• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do YOU have the right to vote on MY rights?

nutshell

Jensa said:
If it was a just world, it wouldn't matter what you thought about my rights, nutshell. Unfortunately tyranny by the majority is popular at the moment, and queers are about as unpopular as it gets right now.

We can wait, yes. We will get rights. But why <i>should</i> we wait?

There is no perfect justice in this world. I'm happy you realize that. I know you don't care about my opinion and I don't care about yours. I tried. I sincerely wanted someone to explain why gay marriage is a human right, but no one could do it. You call this tyranny, but I wonder why I should support something that cannot be explained.

By the way, Christians currently feel just as unpopular as you; we are under constant attack.

Enjoy the wait. I fear your wait will be over sooner rather than later.

nutshell

Jensa said:
Yes, we're all aware of the grave social consequences of gay marriage.

For example, look at the Netherlands.

... which are mysteriously intact.

Okay, look at Spain!

... which isn't being burned to the ground for accepting those sodomites.

Okay, Canada!

... still going strong, though some people might argue the new conservative government is a sign that God hates them.

Belgium!

Darn it all, why are none of these places falling apart for letting gays marry?! It's almost like it doesn't hurt society at all!

It takes time.

I hope sarcasm brings you joy --- you seem to have a lot of it.

nutshell

standing_alone said:
By benefits, I mean the 1,049+ federal rights that come with marriage. Tax breaks are one thing that interests me the least.

That's right. The benefits are more important than the actual marriage.

standing_alone

By the way, Christians currently feel just as unpopular as you; we are under constant attack.

Under constant attack? What constant attack? Funny, the Christian group at my college doesn't have their posters ripped off the walls like the LGBT group does.

standing_alone

That's right. The benefits are more important than the actual marriage.

We want to be treated equally as heterosexuals are treated. If I am devoted to a woman, like you would be to a wife, why should I be treated differently? If our relationship was filled with the same amount of love and devotion, why shouldn't we be entitled to the same federal rights and protections you heterosexuals take for granted?

nutshell

Jensa said:
Start your war on "protecting" marriage in Vegas. If there's anything that's a threat to it, it's bimbos like Britney Spears being married for a few days and getting out of it at a snap of the fingers.?

Just because heterosexuals may do stupid things is not a compelling reason to believe gay marriage is a human right. Surely, a similar percentage of homosexuals are just as stupid. Britney Spears is not the poster child for marriage.

Jensa said:
Tell me, if your marriage was in danger because people considered allowing Mormons to marry something that would destroy the country and voted to make it illegal to allow Mormons to marry, would you feel that marriage was a human right then?

This is pretty much what happened with polygamy. The practice was ended because we believe in submitting to the laws of the land. I would continue to believe marriage was a human right, but understand that Gods laws and human laws do not always match up.

nutshell

standing_alone said:
Under constant attack? What constant attack? Funny, the Christian group at my college doesn't have their posters ripped off the walls like the LGBT group does.

I wish I could go to your school. The exact opposite happens where I am.

Lost Soul

Buttons* said:
Well, you're saying that we dont get to vote for religions rights, but we get to vote for gay rights. Are religions in the same league as homosexuality?

What if they started a homosexual religion? :confused:

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
nutshell said:
Pardon me, but boo-flippin-hoo. When's the last time a Christian was allowed to DIE because a prejudiced jerk wouldn't let someone perform CPR on them? When's the last time a Christian was hospitalized for going into a bathroom? When's the last time a Christian was beat to death for looking at someone the wrong way?

When is the last time a Christian was denied human rights simply because they were Christians?

You can't be top dog in a country and cry about how mean the minorities are to you. I was a Christian before. I remember what it was like. There's the odd nonChristian that's fairly vocal about how wrong Christians are, but you can be fairly sure that at least 7 out of 10 random people on the street will share your faith.

I have been Christian, I have also been gay. I can say with complete confidence that it is much harder to be gay than Christian. I have known few Christians to get kicked out of their parents' homes for being Christian. This is a common story in the gay community. People aren't fired for being Christian. It's currently legal where I am to fire someone for being gay.

Don't tell me you have it so hard and are constant attack when you have all your rights.

Ody

nutshell said:
I wish I could go to your school. The exact opposite happens where I am.

The christians at my school suffer no intolerance at my campus either.

Pah

Uber all member
nutshell said:
The burden of proof is on those seeking to change the definition, not me.

Erase my religious beliefs and I still believe gay marriage is a bad idea.
Where is that definition. Show where us were it is previously defined.

standing_alone

I would continue to believe marriage was a human right, but understand that Gods laws and human laws do not always match up.

Precisely, God's laws and human laws don't always match up. So why can't we allow homosexuals to marry and follow the human law, and you can follow God's law and leave us homosexuals alone!

nutshell

This thread has grown tiring and I will no longer be posting in this thread. I have given the gay community at RF to provide compelling evidence that did not include restating the conclusion as evidence and they have failed. Not a single post in the several pages I've been involved could do this. Why should I support something they cannot even explain?

Goodbye.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
nutshell said:
This is pretty much what happened with polygamy. The practice was ended because we believe in submitting to the laws of the land. I would continue to believe marriage was a human right, but understand that Gods laws and human laws do not always match up.
So if you were able to be legally blocked from seeing your wife in a hospital, legally forced to testify against her in court, legally have your children taken away and put in an orphanage, legally unable to take leave off work to take care of her when she was sick, legally ad nauseum not able to have certain rights, you would just roll over and take it, am I right? Because that is what you are asking us to do.

Ody

nutshell said:
This thread has grown tiring and I will no longer be posting in this thread. I have given the gay community at RF to provide compelling evidence that did not include restating the conclusion as evidence and they have failed. Not a single post in the several pages I've been involved could do this. Why should I support something they cannot even explain?

Goodbye.

And people like you vote :areyoucra

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
nutshell said:

Goodbye.
If by "compelling evidence" you mean "weak cop-outs", sure. I'm sorry the kitchen's become too hot for you.

standing_alone

Goodbye.

Can't take the pressure no more, eh?

Pah

Uber all member
Victor said:
New Advent
By many uncivilized races, and by most civilized ones, the marriage ceremony is regarded as a religious rite or includes religious features, although the religious element is not always regarded as necessary to the validity of the union.

I have no idea where you got your information from. Care to share?
Marriage in this country, in which our laws apply, have made it secular since the time of the Puritans. By definition sectarian, is the one that marriage may or may not be sacred. By definition, secular can not be sacred. It was allowed to the church to perform the ceremony but the marriage was and is civil not eclesiatical. No marriage today is sacred. Have whatever ceremony you like but marriage remains outside the purview of the church, any church. All pastors act as agents of the state when witnessing the vow of wanting and accepting the legal status of marriage. Civil law takes precedence over any religious theme by virtue of the same Amendment that allows freedom of worship. You are able to worship at the largess of the Constitution and you marry in the law permitted by the Constitution.

Pah

Uber all member
nutshell said:

Goodbye.
You have not given any refuring evidence as far as I can see. You have not answered many of my questions.

I realize avoidance can be very tiring. Go rest then.