• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Elohim if God is Absolutely One?

Ben Avraham

He fulfilled many of the prophecies in the Tanakh to establish a snare (Isaiah 8) before the nations, to catch out the ravenous animals (Isaiah 34) that would swear falsely, and steal what isn't theirs (Zechariah 5), whilst they get caught red handed (Revelation 16:6 - sorry could find a Tanakh reference, yet this one clarifies the best).

You are not quoting right. You must print the verse, not only the chapters.

Yeshua laid a line of righteousness across Israel; that is like a plumline to test who follows the Law, and who doesn't bother understanding it, as they think it isn't theirs.

Yeshua simply said to listen to "Moses" aka the Law. (Luke 16:29-31) That's how you should quote.

Will investigate Habakkuk 3, and get back to you on it...Habakkuk 2 is about Yeshua, and Christianity being the city built upon bloodshed (Rome).

It doesn't mention his name. It means, you are assuming based on your Christian preconceived notions.

Yet the verse you mention doesn't specify Israel is the Messiah... Will have to get back to you on this verse, as it says Selah at the end, which means go sit reflect, and study, to find what it is referring to.

Messiah by definition is the Anointed One of the Lord. God's People is the Anointed One of the Lord aka Israel the Son of God. (Exodus 4:22,23)

Yeshua did as the Tanakh stated; the fact you're trying to make him into the Messiah says more about your level of understanding.

I have never tried to make of Yeshua the Messiah. Yeshua could not be the Messiah because the individual cannot be the Messiah. The individual is born, lives his span of life and dies. Are we supposed to expect a different Messiah in every generation? Obviously not! The Messiah is not supposed to die but to remain as a People before the Lord forever. (Jeremiah 31:35-37)

omega2xx

Elohist - Wikipedia
Ancient for "the gods", probably of proto-monotheistic (what Christians would call "pagan") origin. Judaism itself is strictly monotheistic and the revelation that God is one, is one of the great revelations of Judaism so to try and promote concepts of plurality of "gods" to followers of Judaism (based on a pagan concept carried in ancient linguistics) in their Scriptures is nonsensical. Also using non-monotheistic language to support the Trinity, based on the definition of "Elohim"would only go to show that the Trinity refers to multiple gods, not multiple persons as one God. What Tumah has been trying to tell you, is that in Judaism, they know who they refer to as God (John 4:22) regardless of what ancient language connotations there may be and he uses the grammatical context to emphasize this (something Christians do all the time). It's not about "words", it's all about knowing what the meaning is to the religious community who holds those books as their Sacred Scripture. If you read Genesis literally, then perhaps you believe that the earth is 6,000 years old? Jesus said to cut your hand off, if it causes you to sin, do you read that literally also? If, as you say, you are using the "definition" of Elohim in reference to the Trinity then you are saying that terminology of "multiple gods" relates to the Trinity? But then you say "Ahhh, but we interpret it in the Christian sense of one God in three persons". So this means that you aren't really using the definition of Elohim anyway.

The explain why God used a singular noun with a plural ending. I will ask you the same question---who is the "us" and "our" in Genesis 1:26.

Perhaps it's fitting that this ancient term, originally used by "pagans" (Ancient Canaanite religion - Wikipedia), is now used to support the Trinity doctrine - given my hypothesis that Christianity has been influenced by and/or adapted to Greco-Roman pagan religion (Jupiter, Hercules, Divi Filius, Capitoline Triad). I suggest see my posts on this.

Stick to the right word, Elohim, not elohist. It was not first used by pagans. Elohim is the first word for God in God's word. Your post will not change the word and it will not answer the question I ask.

omega2xx

One of two things happened here; either you did not understand the thread if you read it or you are chronically enslaved by Christian preconceived notions because, I don't remember to have said that Elohim is not God.

Neither one of your suggestions are true. I may have misread somethng you said, that I thought you said or implied Elohim is not God.

omega2xx

You are not qualified to make that claim. You have no experience in Hebrew language. I'm not even sure you've understood anything I've told you since you have no knowledge of Hebrew upon which to contextualize my argument.

I understand you perfectly. That is why I reject what you say. This is not about my understanding of Hebrew. It is about one word and I understand it better than you do.

I did. Why don't you go back and read it. And then come back and give your explanation of 27.

Why don't you answer the question I ask?

Ok. Let's hear the proof to substantiate your claim then.

Quit beating around the bush. Answer my question or admit you can't.

