• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does God let bad things/suffering happen?

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
Salaam friends,

I was wondering what the Islamic perspective is on why God allows mass suffering in the world and chooses not to intervene. If I can mention, this is a huge part of my unbelief, so I'd be most interested in your insight.

Thanks and peace

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Salaam friends,

I was wondering what the Islamic perspective is on why God allows mass suffering in the world and chooses not to intervene. If I can mention, this is a huge part of my unbelief, so I'd be most interested in your insight.

Thanks and peace

Peace be on you.
Question of suffering has many dimensions to look at.

God introduced Himself to human from the beginning.
Human were given choices.
Human were to do hard work to lift them up from raw state to higher moral and spiritual states.
Some chose easy earthly joys.
They try to control masses through tyrannical policies.
God sends His Messages and keep reminding but human continue to fall.

Now please see some specific examples. Two world wars were fought for selfish reasons of few big but suffering was universal.

Worst position of some third world countries due to wide spread corruption.

Current happening in Arab lands on the name of God. Fighters are visible but Suppliers are invisible.

These three incidences could have been averted if people and masses had acted promptly. Why people blindly follow obvious killers? Why people cannot differentiate between peace-makers and peace-shatters.

This is one aspect that people have not acted properly.

There are other angles too. When God send Warner who remind people to come back to God and they insist then chastisement come, as in past, it continue to come for Pharaoh. When people insist on evil in poor and rich societies and they make Prohibited acts as Fashion of life and insist on it, warning and chastisement come in various forms.

[Holy Quran ch 30 v 42] Corruption has appeared on land and sea because of what men’s hands have wrought, that He may make them taste the fruit of some of their doings, so that they may turn back from evil.

Then through another perspective, there are trials, which will be rewarded as people show patience.
[67:3] Who has created death and life that He might try you — which of you is best in deeds; and He is the Mighty, the Most Forgiving.

Leaving Unity of God practically (not paying rights of God and rights of people) leads to unrest too.

[6:82]‘And why should I fear that which you associate with God, when you fear not to associate with Allah that for which He has sent down to you no authority?’ Which, then, of the two parties has greater right to security, if indeed you know?

Ref: alislam.org/quran

Further on Question of suffering:
https://www.alislam.org/library/links/00000190.html
Link= The Question of Suffering

May God grant everyone happy and good life in all respects.

Last edited:

Sabour

Salaam friends,

Thanks and peace

Salam to you

Well first in a simple sense, the way in which Allah made things is that Allah made life going around with cause and effect for every action has it consequence. So many times what we may view as suffering is actually because of the person's on the nation's own actions for this is how the world goes.

Another reason can be explained by the famous saying " what goes around comes around". The Islamic version on that is you would get the same as you did.

Here are some verses that would show that in the Quraan

24:22 And let not those of virtue among you and wealth swear not to give [aid] to their relatives and the needy and the emigrants for the cause of Allah , and let them pardon and overlook. Would you not like that Allah should forgive you? And Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.

40:42 And the retribution for an evil act is an evil one like it, but whoever pardons and makes reconciliation - his reward is [due] from Allah . Indeed, He does not like wrongdoers.

64:14 O you who have believed, indeed, among your wives and your children are enemies to you, so beware of them. But if you pardon and overlook and forgive - then indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.

2:40 O Children of Israel, remember My favor which I have bestowed upon you and fulfill My covenant [upon you] that I will fulfill your covenant [from Me], and be afraid of [only] Me.

47:7 O you who have believed, if you support Allah , He will support you and plant firmly your feet.

2- Another reason for the suffering is that it would be a test for people and the believers

29:2 [29:2] Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe," without being put to the test?

[29:3] We have tested those before them, for God must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

also:

[2:155] We will surely test you through some fear, hunger, and loss of money, lives, and crops. Give good news to the steadfast.

3- Another reason is that Allah is reminding people to turn back into Him. Although some people do the opposite, but some people turn back to Allah only in certain conditions

[14:34] If you count God's blessings, you can never encompass them. Indeed, the human being is transgressing, unappreciative.
[41:51] When we bless the human being, he turns away, and drifts farther and farther away, and when he suffers any affliction, he implores loudly.

[10:23] But as soon as He saves them, they transgress on earth, and oppose the truth. O people, your transgression is only to the detriment of your own souls. You remain preoccupied with this worldly life, then to us is your ultimate return, then we inform you of everything you had done.

4- Better ranking in heaven because of patience. Patience is one of the keys of the heaven and it is highly rewarded in Islam.

2:45 Nay, seek (Allah's) help with patient perseverance and prayer: It is indeed hard, except to those who bring a lowly spirit,-

2:155 And We will surely test you with something of fear and hunger and a loss of wealth and lives and fruits, but give good tidings to the patient,

3:200 O you who believe! Endure and be more patient (than your enemy), and guard your territory by stationing army units permanently at the places from where the enemy can attack you, and fear Allah, so that you may be successful.

