• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people believe in god?

giggles86

I am doing a college level research paper on why people believe in god. I'm not trying to be offensive to anyone. I just would like some perspectives on some questions that non believers use on why there is no god.

What religion are you affiliated with?

Why do you believe in god?

Did you grow up in a religious family?

Why do believe in god if there is no physical evidence?

If you believe god is real because of your holy books wouldn't other religions be true because they have holy books too?

How can you believe god created us with all the evidence that supports Evolution?

Do you believe you feel or hear god when you pray? Do you believe in alien abductions? Can't we prove alien abductions are true on the same basis that god exists because you can feel or hear god?

Why do most religioussocieties have the most problems? The United States is the more religious than nations like the Netherlands who have higher levels of aethism?

Is there any other comments that you would like to say?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I am doing a college level research paper on why people believe in god. I'm not trying to be offensive to anyone. I just would like some perspectives on some questions that non believers use on why there is no god.

UU.

Personal experience.

No.

1) I don't believe the physical is all there is.
2) Whether or not there is physical evidence is a matter of perspective.

If you believe god is real because of your holy books wouldn't other religions be true because they have holy books too?
N/A

How can you believe god created us with all the evidence that supports Evolution?
They're not mutually exclusive. What, you never heard of theistic evolution?

Do you believe you feel or hear god when you pray?
I don't believe in prayer.

Do you believe in alien abductions? Can't we prove alien abductions are true on the same basis that god exists because you can feel or hear god?
If you don't want to be offensive, this was a bad tactic to take.

Why do most religioussocieties have the most problems? The United States is the more religious than nations like the Netherlands who have higher levels of aethism?
It's a hell of a lot more complicated than that.

Yeah, if you want a wide rang of responses, it would help not to be so antagonistic. You catch more flies with honey, and all that.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
What religion are you affiliated with? I am a theist of the Christian persuasion.

I can't answer that question in words.

No, I was raised in an agnostic/atheist home.

There is physical evidence, the earth existing- that there is life on it for one. Religion is just another answer to the question "where did we come from?" Science is another answer. Some people follow both science and religion (they are totally separate so they can be combined). It is a fallacy that all scientists are also atheists.

That certainly is very possible. I have always maintained that idea.

I believe in a lot of aspects of evolution, well not evolution itself, but some of it's components- such as adapting to one's environment. I figure since God created us, He would have created to survive even if there was a change in our environment. I also believe in Natural Selection- I have seen proof in that.

Do you believe you feel or hear god when you pray? Do you believe in alien abductions? Can't we prove alien abductions are true on the same basis that god exists because you can feel or hear god?
I have heard voices call my name when there was no one there- which atheists would probably call a delusion or a sound of the house settling with a sound that sounded like my name. ;) I have also seen an angel.
I don't know about aliens outside of the movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind or ET and a few other shows and movies- . There may be life on other planets, but would they have any ability to leave their solar system any more than we do?

Why do most religious societies have the most problems? The United States is the more religious than nations like the Netherlands who have higher levels of atheism?
There are problems in those places. Most of the problems in the USA are because of race, lifestyle, and just plain being different- and religion included. These problems would exist without religion, too. Gang wars aren't started by religion, for example.

Maybe later.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

My own. ^_^ My parents were (and pretty much are) agnostic, so I was never raised with any sort of religion, so I just made one up myself. As I grow in knowledge and experience, that religion constantly changes.

Pretty much the only constants are polytheism, the Living Gaia, and that all that exists is the body of the One.

Gods, actually. It makes sense to me that since there are lifeforms that apparently cannot perceive us, that there are beings that we cannot perceive, and I call them gods.

Like I said earlier, my parents were agnostic. I was not taught either way, whether or not God existed.

Just because our current scientific instruments cannot detect something, does that mean it does not exist?

But I'm open to the very real possibility that the gods do not exist.

Gaia on the other hand, I'm convinced is alive.

I believe all "holy" books to be valid, even if I disagree, and I'm pretty much agnostic about most of them being from God. (though when it comes to certain books in the Bible, it's pretty clear to me that they are completely the hand of man; others I'm agnostic about)

I fully accept evolution as being factual.

However, evolution only explains how things went from one thing to the next. (including the chemical reactions that led to the earliest life in the first place) Nobody knows how, or even if, it all began.

I don't pray to any god, because I believe they do not interfere with our lives.

"Aliens" on the other hand... I'm fairly sure that the beings we call Grays do exist, but whether or not they're actually "aliens", considering they're always described as being more or less hominid in structure...

Alien abductions? I'm quite skeptical of that considering the kinds of people that tend to get "abducted"...

That problem appears when religion is legalized and politicized, which I think is very harmful.

Not at the moment.

TerranIV

Infidel

I'm sure you are not asking for an atheist's response to these questions but you are going to get one anyway! :)

None

I don't believe in god because I have come to believe reason is a better model of reality than mythology and mysticism. Reason, science, evidence, and discussion produces more tangible results than irrationality and superstition.

Yes I did. I was raised Mormon. (Joseph Smith was my great-great-great grandfather's cousin.)

People believe in god because it is a more interesting and dramatic explanation of the universe than scientific forces and laws of nature. For thousands of years humans have thought of answers to in-answerable questions and have had to be satisfied with mythology and gods. These beliefs server to satisfy our unending curiosity and perhaps quell many of our anxieties about the unknown. Religion and belief in gods can serve to stabilize the psyche under times of great stress and helps us in our journey to find more substantial answers to life's big questions.