Nope. Its always connected to something negative, a curse.
See Num. 5:21
And the priest shall make the woman swear with an oath of alah and the priest will say to the woman, 'G-d should give you as an alah and an oath within your nation, when G-d will give your thigh to fall and your womb to swell.​
And Jer. 44:12
And I will take the remainder of Judah that turned their faces to come to the land of Egypt to dwell there. And all [of them] will be consumed in the land of Egypt, they will fall to the sword, they will be consumed by famine. From small to big, by sword and by famine they will die. And they shall be for an alah, for astonishment, for curse and for reproach.
And Hosea 4:2
Aloh and lying, and murdering and stealing and adultery; they broke forth and blood touches blood.

No problem. Until then, you can respond to my other argument.

Again?

I have already done so. That's why you are relying on this last appeal to authority - because you can't actually disprove my refutations.

And how do you know that your experts are more expert in the language than my experts?

I didn't say your experts, I sad YOU.

Coder

The explain why God used a singular noun with a plural ending. I will ask you the same question---who is the "us" and "our" in Genesis 1:26.
Hi, as I already said, the "us" is the "multiple gods" from pre-monotheistic beliefs which the Jews corrected at least theologically with the doctrine of belief in one God. I think that perhaps pagan "leftovers" may also be perpetuated in Christianity due to adaptations under a domineering Greco-Roman pagan Roman Empire, even though originally corrected in Judaism. St. Paul talked about the "foolish Galatians" going backward, well, the Trinity doctrine? I believe that God is One Personal Being and humans can relate to Him as one Personal Being, I don't see how the Trinity doctrine shows belief that a person can have a Personal relationship with God except with one or more of the Persons. Do you pray to three Persons at the same time? If you pray to God as one Personal Being, then apparently you preach the Trinity but don't actually practice it?

The Jewish «Roots» of the Holy Spirit - Lea Sestieri
... in Jewish scripture the Holy Spirit is never presented as a person...the fact remains that Christian pneumatological terminology is rooted in that of the Jewish religion...

Last edited:

rosends

Here, as to "na'aseh" the plural "our" in Gen 1:26, as answered over a thousand years ago (nihil sub sole novum):

Let us make man: From here we learn the humility of the Holy One, blessed be He. Since man was created in the likeness of the angels, and they would envy him, He consulted them. And when He judges kings, He consults with His Heavenly household, for so we find regarding Ahab, that Micah said to him, (I Kings 22:19): “I saw the Lord seated on His throne, and all the host of heaven were standing by Him, on His right and on His left.”

Let us make man: Even though they [the angels] did not assist Him in His creation, and there is an opportunity for the heretics to rebel (to misconstrue the plural as a basis for their heresies), Scripture did not hesitate to teach proper conduct and the trait of humility, that a great person should consult with and receive permission from a smaller one. Had it been written: “I shall make man,” we would not have learned that He was speaking with His tribunal, but to Himself. And the refutation to the heretics is written alongside it [i. e., in the following verse:]“And God created (וַיִּבְרָא) ,” and it does not say,“and they created וַיִּבְרְאוּ.” - [from Gen. Rabbah 8:9]

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Hi, as I already said, the "us" is the "multiple gods" from pre-monotheistic beliefs which the Jews corrected at least theologically with the doctrine of belief in one God. I think that perhaps pagan "leftovers" may also be perpetuated in Christianity due to adaptations under a domineering Greco-Roman pagan Roman Empire, even though originally corrected in Judaism. St. Paul talked about the "foolish Galatians" going backward, well, the Trinity doctrine? I believe that God is One Personal Being and humans can relate to Him as one Personal Being, I don't see how the Trinity doctrine shows belief that a person can have a Personal relationship with God except with one or more of the Persons. Do you pray to three Persons at the same time? If you pray to God as one Personal Being, then apparently you preach the Trinity but don't actually practice it?

... in Jewish scripture the Holy Spirit is never presented as a person...the fact remains that Christian pneumatological terminology is rooted in that of the Jewish religion...

everything has a mind, a body, and a spirit. these three make up the ONE, or complex. When praying to the ONE it has 3 main aspects. It is all knowing. It is all present. It is all loving.

Numbers 27:18

So the LORD said to Moses, “Take Joshua the son of Nun, a man in whom is the Spirit, and lay your hand on him.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I haven't labelled anyone, and wouldn't say any of them slanderous remarks; the Biblical text states what we've been talking about, and find your accusations rude. :(

Again I'm not even sure, where you're making up all this idea from? Unless you don't understand was quoting Zechariah 11, as the divorce decree? :confused:
I find it telling that this is the issue you focus on, and not my rebuttals to your other posts, such as where I show you were incorrect about the origin of Yahweh. But lets break this down. You say they (in context, that is Jews) killed their salvation (Jesus). You stated that Jews killed Christ. That is exactly where the term Christ killer comes from.

