• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Why are you a liberal?"

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcvjoWOwnn4

"Don't give yourselves to these unatural men. Machine men, with machine minds, and machine hearts. You are not machines. You are not cattle. You are men!"

"It is written that the kingdom of God is within man, not one man or a group of men, but all men. You the people have the power! You have the power to create machines, to create happiness!"

PureX

Veteran Member
We need to be able to grow, and change, and adapt to the conditions of the moment, but with the ever-present goal of the freedom, security, and happiness for all. I don't believe that conservatism has either the courage, the will, or the insight to follow such a path. I believe that conservatism in general is based on fear, and on protecting the status quo regardless of the cost of doing so to other human beings. Conservatism is not compassionate. Most of the conservatives I know are not compassionate toward other people. They're angry, frightened, and selfish, and they're supporting policies that will benefit themselves, while making excuses for ignoring the damage these policies will do to the well-being of others.

Pariah

Let go
They're angry, frightened, and selfish, and they're supporting policies that will benefit themselves, while making excuses for ignoring the damage these policies will do to the well-being of others.

Don't most people in power do this?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think liberals are slightly better at retaining the best of the past while adapting to this rapidly changing world than are today's neo-conservatives.

spiritually inclined

I have a big problem with many conservatives because of their positions on social issues. Not every liberal is pro-gay marriage, but they're usually more progressive on the issue than most conservatives.

Also, conservatives often mix way too much religion with their politics, eroding the separation of church and state. I am for the complete separation of church and state. This does not mean that I am anti-religion. I think it is better for ALL religion in general for the state to stay out of such matters.

These are just too of my main problems, though I also differ with conservatives on many issues. I don't believe we should have invaded Iraq for the stated reasons, I'm pro-choice (to a degree), etc.

James

PureX

Veteran Member
Don't most people in power do this?
Most people in power are conservative because they want to keep their power. They want to keep things the way they are, which is the essential determinant of conservatism.