• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why aren't there more Unitarian Universalists?

Darz

Some people have preconceptions about what a church service should be like given their past experiences with religion, and it's true we probably rarely live up to those preconceptions.

Yeah, you're right, I do have preconceptions. The only other experiences I have had are Catholic masses and Baha'i celebrations. Going from religions that have very defined beliefs and practices to the UU which has very little definition, is a huge change. My expectation (after leaving Catholicism) is that when I go to a religious service my spiritual life should be impacted and progress. Unfortunately I didn't feel that way when I went to the UU services.

Most congregations are very open to offering classes/services their congregants want. If you want something more spiritual, ask about it. Be careful though, you may get volunteered to lead it. ;)
Also, some UU churchs tend to the spiritual more in their covenant groups than on the pulpit. Meeting in small discussion groups with a targeted subject is a very good way to delve deep into the spiritual. I agree with you that sometimes it seems as though the pulpit is just a place to announce events and listen to the latest political rant. But every UU church is different so I will echo Green Gaia and recommend try a couple.

That is something I never thought to go to and missed out on. When I move back to the Minneapolis area after I graduate in a few weeks I'll have to see what the UU churches are like there and attend some of their covenant groups.

Thanks for the welcome.
Oh, and the name is Darz, not Draz. :)