The problem is that one, it is an over generalization, as the followers of Jesus were Jews. And most Jews didn't care about Jesus, he was just one more so called Messiah. Second, it was the Romans who killed Jesus, not Jews. So to claim that Jews killed Christ (where the term Christ killer comes from), is the same exact statements that helped lead to the persecution of Jewish people.

The Messiah isn't to save anyone; the Messiah is to reign as king, and instruct in the Law.
That's a limited view of the Messiah. During the first century, there were many different views as to what the Messiah was supposed to be. However, the one key similarity was that they were supposed to bring in the Kingdom of G-d, or heaven, which would replace the current Kingdom of Earth.

In many ways, it was seen as a manner in which people would be saved, as in, the current system of subjugation would be cast off, and the Jewish people would be free.
He fulfilled many of the prophecies in the Tanakh to establish a snare (Isaiah 8) before the nations, to catch out the ravenous animals (Isaiah 34) that would swear falsely, and steal what isn't theirs (Zechariah 5), whilst they get caught red handed (Revelation 16:6 - sorry could find a Tanakh reference, yet this one clarifies the best).
Those weren't prophecies for the Messiah, or even a future time though, at least not a very future time. This was only attributed to Jesus much after the fact, as people began searching through the Bible in order to justify their position that Jesus was the Messiah.
Yeshua laid a line of righteousness across Israel; that is like a plumline to test who follows the Law, and who doesn't bother understanding it, as they think it isn't theirs.
Except Yeshua was pretty limited in his ministry. Primary Galilee, and then a bit in Jerusalem. He spoke very seldom of the Law, but stated that not one iota of the law would change. Really, his message was that of a Pharisee.

Of course you could; I'd show where the prophecies interlink across time, proving God has helped influence the Biblical prophets, with over a 90% probability.
But you haven't. What you've done is look at an ancient book, and looked at events that happened afterwards, and tried to smash them together because they fit your ideology. You've really changed what the Biblical prophets have said in order to fit your beliefs.
Understandable, as Christians really don't understand their Biblical texts, as they're the ones set up by it... So clearly they've not got much to offer.
I would say that you probably don't understand the Biblical texts as much as many Christians don't. What you've done is taken verses out of context, and then molded them to fit your faith, while ignoring their original meanings.
This is the first brain stimulating point, thank you; yes we can accept that the ultimate creator God (EL) manifests all reality, and therefore we can not pluralize this.
But I've already shown that your understanding of El, and how he relates to Yahweh, is incorrect. They weren't the same entity. Also, it must be remembered that the term el also is a generic term for god.

Coder

Quit beating around the bush. Answer my question or admit you can't.
Hi, you have asked who the us is.

https://outreachjudaism.org/elohim-plural/
"With these passages in mind, we have a deeper understanding of the name Elohim. The pagan mind ascribed a separate and distinct god for each of the powers in the world which it observed, "

That's the "us". That's who the "us" and "our" is. The "us" and "our" is pre-monotheistic gods. There's your answer. It's pre-monotheistic gods.

This ancient word is used in Genesis but Jewish doctrine uses this same word with monotheistic meaning. The ancient meaning no longer applies in Judaism. Same word, with one meaning prior to Judaism and another meaning in Judaism.

The truth shall set you free.

https://outreachjudaism.org/elohim-plural/

"...the Jewish people never believed in a Trinity, and the Church adopted it under enormous political pressure from the most pagan segments..."

"...in Jewish scripture the Holy Spirit is never presented as a person...the fact remains that Christian pneumatological terminology is rooted in that of the Jewish religion."

Last edited:

Coder

everything has a mind, a body, and a spirit. these three make up the ONE, or complex.
...Or maybe you just believe what you've been told, originally due to dominant Roman Emperors. ;)

There's lots of that in religions you know, going with flow, believing what you're told, even when people deep down believe something may be nonsense.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
...Or maybe you just believe what you've been told, originally due to dominant Roman Emperors. ;)

There's lots of that in religions you know, going with flow, believing what you're told, even when people deep down believe something may be nonsense.
no, my understanding comes from a couple of sources.

none of them being roman; in fact they predate the roman by 1000s of yrs and influenced roman and greek thinking.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
You are not quoting right. You must print the verse, not only the chapters.
The things we relate deal with whole chapters in context, not taking odd lines out of context.... This is what "strain a gnat, gain a camel" means.
Yeshua simply said to listen to "Moses" aka the Law.
The line says 'prophets' and Moses, and we've been quoting from multiple prophets to establish Yeshua's credentials...

Yet sadly as the line implies, speaking about the Jews in the first place; you don't listen to them, else you'd realize how Yeshua fulfilled the Law, with him and Moses in agreement (Transfiguration).

