• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Commemorate the Death of Jesus?

some say they have heard of people celebrating the birth of Jesus at Christmas and his resurrection at Easter, but have never heard of anyone commemorating his death. is there any difference?

amorphous_constellation

some say they have heard of people celebrating the birth of Jesus at Christmas and his resurrection at Easter, but have never heard of anyone commemorating his death. is there any difference?

I didn't even know it was this weekend, I got a surprise day off today. Anyway, yeah it is kind of odd celebrating the day this guy was executed, I mean he was executed, and that's not good. But I guess that's what 'good friday' is about.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Im guessing that the focus would be his resurrection. Catholics start the easter with going through His whole life, death, resurrection by replaying the passion of christ through the stations of the cross. They die by repentence, live through His passion, resurrected by penance, and saved by Eucharist and baptism.

I dont know why other churches dont dont something like this. feels like something is missing.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
There can be no resurrection without death.
The whole Easter period from maundy Thursday to Easter monday take us though the major period of Easter week.
All of this period is recognised in significant Christian services of remembrance and worship.
It is not death that is celebrated but Jusus victory over death, and the promise that that holds for us all.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Millions remember the last supper and Jesus's death today, at services all over the World. I know because I have just returned from one that I was invited to attend. :)

JoStories

They do celebrate it in a many of speaking through a very somber service on Good Friday. I think it's rather morbid but that is me.

BrightWhites

The trinity is an important concept to keep in mind here, god is seen as sacrificing hisself as his own avatar, which is an amazing narrative.
Wearing a necklace of a torture device is still creepy though.

Phil25

Good Friday is a a very important day in Syrian Orthodox Christianity. Indeed way more important than Christmas. Church services last for 6-7 hrs.

Awoon

I'd like to know the exact month, day and year he died. The moon calendar is not used today except for Jesus death. Why?
Is that how they do all non historical deaths?

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
Very interesting observation considering that the birth and resurrection have zero impact on the doctrine of salvation. It was the death of christ, and the availability of his blood for bathing that supposedly provided salvation. The resurrection was given as an undeniable, incontrovertible, proof, of his divinity.

Yet, it is denied all the time. According to xtian doctrine, believing christ rose doesn't get you into heaven. Bathing in his blood disguises you as christ, so god doesn't see the filthy, disgusting (perfect creation) you really are. He sees his perfect son. The resurrection is nothing more than incontrovertible, undeniable proof of his divinity.

InChrist

Free4ever
According to the scriptures death is the consequence of sin and everyone sins and faces death. Jesus as the eternal Son of God, came to the earth, paid for the sins of the world, conquered death, and rose victoriously over the grave as only He could. This is worth commemorating from the perspective of all who who have found new and eternal life in Him.

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
According to the scriptures death is the consequence of sin and everyone sins and faces death. Jesus as the eternal Son of God, came to the earth, paid for the sins of the world, conquered death, and rose victoriously over the grave as only He could. This is worth commemorating from the perspective of all who who have found new and eternal life in Him.
How did christ die, if death is the consequence of sin?

kepha31

11130272_10152672909891875_8291901947240546845_n.jpg

JM2C

CHRISTIAN
AC 7:55 But being full of the Holy Spirit, he gazed intently into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God;
AC 7:56 and he said, “Behold, I see the heavens opened up and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God.”

The Lord Jesus Christ is at the right hand of God

kepha31

Very interesting observation considering that the birth and resurrection have zero impact on the doctrine of salvation. It was the death of christ, and the availability of his blood for bathing that supposedly provided salvation. The resurrection was given as an undeniable, incontrovertible, proof, of his divinity.

Yet, it is denied all the time. According to xtian doctrine, believing christ rose doesn't get you into heaven. Bathing in his blood disguises you as christ, so god doesn't see the filthy, disgusting (perfect creation) you really are. He sees his perfect son. The resurrection is nothing more than incontrovertible, undeniable proof of his divinity.
"Bathing in his blood disguises you as christ, so god doesn't see the filthy, disgusting (perfect creation) you really are. He sees his perfect son." Close, but no cigar. That describes forensic or imputed justification that was invented by Martin Luther. Before he came along, it was never a xtian doctrine. The birth, life, death, resurrection and ascension has everything to do with salvation, and should be seen as an organic whole, not compartmentalized or dichotomized.