Most people don't really believe in god because of their holy books, they just use them to back them up. There is a choice involved when you believe in god, the choice to believe in what you were raised to believe or what you have imagined on your own or a lack of understanding in the power of reason and scientific progress. Many people have a hard time seeing the order in our lives and are confused by the seemingly random (and sometimes truly random) things we encounter. The human mind likes to come up with explanations for things we don't understand and sometimes it is hard to let those go when better ideas come along.

I don't think evolution and belief in god are mutually exclusive. Although a propensity for believing in irrationality would lead some religious people to reject the reasonable and simple mechanism of evolution. Others simply lack the scope to see how life and the earth would be when the natural every day processes are stretched over the nearly incomprehensible epochs of time of the earth's existence.

I did believe I could hear god when I prayed. It was very difficult to understand where those voices were coming from when I realized religion just couldn't hold up under the weight of it's own inconsistencies. The voices were scriptures that came to mind, and positive ideas which helped me get through tough times. I hear the same voices now, but I recognize them as my own thoughts or memories of things I have learned and not the voice of god telling me secrets of the universe.

If alien abductions were true we could (in theory) find evidence for them if we knew what kind of technology they were using. If they are so far advanced beyond us their technology (as Arthur C. Clarke said) would be indistinguishable from magic. If and alien were posing as god we would really have no way of knowing unless they choose to tell us. This is different from god who supposedly will never let us in on his game because his/her/it's existence depends on the faith of the masses.

Why do most religious societies have the most problems? The United States is the more religious than nations like the Netherlands who have higher levels of aethism?

I believe it is the propensity to believe in irrational ideas which religion fosters more than atheism. The idea that you can prosper from committing atrocities and then be forgiven for them later by talking to a priest or praying to god tends to numb people to the real effects of their actions on themselves, others, and their society. Not that atheists are all saints and religious people are all fools, but religion gives credence to irrational thoughts and allows people to justify foolish actions easier than an atheist who believes our only chance at life is the one we are living. If an atheist get's a life sentence that is really the end, but if a christian gets a life sentence it is just a waiting game spent repenting and preparing for the next life.

I think it is important to remember than many of the great ideas we have today were once only a part of religion. Modern religion has allowed itself to be hacked away by government, philosophy, ethics, and science until only the irrational portions of religion remain in their immediate domain. It used to be religion, philosophy, and civic duty was all wrapped into one part of tribal living. Once societies began springing up human life was split into various specialties and religion became more and more ostracized as knowledge replaced superstition - as astronomy replaced astrology.

The facility of the human mind to come up with creative explanations for what we see in nature fared well for our ancestors and allowed them to survive and ultimately to allow us to be born in this day of incredible sophistication and knowledge. Even though the irrationality of religion can cause harm when it is taken as truth, creativity can lead us to more truth as long as we take the precaution to measure our ideas up against evidence from the observable universe.

Last edited:

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Christianity (nondenominational)

Logic. Not only does my own reasoning cause me to believe in God, there is also overwhelming evidence supporting Christianity and the Christian God.

Yes.

There is physical evidence.

No, because I don't view their holy books as inspired by God.

I don't see how evolution necessarily contradicts creation.

I feel God at all times, but I've never heard Him. I've never claimed that I can prove God exists. I can offer compelling evidence for His existence...but some people can do the same for aliens. It often comes down to faith alone.

I don't see the correlation between individual nations and religion. There are too many other things that factor in, such as population, GDP, employment, race relations, unemployment rates, state of the military/war, economy, etc.

misanthropic_clown

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormonism)

There are a variety of contributing factors, though the most personally powerful reasons are generally to do with what I understand to be answers to prayer. Observations of my own and other behaviour patterns have also helped me determine that certain religious principles help me to be a far better person, if you are looking for something with a little more empiricism.

Yes. My grandparents on my dad's side were converted to Mormonism, and my mum was converted directly as well as with her parents. Thus most of my immediate and close family are Mormon.

Firstly, from my observing and talking to some people on here, physical evidence is a very subjective thing. I could point to a few physical things I consider to be evidence of my faith, for example the Book of Mormon, but there are plenty of people who are unconvinced by it. I'm afraid proof and skepticism are largely in the eye of the beholder rather than intrinsic properties of the evidence with regards to God(s).

I largely hold the view that most religions hold at least an element of truth. In fact, the majority of major religions have a heck of a lot more in common than they have differences. I know this can't be used to logically deduce that mine is the right one, but I reckon that even if it weren't, I would be close enough to it for the differences not to matter.

The notion that evolution presents an insurmountable problem for religion is a rather weak one. I advise you try and take a look at the large amount of material written on the topic. Dr. Francis Collins' (Head of Human Genome project) The Language of God is a good start.

I have certainly had feeling experiences, but not hearing in the classical conversational sense - rather that ideas or past experiences come to mind which give me a fresh perspective on something I have been praying about.

Without knowing the specifics of alien abductions (I can't say I have read into the topic) I don't think I can really comment fairly on that last part. All I can really say is that I consider my religious beliefs to be a consistent and logical thing. I am under the impression that alien abductions rarely fall into that category.

I find the notion that religion is the reason behind division to be a rather naive one. People are generally divisive in nature and will use any given excuse to separate, in my opinion

I would have hoped someone writing a college paper would try for something a little more mature.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter

Good luck. :D