

This has to do with existence objectively being unreasonable.

The Sum of Awe

Please explain, I find existence eminently reasonable and I wonder why you would not.

From nothingness, the universe exists. In nothingness there is literally nothing, including no potential energy for 'something' to happen. It matters not if you believe in God, the universe is eternal, or anything else. If you ask "why" to a certain point, there must be a point where there is no actual reason. There must be a point where a reason comes from something reasonless by the simple fact that something cannot come from itself.

miriam40012

FiathfulMiriam01
I can't prove that life isn't just a natural process, in fact I think it is. I doubt there is any real purpose behind it, other than divine purpose which is pretty much just the way it effects the rest of existence by its existence, which I personally believe is a conscious purpose, but not exactly in the same way as a human-consciousness idea of 'purpose'.

That's a nice concept you discovered and I'd like to correlate what I've learned from the experts in what they talked about in "The Holographic Universe" documentary, because it seems (according to how I understood it - forgive me, I had huge trouble understanding Quantum Physics as I'm just a nurse by profession) that there is an underlying living consciousness that affects our physical universe. So, yes, I think you're right about this divine purpose that you speak of. I think those scientists just discovered the essence of God or just a part of him. I was like, WOW!