• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why did jesus call judas the betrayer?

waitasec

Veteran Member
doppelgänger;2603254 said:
You won't find much of the divinity of Jesus in Mark, even from the most rabid trinitarians. The author of Mark presents a fairly human Jesus.

indeed.

Acim

Revelation all the time
(Obviously) Gospel of Judas has a much different spin on this.

As do most progressive revelation sources.

Neophyte

Miranda Kerr Worship
Since Jesus knew the future and everything is predestined, it does not seem right to criticize Judas. Not just that, the Bible said the devil entered into him. How was that his fault?

Joh 13:26 Jesus answered, He it is, to whom I shall give a sop, when I have dipped it. And when he had dipped the sop, he gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon.
Joh 13:27 And after the sop Satan entered into him. Then said Jesus unto him, That thou doest, do quickly.
Joh 13:28 Now no man at the table knew for what intent he spake this unto him.

didn't judas play an important role in order to fulfill jesus' purpose?
i find it odd that instead of judas acting on his own why didn't jesus just tell judas what to do when the time came?
why did jesus set judas up and allow him to kill himself knowing his entire purpose for becoming human was to provide for atonement as the ultimate sacrifice...

thoughts?

edit:
why have a judas at all? why not just walk up to the authorities and turn himself in as king of the jews?

Maybe Jesus didn't know that after he was killed a ressurection and sin mythology would sprout up. He was probably miffed that some tosser had grassed on him and got him an execution.

Spirited

Bring about world peace
didn't judas play an important role in order to fulfill jesus' purpose?
i find it odd that instead of judas acting on his own why didn't jesus just tell judas what to do when the time came?
why did jesus set judas up and allow him to kill himself knowing his entire purpose for becoming human was to provide for atonement as the ultimate sacrifice...

thoughts?

edit:
why have a judas at all? why not just walk up to the authorities and turn himself in as king of the jews?

Because the original mission of Christ was not to die.

no-body

Arguably Jesus committed a complicated form of suicide. It is clear from his strange behavior during the last supper that he knew Judas was the betrayer and that he was going to get arrested that night.

I have to give Jesus props for using the events of his death to teach non-violence and meekness, rather than running away or fighting, but no one cares about that.

waitasec

Veteran Member
i would imagine what judas did was to betray jesus' political stance...
but why would god be concerned with that?
makes god look quite small, small enough to call him a man who's subjected to other men

Last edited:

Spirited

Bring about world peace
i would imagine what judas did was to betray jesus' political stance...
but why would god be concerned with that?
makes god look quite small, small enough to call him a man who's subjected to other men
What Judas did was betray Christ, leading to his death. God did not send his only begotten son to die. Jesus was able to turn his death into a victory, but that does not mean that it was his purpose for coming to Earth.

The mission was to restore God's lineage and set humankind back on the right track. God would be concerned with that because it was his original purpose for creating humanity.

Your dislike for my politics pervades all of your responses to me. I'm just debating, you need to not take things so personally if you want to have a discussion.

Do you actually believe in the Bible or are you just trolling Christians?

waitasec

Veteran Member
What Judas did was betray Christ, leading to his death. God did not send his only begotten son to die. Jesus was able to turn his death into a victory, but that does not mean that it was his purpose for coming to Earth.
john 3:16 refutes that...are you going to argue with jesus himself?
or what about
Hebrews 2:17 17 For this reason he had to be made like them,[a] fully human in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people.
you do believe the bible right?

The mission was to restore God's lineage and set humankind back on the right track. God would be concerned with that because it was his original purpose for creating humanity.
then why not send christ at that point in time instead of a flood?
it's politics as usual

Your dislike for my politics pervades all of your responses to me. I'm just debating, you need to not take things so personally if you want to have a discussion.
if your politics are influenced by bigotry i am here to debate that...what's the problem
Do you actually believe in the Bible or are you just trolling Christians?
i don't beleive the bible is the word of god, to think such a thing would be to trivialize a deity. are you implying asking questions is trolling?
besides this is a thread that i started...