If you look into Islam, you will notice that prophets were actually people who suffered the most in this life and they are the ones who have the highest rewards in the second life.

5- Also, sometimes people get punished in this life rather than getting punished on the judgement day for that punishment would be better. If you ask many muslims would they like to be punished now or on the day of Judgement they would say we would prefer to be punished in this life.

Finally we have to know that according to Islam this life is only a test for us and that every single deed and action we would be held accountable for.

6:32 And the worldly life is not but amusement and diversion; but the home of the Hereafter is best for those who fear Allah , so will yo

8:46 Wealth and children are [but] adornment of the worldly life. But the enduring good deeds are better to your Lord for reward and better for [one's] hope.

Also we should know that Allah will not do injustice to anyone.

99:6-9
6 That Day, the people will depart separated [into categories] to be shown [the result of] their deeds.

7 So whoever does an atom's weight of good will see it,

8 And whoever does an atom's weight of evil will see it.

I would like to suggest a video if you would like to watch on that regard. It would be more informative about the Islamic teaching.

If you are into youtube videos, I would suggest watching for Yusuf Estes, Joshua Evans, Dr Zakir Naik and hamza tzortzis

I hope that I answered the question

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Welcome again.

This is the most common questions asked by people of all religions, and it even drove them either into religions or out.

You will find many answers if you googled it or searched in youtube and here i'll just give you my personal answer.

To me as a Muslim, i believe that God told us--through the Quran and teaching of his prophet Mohamed--that he created this world and has embedded laws which govern it. God is in control of this world but at the same time it's an indirect control. It's like when you write a computer script and let it run on it's own. You did make this script, but if something goes wrong, you have the choice as a programmer to either leave it as it is or intervene to correct things.

So, Allah allowed both Muslims and non-Muslims alike to be governed by these laws. We all get sick, terrible things happen to us, and we die. We all go through struggles in life. We all have our ups and downs.

There are many reasons why he allow it to happen, and we only know very little about it. He want to test us, he want to see how we show compassion to each other and help each other. That's why we have humanitarian aids, relief foundations, charities, etc. The same as if we are in school, the teacher knows us, and he might be aware that some students will fail and some will succeed, and it's up to them what to do. They can practice and study to pass the exam, and they can do nothing and fail. The teacher can see the grades and all what he can do is explain all over and over and advice to read text books. Well, this is just something which came to my mind as an analogy but of course it's not a perfect analogy but i'm just trying my best to tell you how i feel about this matter.

One might ask, what if there is a great man but he is a non-Muslim. It depends on why he did good deeds. If he did it for money, he will get money, if he did it for humanity, he will be remembered forever, and if he did it as a believer in God, then he might succeed in the afterlife and even in the other categories like money and people recognition.

Why some good people suffer? well, that just life. It has been created in this way, and while the system was designed by God in a perfect way, but to us, our life might not be perfect based on our experience in it. Also, don't forget that it's not only about this life, but about the other life in the hereafter as well. One might suffer in this life but be happy in the hereafter, the same as when a student suffer during college then succeed in earning a degree then get a decent job, family, etc.

Well, i know these are just simple silly analogies but i'm just trying my best to get my thoughts across.

I hope that helped to answer your question even partially.

Peace.

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
I appreciate the answers friends, and I'd like to ask for further clarification. I thank you for your answers already given. What should a person think if they pray and ask for God's help and he doesn't answer, even if they're in dire straights? Is it because they're being tested, or is there more to it?

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I appreciate the answers friends, and I'd like to ask for further clarification. I thank you for your answers already given. What should a person think if they pray and ask for God's help and he doesn't answer, even if they're in dire straights? Is it because they're being tested, or is there more to it?

Well, in Islam we believe that all of our prayers are answered, but God chooses to give you what you want either in this life or the hereafter.

For example, for some people, Allah answering them right away is good for thier spiritual journey, and for others, holding it off might push them to search more and learn more.

It's like children, we might be rich as their parents, but we can't give them so much money at the beginning, in order to teach them the value of money and the value of work. If we gave them everything from the beginning without limits so that can be harmful to them.

Also, it's like getting paid without working, or getting a degree without struggling toward achieving it.

In this life, just because one believed in God, that wouldn't be the answer to everything. One won't see rainbows and won't see angels all of the sudden just for believing. It's just the beginning to the path of knowing ourselves in order to know God.

What is it about? That's what we need to figure out through our journey in this life. People can tell you many things, but at the end it all comes to each person's unique path and goal in life. And Allah knows best.

