• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Has God Let Satan Continue To Operate?

Xax

Why should god want to defeat something it is supposed to have created, if it created everything?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Please note that I'm not about to quibble over the names/terms "Satan," "Devil," and "Lucifer." Call him whatever you like, but for convenience I'm calling the character depicted here: "Satan."

From one online Christian site:

"God created Satan as Lucifer, the highest ranking angel of all. Lucifer, however, wasn’t content to worship and serve his Creator. Full of pride, he rebelled, leading a third of the angels. Unable to match the Almighty God, Lucifer was cast to the earth where he has operated as the devil ever since.

God did not create Lucifer as evil but allowed the potential for sin. While God cannot commit sin, He doesn’t take it away from those who do. When Lucifer chose to rebel, he instantly became the author of sin. Evil is the result of a free-will choice by Lucifer.
source
Whether Satan was the author of sin or not, why hasn't god done away with the guy? Personally, I would think an omnibenevolent, all-loving god would have permanently gotten rid of him long ago. Or is it that he's doing god's bidding?

What's going on? Why isn't Satan rotting away in god's cemetery?

Or maybe "Why does man still let Satan rule?"

74x12

And god needs an evil genius adversary because ___________________________________________________ .

Basically to be the prosecuting attorney; the one who opposes God's ways and makes arguments against it. So God can prove for all to see what is right. God already knows the truth but He wants everyone to know. The angels are observing. Even humans want answers.

That's why faith is logical because if Satan is real then you have to find a way to defeat a superior enemy. Someone much smarter than you are. So how? By trusting and relying on someone even more intelligent than satan is. Which is God. Relying on oneself is folly and so is relying on any people such as scientists etc when it comes to the spiritual truth. Only the most high God is the answer in a world that is ruled by Satan.

Kenny

Premium Member
Is there something man can do to stop him? If so, what?

Basically do what Adam didn't, you cast them out:

Luke 10:17 And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.
18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.
19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.
20 Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.

Mark 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils;

The problem is that when man submits to Satan, man hands over authority to Satan. It is how Satan got authority on earth in the first place.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Basically do what Adam didn't, you cast them out:

Luke 10:17 And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.
18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.
19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.
20 Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.

Mark 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils;

The problem is that when man submits to Satan, man hands over authority to Satan. It is how Satan got authority on earth in the first place.
Let me ask you this, Has anyone ever cast Satan out to the extent that they no longer commit sin or any other bad acts? And if so, who be these people?

Last edited:

MonkeyFire

Lucifer is already defeated. Lucifer is allowed his 'kingdom'.

In my religion Lucifer must return to Heaven and restore perfection. Aswell, Lucifer is a fallen angel and can repent, where as satan is the devil and is totally hopeless. They are two separate things entirely.

Kenny

Premium Member
Let me ask you this, Has anyone ever cast Satan out to the extent that they no longer commit sin or any other bad acts? And who be these people?

Those are two different issues. As a free will spiritual agent, you can be free from a devil/demon and still decide to commit sin. Committing sin isn't always "the devil made me do it".

However, those who are freed from the devil no longer are under his demonic control. Of course you know the story of the man of Gadarene.

In a more current case, my friend Ted Travers, but you will just have to take my word on it.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Those are two different issues. As a free will spiritual agent, you can be free from a devil/demon and still decide to commit sin. Committing sin isn't always "the devil made me do it".

However, those who are freed from the devil no longer are under his demonic control. Of course you know the story of the man of Gadarene.

In a more current case, my friend Ted Travers, but you will just have to take my word on it.
So, the devil makes you commit some sins, but not all of them. Is there any difference in these sins?

Kenny

Premium Member
So, the devil makes you commit some sins, but not all of them. Is there any difference in these sins?

You are funny... but I'll go along:

Acts 16:
16 And it came to pass, as we went to prayer, a certain damsel possessed with a spirit of divination met us, which brought her masters much gain by soothsaying:
17 The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation.
18 And this did she many days. But Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour.

So, here familiar spirits were using a certain damsel, a sin but then couldn't.

Now, if she lied after and pretended she still did.. do you think there is a difference?

PS. Notice that Paul took care of the spirit ergo, you are suppose to stop the Satan and his demons.

Bob the Unbeliever

Jesus said, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself."

I believe that is how it works.

Really. It sounds lovely in print-- but 100% impractical in reality. Nobody is that OCD.

No wonder Christianity is terrible at inspiring people to act in a moral and ethical fashion.

I do find it quite sad, that the god you believe in, is so narcissistic, as to insist on Top Billing.

Bob the Unbeliever

Since we on earth have no analog of what an all-powerful, all-loving being being would be like, we have no grounds to assert how such a being would set things up. The only thing you can assert is how you would imagine such. Incredulity that God would have things as they are isn't an augment. .

This is patently false. The human brain is more than capable of imagining seemingly impossible things.

Have you never looked at a drawing or painting by MC Escher? He made many pieces of art that are quite impossible in reality, but the drawings work anyway. Such is the capacity of Human Imagination. Relativity by M.C. Escher

Thus? Not only can humans imagine the god you describe? We can also use logic and reason out the consequences if such a being exists in the first place!

Yes-- it is quite possible to use logic to obtain consequences of purely hypothetical and imaginary conditions.

Thus your excuse--complaint that your god is all "mysterious" is a false one. If that were true? None -- repeat-- none of your claims would have any validity in the first place!

Skwim

Veteran Member
You are funny... but I'll go along:
Actually, I'm quite serious. It's a question that came to mind several days ago after reading the various claims about Satan.

Acts 16:
16 And it came to pass, as we went to prayer, a certain damsel possessed with a spirit of divination met us, which brought her masters much gain by soothsaying:
17 The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation.
18 And this did she many days. But Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour.

So, here familiar spirits were using a certain damsel, a sin but then couldn't.

Now, if she lied after and pretended she still did.. do you think there is a difference?
Ah, Satan sends or allows demons to make us do bad things. And I take it all such bad things are definitely different then every-day sins.

PS. Notice that Paul took care of the spirit ergo, you are suppose to stop the Satan and his demons.
And the best way to go about this to do what?