Last edited:

Spirited

Bring about world peace
john 3:16 refutes that...are you going to argue with jesus himself?
or what about
Hebrews 2:17 17 For this reason he had to be made like them,[a] fully human in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people.
you do believe the bible right?
I see nothing in either of these quotes that suggests Christ needed to die to atone for the sins of man or offer eternal life.

then why not send christ at that point in time instead of a flood?
it's politics as usual
Actually that WAS the purpose of the flood, to kill all those who were not the followers of God - Though Noah offered to take people with him, nobody but his own family members believe him - so that the lineage could be restored to God. If Noah's son had not perpetuated the original sin by being ashamed of, and covering, his fathers nakedness, the foundation for Christ would have been laid for the next generation of Noah's family.

if your politics are influenced by bigotry i am here to debate that...what's the problem
My politics are influenced by my understanding of God, the Bible, the Divine Principle, the teachings of Rev. Moon, my conservative values, my parents, and my love of the human race (I'm sure you will argue that as fast as you can).

i don't beleive the bible is the word of god, to think such a thing would be to trivialize a deity. are you implying asking questions is trolling?
besides this is a thread that i started...
The Bible is the history of the word of God as written by imperfect man. I'm implying that there is such a thing as a loaded question (one that presupposes a negative answer desired by the questioner). Instead of asking "did you punch him in the face", asking, "why did you punch him in the face".

And on the point of bigotry, I never asked that gay people be denied any rights that I myself possess. They can get married to someone of the opposite sex, adopt children with someone of the opposite sex and otherwise do everything that I can do. To presume that something deviant of the norm should be accepted as the norm and defended as the norm (like comparing it to African American rights/ Civil Rights) and that all who oppose this view are ignorant bigots is an abomination of the essence of truth. Truth can win arguments without lies, deceit, faulty comparison and faulty reasoning. Truth would never call one side of an argument ignorant, because it does not need to do so to win an argument or gain a following.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I see nothing in either of these quotes that suggests Christ needed to die to atone for the sins of man or offer eternal life.
romans 8:3 For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering.[c] And so he condemned sin in the flesh, 4 in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

Actually that WAS the purpose of the flood, to kill all those who were not the followers of God - Though Noah offered to take people with him, nobody but his own family members believe him - so that the lineage could be restored to God. If Noah's son had not perpetuated the original sin by being ashamed of, and covering, his fathers nakedness, the foundation for Christ would have been laid for the next generation of Noah's family.
:confused:
My politics are influenced by my understanding of God, the Bible, the Divine Principle, the teachings of Rev. Moon, my conservative values, my parents, and my love of the human race (I'm sure you will argue that as fast as you can).
then you don't understand gods word when it clearly says to shake the dust off of your feet.
and why are you so excited about throwing stones at people (figuratively)

And on the point of bigotry, I never asked that gay people be denied any rights that I myself possess. They can get married to someone of the opposite sex, adopt children with someone of the opposite sex and otherwise do everything that I can do.
oh no you didn't just say that...
why subject them to an unhappy marriage just so that you can feel more comfortable?
get over yourself. your beliefs are YOUR beliefs.
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2010/06/07/children-lesbian-couples-school-life/
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100831091240.htm

To presume that something deviant of the norm should be accepted as the norm and defended as the norm (like comparing it to African American rights/ Civil Rights) and that all who oppose this view are ignorant bigots is an abomination of the essence of truth. Truth can win arguments without lies, deceit, faulty comparison and faulty reasoning. Truth would never call one side of an argument ignorant, because it does not need to do so to win an argument or gain a following.
have you ever considered why homosexuals stayed in the closet?
nice mob mentality you got there captain...
just to remind you...it's liberty and justice for ALL not for the majority...
now that's the truth....sorry.

Last edited:

Spirited

Bring about world peace
romans 8:3 For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering.[c] And so he condemned sin in the flesh, 4 in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

If you read the rest of this, it actually supports my claim, but you read only the part that "sounds good" for your argument.