Peace.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Greetings!
>
You sure picked a doozy of a question! I wouldn't mind a dollar for every time a human being has felt moved to ask this question. If there were a simple & convincing answer, I guess the question wouldn't need to be raised so often.
>
I did a quick Google and found this page -
>
WHY WOULD GOD PLACE SADNESSAND SUFFERING INTO THE WORLD? | The Global Conversation
>
Suffering is a very mixed bag if you ask me. Some people (like me) have been transformed by their suffering while other people simply become all bitter & twisted as a result of their suffering.
>
I guess the best we can do is to remain compassionate and try to relieve people's suffering wherever we can.
>
Here's a few thoughts about compassion -
>
quotes, quotations and passages on compassion
>
Let me know if you DO find an answer that satisfies you.
>
Namaste

Firestorm77

Salaam friends,

Thanks and peace

Perhaps suffering in this world exists because we human beings are abusing free-will, and perhaps Allah(swt) wants us to learn from this suffering and become better human beings.

From Islamic preservative, God will compensate us for this suffering in the next life:

“For any adversity a Muslim suffers, Allah erases some of his sins, even though it may be no more than a thorn pricking him.” ~Bukhari

Ahmed99

Salaam friends,

Thanks and peace
It is up to us to except the things that we are powerless to do anything. But it is very much on our backs to change and do good to help others. But this system can tare your heart out sometimes. Make you not believe or even hate. I Look at it as a test. I can only change myself and sometimes I have and awesome hard time with that. I can really understand people ask these questions. Also that religious so called leaders have not a clue to give you a straight answer. When it gets to the point that it can bring tears to your eyes. I become so thankful and greatful for all I have. Inshallah.

Ahmed99

It is up to us to except the things that we are powerless to do anything. But it is very much on our backs to change and do good to help others. But this system can tare your heart out sometimes. Make you not believe or even hate. I Look at it as a test. I can only change myself and sometimes I have and awesome hard time with that. I can really understand people ask these questions. Also that religious so called leaders have not a clue to give you a straight answer. When it gets to the point that it can bring tears to your eyes. I become so thankful and greatful for all I have. Inshallah.

mahmoud mrt

Salaam friends,

Thanks and peace

I would like to post the research I humbly made in this regarding Heaven & hell and the free will question

Kindly if you want read i , it directly relate to your question.

Heaven & Hell, and the Free will question | ReligiousForums.com

Regards

Mahmoud

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Salaam friends,

Thanks and peace

Salam

In Islam people are tested by God. He invites people to believe in Him and do good deeds.
Like it was said God listen to our prayers but for some reasons He can answers to them in this life or in the hereafter.
He may not answers our prayers to see how we will react (if we are patient, if we'll turn our back to God etc...).
So the one living in misery (for exemple) will succes in the hereafter because of his patience (if he avoid evil).

God Said since the beginning that life won't be easy for men (verse 90.4) but we must be good people, be patient and avoid evil.
For exemple someone who kill an innocent (and doesn't repent) will be cursed by God and God will be angry against him.
He won't intervene in this life, but the murderer will be punish for his act in the hereafter.

90.4 We have certainly created man into hardship.
90.6 He says, "I have spent wealth in abundance."

90.11 But he has not broken through the difficult pass.
90.12 And what can make you know what is [breaking through] the difficult pass?

90.13-14 It is the freeing of a slave. Or feeding on a day of severe hunger
90.15-16 An orphan of near relationship. Or a needy person in misery.

But people disobey because of many things (egoism, money etc...) and that what causes suffering on earth.
This is a test for both : the one who is suffering and the one who is doing bad deeds.

30.42 Corruption has appeared on land and sea because of what men’s hands have wrought, that He may make them taste the fruit of some of their doings, so that they may turn back from evil.

God is watching those who do evil and don't care about poor people (even if they believe in God).
This life is nice for them and they always want more without think of those in need, but then God will judge them.
As for those who have a difficult life but do good deeds and are patient, they will have a nice life in the hereafter.
That's why God doesn't always intervene, to see how men will act and also because we have free will.
But He gaves us some laws to know what is good and what is bad, and that those who persist in the evil will be punish.

89.16 But when He (God) tries him and restricts his provision, he says, "My Lord has humiliated me."

89.17 No! But you do not honor the orphan
89.18 And you do not encourage one another to feed the poor.
89.19 And you consume inheritance, devouring [it] altogether,
89.20 And you love wealth with immense love.

89.21-22 No! When the earth has been leveled - pounded and crushed -And your Lord has come and the angels, rank upon rank

89.23 And brought [within view], that Day, is Hell - that Day, man will remember, but what good to him will be the remembrance?
89.24 He will say, "Oh, I wish I had sent ahead [some good] for my life."