If someone was paying attention to the Law, and Prophets, they'd see how Christianity is the Great Deception, explained in detail by the Prophets, including Yeshua...

Yet sadly people don't listen, they're too busy competing from their own ego, to properly pay attention. :oops:
It doesn't mention his name. It means, you are assuming based on your Christian preconceived notions.
First off, can you stop that; I'm not a Christian!

I don't accept John, Paul and Simon the stone (petros), which is where Christianity came from, first established in Antioch.

Habakkuk 2 doesn't need his name, the qualifying matches are validation....

First off, woe to the proud man who drinks, and collects many pledges that are not his own; clearly in the name of jesus, they collect pledges....

Then a city is built on blood shed where they worship him as a wooden idol, i.e Roman catholic church....

The just shall live by his faith, i.e. Christianity.
Messiah by definition is the Anointed One of the Lord. God's People is the Anointed One of the Lord aka Israel the Son of God.
You're repeating it dogmatically, like somehow it religiously has to be, regardless of the facts shown.

A messiah can be anyone anointed with holy anointing oil, prophets, monarchy; who then have the spirit of God within them...

Not everyone has this effect of finding God, which is why it became a proverb "is Saul among the prophets".

People haven't made the holy anointing oil properly for ages, most don't even recognize it should contain Kaneh-Bosem (Cannabis); as the THC causes it to become a
molecular compound.

Then there is a specific person who shall reign in the Messianic age; this is The Messiah.

Israel to me means 'those who shall reign with God', that is why the remnant of Israel are those who shall survive through the Tribulation. :innocent:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
The things we relate deal with whole chapters in context, not taking odd lines out of context.... This is what "strain a gnat, gain a camel" means.

:innocent:

jesus didn't even quote a whole verse yet you think it odd

Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

and will cut him in pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

wizanda

Premium Member
not my rebuttals to your other posts
To be honest you've got so many points incorrect, following the same illogical thinking as many scholars do; plus on being rude, had no reason to reply, and try to correct you, when you're convince you're making sense from all angles.
You stated that Jews killed Christ.
I've not used any words like that, seriously this is why I've asked where were you referring to....

Since i know anyways will explain (so we can deal with some form of facts); since you're clearly just going to continue being rude, inserting slanderous remarks into my mouth.

Zechariah 11, speaks against 3 foolish shepherds in charge of the flock for slaughter; these were Pharisee, Sadducee and Levites, these could have chosen to accept Yeshua as king, and prophecy would have been different, this is what i was referring to not the Jews. :oops:

The Biblical text specifies in the Parable of the Wicked Husbandmen, that the Pharisees decided to have him put to death from that point, the gospel of Nicodemus explains how they forced the arm of Pilate, you're own conclusion that the Romans being the executor, employed by the Sanhedrin, then makes them innocent of his blood, is ridiculous, as the text it self says, "his blood is upon us".

Instead of dismiss Yeshua from the Tanakh, it helps try to see if you understand it within all contexts. :innocent:

Coder

as the text it self says, "his blood is upon us".
Hmmmm, could that possibly be influenced by the Roman Empire trying to unite an empire under one religion after centuries of conflict with Jews who refused to worship Jupiter and the emperor as son of god (Divi Filius)? Perhaps a bit of Roman propaganda showing through?

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Hmmmm, could that possibly be an insertion by the Roman Empire trying to unite an Empire under one religion after centuries of conflict with Jews who refused to worship Jupiter and the emperor as son of god (Divi Filius)? Perhaps a bit of Roman bitterness and propaganda showing through? The sound of that Scripture shows the mentality of a 2 year-old. I respect Scripture, but sometimes maybe God in his Word is really just revealing to us how stupid and un-God-like we humans can be. :smile:

you can't profit what you can't control.. if you can't control the image, the brand, you can't reap the rewards from it. enslave the masses in ignorance and you've got power. there is a bug in the program, I AM that i am

nataraja is going to dance like isaiah until the spirit flows freely.

wizanda

Premium Member
could that possibly be an insertion by the Roman Empire
Yes it is possible, it is also possible the whole text could be made up; yet Zechariah 11:11 says the same thing, that the statement could've been made by the poor of the flock .i.e Ebionites, and other people who followed Yeshua's teachings. ;)

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Yes it is possible, it is also possible the whole text could be made up; yet Zechariah 11:11 says the same thing, that the statement could've been made by the poor of the flock .i.e Ebionites, and other people who followed Yeshua's teachings. ;)

the truth doesn't belong to a person. God is not a respecter of persons, not even of your idol.

Jesus was an instrument. God was the power operating through the instrument, the prophet.

Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.