• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do you believe in your God, and not just God?

Haydaman

Monkey In A Suit
To me, I don't understand that if you believe in God, why not just believe in Him? Why must you add so many things complex, to something that can be so simple? Why must you worship Him, and not just look up every now and then and smile? Why must you do specific rituals? Why do you believe He has spoken to you do to such horrible things? Why can't you just except that He exists, and there's nothing more to it? No churches need to be built, no books to be written, no crusades to be had, no killings in the name of your God, nothing else but knowing He is there.

As I see it, your religion is completely based on where you were born, your upbringing, and pure circumstance. No different then the language you speak. Some may argue that there are Christians in India, there are Muslims in the U.S, and Buddhists in Canada...well guess what, try saying that before they were introduced there. If you had no prior knowledge it existed, you wouldn't believe it...

So why have we had to come on this turbulent debate on who is right? If you believe in God, why can't you just believe He exists? No strings attached. Continue to live, be happy, and prosper knowning he is there...why must you get so complicated?

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
For me the reason why I can't just acknowledge him and then continue with my life is because I believe that God as a plan for us. We are his spirit children and he sent us to earth to gain experience, knowledge, and to prove that we have a desire to accept his plan for us. The reason for having an established church and specific rituals is because he has given us rules and commandment that we must follow so we can become better more pure people. This is so that when we are judged we will have met the requirements to return to him. If we don't become more perfect people it would be like a man covered in mud trying to enter a high class restaurant. We wouldn't be compatable to live in God's presence.

So basically we must follow God's commandment in-order to be worthy to return to his presence. But of course there are many religions and each one teaches something different. And yes for the most part peoples religion is based on where the live. However, people should ake it upon themselves to question their 'native' religious values and seek out the Truth. They should do this through study, pray, and asking God if what they have learned is the truth.

I believe that all religions are connected somehow. The first religion was the one Adam was in. As adams decendants were lead astray from the pure religion by the temptations and whisperings of Satan other religions were formed. These religions didnot contain the whole truth but parts of it. God has always made attempts at keeping a 100% true church on the Earth but people still have the agency to choose to follow that or not. As people moved to different regions around the Earth they developed different culture and different beliefs. Many new distinct religions were created by people who saw something miraculous, by a person doing something amazing, or as a way to explain things that people didn't understand.

There was only one true Church in the beginning. God only has one church on the Earth that contains all the doctrine, authority, principles, means to make covenants, and ordinances that will allow us to return to him. There was, is, and will be only one true church. That is why there is debate because people there are so many religions and so many trying to find, or thinking they have found the true church. And it's alright because we are all individuals and have the freedom to choose what we want, as long as you do what you believe is right.

I didn't intent for it to be that long but I guess that works.

Haydaman

Monkey In A Suit
You say there is only one true God, on true savior..Christ. How can someone who is isolated from the outside world expect to find this true savior if he has nothing to study? No outside intelligence to guide him, only his self reassurance that there is something bigger than himself out there. If you were in a different country, with a different ethnicity and religion, I highly doubt you would be a Christian. Through study, or guidance.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
You say there is only one true God, on true savior..Christ. How can someone who is isolated from the outside world expect to find this true savior if he has nothing to study? No outside intelligence to guide him, only his self reassurance that there is something bigger than himself out there. If you were in a different country, with a different ethnicity and religion, I highly doubt you would be a Christian. Through study, or guidance.

Yes that is true. If wasn't born iin this culture I would probably be of another religion. Speaking of those cultures or individuals who are seperated from other belief systems. That is also another reason why there are so many different religion. I believe that those who do not have the chance to hear the Gospel in this life either through isolation from it, or other reasons, will have the chance to hear it after they die. There they can accept or reject it just as they would if they had heard it during mortality.

BFD_Zayl

I have heard the gospel, and I have turned it down... I do not deny that other Gods may exist... I just choose to honor mine, afer reading much religious material, my Gods suit me better then any others.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
I have heard the gospel, and I have turned it down... I do not deny that other Gods may exist... I just choose to honor mine, afer reading much religious material, my Gods suit me better then any others.

Then you must follow what you believe. At least you have researched it out and chosen what you believe to be true. I know that my Church is the True church and I live according to that knowledge. However that has no bearing on the fact that you believe what you have discovered. What you believe is between you and whatever God you choose to believe in.

I lost my train of thought. I must be more tired than I thought. Please excuse me if I start speaking nonsense. hehehe.

EDIT: What are your beliefs anyway? I would be very interested to hear about them?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
If you make friends with someone, do you think about them every once in a while and say "oh yeah, I have a friend"? Or, do you call them up and invite them for dinner, or a card game, or go out for a few drinks?

BFD_Zayl

Then you must follow what you believe. At least you have researched it out and chosen what you believe to be true. I know that my Church is the True church and I live according to that knowledge. However that has no bearing on the fact that you believe what you have discovered. What you believe is between you and whatever God you choose to believe in.

I lost my train of thought. I must be more tired than I thought. Please excuse me if I start speaking nonsense. hehehe.

EDIT: What are your beliefs anyway? I would be very interested to hear about them?
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38736 this lengthy thread describes it very well. whether or not you are interested in hearing them, is up to you.

LogDog

I believe that those who do not have the chance to hear the Gospel in this life either through isolation from it, or other reasons, will have the chance to hear it after they die. There they can accept or reject it just as they would if they had heard it during mortality.

You mean they don't have to take anything on faith? They die, discover there is life after death, are presented with the gospel and given a choice? How can anyone deny the existence of god with that kind of evidence?

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
It's not as simple as that. I believe that while suddenly realizing there is life after death may be a big surprise to some, on the average it won't be that big of a surprise. Also just because someone realizes they are living after they have just died, that realization doesn't change who the person is. In my beliefs when a person dies they go to the Spirit World where they await the resurrection. Lets take a catholic for example. Now I'm not a catholic expert nor do i claim to be but if a catholic arrived in the spirit worl I'm pretty sure they would still have all their Catholic beliefs with them. And they would use the same reasoning they did here on earth.

Now for someone who didn't believe in life after death I'm sure it would be quite shocking but in the Spirit World they wont meet God face to face there so they still will be able to formulate whatever ideas they want to about their current situation.

Again, sorry If I'm rambling on I'm pretty sleepy.

But anyway. I believe that there still will need to be faith in the Spirit world Primarily because here we need faith to believe that the afterlife is the next step. I think that there they wil need faith to believe that the resurrection is the next step.

But then also it's not as simple as presenting them with the gospel and them accepting it. Certain ordinances must be performed for every person that was or is alive on this Earth. They must also accept these ordinances.

That's all I have for now. I don't claim to have a perfect knowledge of my religion but I know enough. I believe all the answers will be revieled in time.

BFD_zayl your Necromancy is very interesting. I haven't finished reading the thread but may I ask what the final goal is with your beliefs. As you probably know with my beliefs the goal is to return to God and be able to live in his presence. What is the goal or purpose behind your beliefs?