Romans 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

This is referring, as the my doctrine does, to the spiritual salvation offered by Christ. Also, keep in mind that Romans was written about Christs death, not about his life. Christ died for our sins certainly, but that was not his original mission for coming. It was the result of the betrayal of Judas and others who failed him.

Noah was the central figure of his time and would have been able to establish the foundation for Christ to come had it not been for the transgression of Ham. Because of the shame of Ham, the lineage of Noah was split, between Hams children and the children of Ham's brothers.

Genesis 9:24 And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him. 25 And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren 26 And he said, Blessed be the lord God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.

then you don't understand gods word when it clearly says to shake the dust off of your feet.
and why are you so excited about throwing stones at people (figuratively)

You don't understand the meaning of either of these two phrases.

But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. Matt 10:6

Let's skip to 13 now for the sake of time.

13 And if the house be worthy, let your peace come upon it: but if it be not worthy, let your peace return to you. 14 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet. 15 Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgement than for that city.

16 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Skip to 22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

It's clearly referring to people witnessing in the name of the Lord. "Shake the dust off of your feet", is referring to wasting your time with people who arn't going to be swayed but what you are saying. And, while that might be true of my conversations with you on this forum, others who read it may actually be able to gain something from it.

How about the stone throwing comment you keep bringing up, how about you learn what it means?

. . . He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. John 8:7

Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. John 8:11 He did not say, "Neither do I condemn thee: go, and keep sinning." He calls her action a sin. Calling someone out is very different from condemning or physically harming someone. How can he tell his disciples, in almost EVERY chapter of every single book in the New Testament, to teach of his words and spread the gospel if they arn't even allowed to call an act sinful?

I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins. John 8:24

Remember too that in the Bible "judgement" didn't hold the same meaning we give it in our culture today. To "judge" meant quite literally to take action against or try to remedy through punishment. Think of the difference between "prejudice" and "discrimination"; prejudice quite literally means "before judgment", basically that you decide how you to treat someone before you know sufficiently about them. Discrimination is acting out upon your feelings of prejudice. He never told anyone to not recognize sin.

44 You are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. 45 And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not. 46 Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me? All from John 8

He is basically saying that because humanity is fallen, they cannot understand right from wrong without his aid and the aid of God. That even those who hear his words will condemn him as a liar because they are so incapable of understanding heavenly morality.

oh no you didn't just say that...
why subject them to an unhappy marriage just so that you can feel more comfortable?
get over yourself. your beliefs are YOUR beliefs.
Children Of Lesbian Couples Do Well In School, Life | Fox News
Children raised by gay couples show good progress through school, study finds

". . .according to Gartrell, who is in a same-sex partnership.", and yet you still accuse my sources of being biased -.-'

As to the second link, that is not at all the concern I'm talking about. I wouldn't expect there to be any difference in the academic achievement of children adopted by same-sex couples, I refer to their ability to relate to both sexes in a healthy way. I want to see marriage statistics for the children raised by same-sex couples, not grades. I would also like to see if children raised by same-sex couples are more likely to be promiscuous or contract sexually transmitted diseases due to less responsible partnership. Analyzing teens does not address my concerns.

have you ever considered why homosexuals stayed in the closet?
nice mob mentality you got there captain...
just to remind you...it's liberty and justice for ALL not for the majority...
now that's the truth....sorry.

I'm am neither a mob nor a captain; just a young man who will not be beaten down or deterred.

idav

Being
Premium Member
did judas lie?

judas provided the opportunity for your atonement.
if judas didn't point him out, how would atonement be accomplished?
If everyone weren't sinful animals there would be no need for atonement. Lots of people wanted to kill Jesus or turn him in which would be sinful I think. So the atonement would have been needed no matter if he had been turned in or lived to a rightful old age. If anything the crucifixion allowed god to forgive a major atrocity, not that we deserved forgiveness in the first place.