• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why being an atheist rocks!

I'm in a good mood tonight so thought I'd start a happy thread! I was thinking about how good being an atheist is; I came up with these top 5 reasons. Being a former christian some of mine are sort of based on things I used to hate back then. Feel free to add your own reasons why atheism rocks, you don't have to give a top 5 or anything though, I hate when people ask for that!

In no particular order:

1. I don't have to go to church! I mean seriously, it's so nice to just wake up on a sunday and lie in bed smelling like saturday night's takeaway.

2. I feel constantly motivated. Sometimes when I'm sat in the house it dawns on me that I'm doing nothing. I suddenly have a breakthrough and storm out of the house like a mad scientist screaming "there isn't a moment to lose!!!!" (often with my slippers on :eek: )

3. I have no vicar telling me I'm bad because of what I do, or who I do.

4. Since becoming an atheist I have grown very interested in science. One scientific theory is very close to my heart and has raised my consciousness so much. Because of this theory I have such great respect for nature and my place in it. Thanks Charles.

5. Life just seems so short, that's the greatest gift atheism have given me.

Mary Blackchurch

Free from Stockholm Syndrome
Ok! I am agnostic because I think that's a more honest title for me personally since I don't believe that the existence of God or Gods can be proven BUT since I live the life of an ex-Christian and reborn atheist, I will respond.

I no longer fear death and have panic attacks thinking "God" is going to harm me. Now that's freedom! :yes:

recluse said:
Ok! I am agnostic because I think that's a more honest title for me personally since I don't believe that the existence of God or Gods can be proven BUT since I live the life of an ex-Christian and reborn atheist, I will respond.

I no longer fear death and have panic attacks thinking "God" is going to harm me. Now that's freedom! :yes:

Sorry, I should have added that I welcome responses for agnostics too hehe. Yeah, it's nice to go through life not fearing the even angry sky daddy. :)

Yerda

Veteran Member
My view of reality is more coherent to me as an atheist. I don't believe invoking supernatural causes anywhere in the chain of events is a satisfactory answer.

Plus I get to tease theists about being delusional. :D

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
I had a problem for a really long time with religion, I wanted to be a part of it so bad and was under the obnoxious delusion that it would solve all my problems if I could actually believe in something.
Now that I've realized that this idea is stupid and found my place in atheism, I feel like I can actually live my life without that huge weight on myself. It's quite freeing.

krashlocke

Caveat emptor, athiests... remember that believing that there is no god takes just as much faith in believing that there is one. This is especially true since modern science, while quite fascinating and generally useful is still hampered by its' relience on empirical data which is at its' nature logically flawed and subjective.

It's my personal feeling that if there is a god - and that is still quite a possibility - I will not feel comfortable simply believing - the god as he is understood to me will be self-evident and I will know him. In the meantime, I live a righteous and just life without need or desire for a congregation to appease and reinforce my ideals.

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
I enjoy the utter lack or morality, the emptiness of the soul and meaningless life of despair that comes when one does not believe in gods. The surefire road to Hell is quite nice, also.

:D

Revasser said:
I enjoy the utter lack or morality, the emptiness of the soul and meaningless life of despair that comes when one does not believe in gods. The surefire road to Hell is quite nice, also.

:D

Hehe, indeed. I'll see you in hell my friends. :p

Mary Blackchurch

Free from Stockholm Syndrome
krashlocke said:
Caveat emptor, athiests... remember that believing that there is no god takes just as much faith in believing that there is one. This is especially true since modern science, while quite fascinating and generally useful is still hampered by its' relience on empirical data which is at its' nature logically flawed and subjective.

It's my personal feeling that if there is a god - and that is still quite a possibility - I will not feel comfortable simply believing - the god as he is understood to me will be self-evident and I will know him. In the meantime, I live a righteous and just life without need or desire for a congregation to appease and reinforce my ideals.

This is very true. It's the very reason I call myself an agnostic rather than atheist even though I live an entirely secular existence much like an atheist. And in my heart of hearts I don't believe there's a god. It's funny how people assume that you're a heathen as soon as you say you don't believe the religious books anymore. Because you've stated it right! I also live a much more tolerant and moral life as an agnostic. Once you remove the religious element, humanity becomes much more tolerable. i.e. homosexuality. I couldn't care less anymore because "god books" are removed from the equation.
Sorry, I should have added that I welcome responses for agnostics too hehe. Yeah, it's nice to go through life not fearing the even angry sky daddy. :)

Quite funny, Devils_Chaplain. Even as a christian I referred to god as ' the big policeman in the sky with the billy club'. :eek: :)

Yerda

Veteran Member
krashlocke said:
Caveat emptor, athiests... remember that believing that there is no god takes just as much faith in believing that there is one.
I don't think that is necessarily true, neither relevant - atheists don't need to believe there is no god.

krashlocke said:
This is especially true since modern science, while quite fascinating and generally useful is still hampered by its' relience on empirical data which is at its' nature logically flawed and subjective.
I wouldn't say that empiricism is hampering or that induction lacks credit.

Cheers.

Doktormartini

小虎
Devil's_Chaplain said:
I'm in a good mood tonight so thought I'd start a happy thread! I was thinking about how good being an atheist is; I came up with these top 5 reasons. Being a former christian some of mine are sort of based on things I used to hate back then. Feel free to add your own reasons why atheism rocks, you don't have to give a top 5 or anything though, I hate when people ask for that!

In no particular order:

1. I don't have to go to church! I mean seriously, it's so nice to just wake up on a sunday and lie in bed smelling like saturday night's takeaway.

2. I feel constantly motivated. Sometimes when I'm sat in the house it dawns on me that I'm doing nothing. I suddenly have a breakthrough and storm out of the house like a mad scientist screaming "there isn't a moment to lose!!!!" (often with my slippers on :eek: )

3. I have no vicar telling me I'm bad because of what I do, or who I do.

4. Since becoming an atheist I have grown very interested in science. One scientific theory is very close to my heart and has raised my consciousness so much. Because of this theory I have such great respect for nature and my place in it. Thanks Charles.

5. Life just seems so short, that's the greatest gift atheism have given me.
1. Well, not all Christians go to church all the time. Some denominations don't require you to go.

2. For some reason, this happens to me too!

3. Right, other than my parents obviously...haha.

4. This is the same for me. But also, since becoming an Atheist, I have gained an interest in religion in general and I love to learn about all the different religions.

5. Life is too short, so as an Atheist, you should live your life to the fullets and do your best to be kind and make life better for others. After all, there is no after life (at least to me).

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
I didn't know that, Jaiky.

How long were in the church before you became the awful heretic you are today?

Doktormartini said:
1. Well, not all Christians go to church all the time. Some denominations don't require you to go.

In my first post I'm pretty sure I mentioned that my top 5 were related to my past Christian experiences. I was so scared of God and hell that I felt I simply had to go to church every sunday! Don't worry, I've since recovered.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
Devil's_Chaplain said:
I was so scared of God and hell that I felt I simply had to go to church every sunday!
As a kid, I got hold of my grandmother's copy of Hal Lindsey's "Late, Great Planet Earth", one of those books on the so-called 'end times', sort of the 70s version of the "Left Behind" series (guessing). That definitely put fear into me that took over a decade to undo. Fear can be a motivator, and whoever thought up eternal burning Hell is the most insidiously evil genius ever.