• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are we guessing?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Why are there many religions? As I agree with my history teacher on what he told me, religions were originally nature influences, and beyond that, the other religions are just interpretations caught on the other religions.

It caught my mind today, I observed religion being made because it sounded like the most logical thing to occur in the beginning, it's just guesses, no evidence.

Today, my friend told me he changed his religion, because it was Easter he attended church service and he just learned that God made everything in seven days, but he believes that God didn't make it all, he made the big bang happen and all of the rest occurred on its own.

I've seen it a few times in other places too, so... why keep guessing? Why not just wait until there is evidence?

Sure, I find it easy to believe in a god that made the world, but I don't believe it in the way I would want to believe it because I know that if I make it up, without any reasonable evidence, I would just be guessing.

So why? If you have your own idea of how God made the world why do you believe this?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Simply put I think its a way for some people to quickly settle things. Not all religions are like that though, yet nevertheless, some find a full unsubstantiated conclusion is much more preferable and comforting than dealing with an established yet partial foundation in the quest of knowledge and understanding to which in the overall scheme of things, they may never get a chance to realize all of the mystery during a lifetime.

The Sum of Awe said:
Why not just wait until there is evidence?
Because people generally feel that there's a time constraint; one must make up one's mind before it's too late. If whatever evidence a person feels is "conclusive" enough to justify a particular belief (which may be different for different people, as different people have different standards for what they are willing to accept as "conclusive evidence") is not brought to light before it's too late, then if that person has the wrong belief (which may include that person having no belief,) then that person may be in trouble with whichever deity wants the person to have faith about certain things.

Personally I accept the Bible as conclusive evidence, so I believe what the Bible says about creation; God spoke, it happened.

Cricket

I don't personally believe the Bible to be literal. I believe value can be gleaned from it without ascribing absolute truth to it.

As for the rest? I don't know. Where I am in my own journey is that...if it brings comfort, who cares? Some idea of a God makes sense to me, though I can't define it just yet, and I'm working toward greater awareness of life and awareness of self to understand what it means TO ME.

The concept of a God is something that brings me comfort right now, in a time of bereavement, as well as a humility and feeling of connectedness that inspires me to be and do better. It might all be a lie, something that I realize is absolutely a possibility, but...who cares? It is bringing more good than bad to my life right now, so I welcome it. If it were doing harm to my personal relationships, family members or my mental health, I would hopefully challenge myself with some scrutiny to discern what matters.

Don't know if that made sense. My kids have seriously kept me awake for going on 3 nights now. *yawn*