• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did the Jews move to Israel/Palestine in 1882 ?

Flankerl

Welcome back

Was never gone.

New Who oppressed the Jews before Hitler ? Particularly in Europe ?

Christians.

The reason I'm asking is because there was a rather long period where there weren't that many Jews and more Palestinians living there ?

Actually there weren't more Arabs living there. Jerusalem was a majority Jewish city.
The land was completely neglected by the Mamluks and then Ottomans.
Especially the lands in which we ultimately started new cities were malaria ridden swamps.
With the British Mandate came Arab immigration.

Sephardic Jews fled the Spanish inquisition en masse to the Netherlands and the Ottoman Empire, mass migration due to persecution is hardly a new phenomenon among Jewish communities. But I would recognize a difference between that, and calling for the creation of a sovereign nation state specifically to house all those migrants.

Sephardim fled Al-Andalus first because of the Almohads and their fun "convert, die or flee" approach to Islam.
Doing so they also fled north to the Christian Kingdoms, which was accidentally the only reason the Iberian Christians had any Jews to persecute during the 15th century.

The urge to have a Jewish state is completely normal for Jews.
We already tried that in the 7th century during the last Roman-Persian war on the Persian side.
Sadly that lead to nothing, including the attempt to rebuild the Temple.

Afterwards the area was never in a situation in which we had the chance to try and restart again.
That only changed in the 20th century.

rosends

I'm not taking sides but wasn't there a period where there weren't many Jews in Palestine and it was an Arab majority ?

And if the Jews were persecuted in Europe before the Nazis them why were there so many still in Europe until the Nazis ?

Why didn't they leave Europe sooner if there were multiple purges in the Russian Empire? Wouldn't one purge be enough of a catalyst ?

I'm genuinely curious
There was a long time when the Jewish population was the minority -- the majority consisted of many other groups including Muslims, Europeans and Christians of various sorts (depending on the era). Jews remained in Europe through persecutions because that's where they lived and, except for the places from which they had been expelled (though some were allowed to return to, for example, England) people live where they live and hope that they can survive. Some hide their religion, others are moved into ghettos. The pogroms, though, weren't purges. They were attacks. Pogroms in the Russian Empire - Wikipedia

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
We already tried that in the 7th century during the last Roman-Persian war on the Persian side.
Afterwards the area was never in a situation in which we had the chance to try and restart again.
Yea, sorry, but as a general principle, I don't speak to representatives of governments, entire nations, or other collective subjects and social constructs, only private individuals.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Mark Twain visited Israel in 1867 and wrote of it in Innocents Abroad. He described it as a bleak and desolate land. Almost uninhabited. Some excerpts here, or you could borrow my copy:

Mark Twain in the Holy Land

The Palestinians may have followed the Jewish settlers.

Flankerl

Yea, sorry, but as a general principle, I don't speak to representatives of governments, entire nations, or other collective subjects and social constructs, only private individuals.

As a Jew whose ancestor were these Jews I will continue to include myself in the exploits of the B'nai Yisrael.

Weird thing to write of you.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
As a Jew whose ancestor were these Jews I will continue to include myself in the exploits of the B'nai Yisrael.
The entirety of mankind forgives you, for now, but all life of the cosmos would still prefer to talk to individuals.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
If I'm not mistaken, there was an attempt to create a Jewish autonomy in Tz'fat in the time of Donna Gracia.

ronki23

@Harel13 @Shaul @rosends @Flankerl

I'm very interested to hear the Jewish perspective on the Naturei Karta (have I spelt that right?) and the Haredi/Hasidic as both are against the establishment of Israel despite the latter living there.

Then again Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Kuwait don't really like Palestinians anyway judging by their treatment of the PLO.

It's very interesting

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm very interested to hear the Jewish perspective on the Naturei Karta (have I spelt that right?) and the Haredi/Hasidic as both are against the establishment of Israel despite the latter living there.
It is difficult to give a Jewish perspective on a group of religious Jews. What I can give you is my personal Orthodox Jewish view: They are deeply confused about many things.

Note: Neturei Karta (Aramaic for "guardians of the city" (=Jerusalem)) are an extremist branch of Charedi Jews and live in Israel.

rosends

@Harel13 @Shaul @rosends @Flankerl

Then again Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Kuwait don't really like Palestinians anyway judging by their treatment of the PLO.

It's very interesting
I can speak only for my own opinion and from my own knowledge base. They are a small group which is against the idea of a secular/political state of Israel and yearn only for a pure theocracy. They believe that as soon as the political state is dismantled, there will immediately, in its place, come to be a messianic, religious Jewish state in which non-Jews are subservient. Somehow, non-Jews who are against Israel latch on to the first part and don't realize the second part.

By the way, I found that little wrinkle on the NK website many years ago. When I emailed them to ask about whether they publicized it, they never responded and changed their website to remove that statement. Funny, that.

Flankerl

Also their entire theology is riddled in errors and ignorance on the rulings of other Rabbis.
They even ignore the Sages of the Talmud when it fits their agenda.

But hey they are the real Jews or whatever.

Tali018

Back to the original question, the Ottoman Empire passed the Land Act in 1858 which allowed Jews to purchase land in the Levant and get deeds for the land. There were small purchases from that year forward. 1881 was the start of the first Aliya from other nations in Southern Ottoman Syria (not called Palestine at the time).