• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are Incels such hateful people ?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I disagree with your last statement about objectivity it's the other way around people who believe that there is not any truth and that everything is subjective would have a hard time functioning in the world because subjectivity breeds confusion and probably mental illness.

And this is a subjective statement you've made. So probably not true then.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
But if I believe something to be objective then it goes from subjective to objective.

No because you still use the word belief.
Making it subjective and personal experience based. There is nothing wrong with subjectively experiencing the world. It's the only way we can really. Objectively doing or interacting with anything would literally make us have to be beside ourselves ie not us. You'd have to lose every ounce of personal life experience, and personality. And even the sciences don't do this.

Massimo2002

No because you still use the word belief.
Making it subjective and personal experience based. There is nothing wrong with subjectively experiencing the world. It's the only way we can really. Objectively doing or interacting with anything would literally make us have to be beside ourselves ie not us. You'd have to lose every ounce of personal life experience, and personality. And even the sciences don't do this.
Well hopefully one day there will be a totally objective human without any emotions or subjective opinions whatsoever.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Ah, I see. Thanks for further clarifying.

Has there been any advantages at all for men with the onset of online dating, generally speaking?

1)It made dating easier to homosexual men.
2)Heterosexual shy men have an easier time flirting online.
3)Handsome and/or rich men have access to more women.

I have also heard that this whole thing is much more of a problem in the USA than in Brazil, for example. Can't confirm though.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
So, this could be the case with the incels, who might see a world of wonder and infinite pleasure at their fingertips, but somehow, it's still out of their reach, which makes them frustrated and bitter.

The group is diverse enough that multiple different explanations will fit. It includes both the shy teenager with low self-steem suffering from social anxiety disorder and the ultra-conservative broke dude that can't find a virgin wife willing to be his maid.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I disagree with your last statement about objectivity it's the other way around people who believe that there is not any truth and that everything is subjective would have a hard time functioning in the world because subjectivity breeds confusion and probably mental illness.

*Shrugs*

Dunno what to tell you, mate. I have very few dramas in terms of 'confusion and mental illness'.
Subjectivity matches pretty neatly with what I see in the world. Objective truth, not so much.

Massimo2002

*Shrugs*

Dunno what to tell you, mate. I have very few dramas in terms of 'confusion and mental illness'.
Subjectivity matches pretty neatly with what I see in the world. Objective truth, not so much.
I didn't say that everyone who is a sbjectivist is mentally ill but all lot of delusional mentally ill people are sujectivists.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I didn't say that everyone who is a sbjectivist is mentally ill but all lot of delusional mentally ill people are sujectivists.

I think you're just wildly speculating there. I asked my wife about it, she found it a pretty surprising pov.

(She works in forensic mental health)

She wanted to know whether you were talking about organic mental illness or personality disorders. Also mentioned we have major issues amongst refugee populations to Australia who overwhelmingly believe in an objective truth and a creator. They aren't mentally ill due to this belief, but due to traumatic histories.

Massimo2002

I think you're just wildly speculating there. I asked my wife about it, she found it a pretty surprising pov.

(She works in forensic mental health)

She wanted to know whether you were talking about organic mental illness or personality disorders. Also mentioned we have major issues amongst refugee populations to Australia who overwhelmingly believe in an objective truth and a creator. They aren't mentally ill due to this belief, but due to traumatic histories.
I am talking more about organic mental disorders but I guess personality disorders apply too. And the refugees problem sounds more like a political gripe.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I mean that your comment about refugees sounds more political than about anything to do with mental health.

That's a pretty ignorant thing to say.
I know you don't know me very well, even in an online sense, but what POSSIBLE reason do you have to suggest that, apart from your own bias?

Massimo2002

That's a pretty ignorant thing to say.
I know you don't know me very well, even in an online sense, but what POSSIBLE reason do you have to suggest that, apart from your own bias?
What bias do I have ? And how is it an ignorant thing to say ? Refugees are a political issue I mean yes you can help them with mental health but I still think that they are more of a political topic than a mental health issues topic.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
What bias do I have ? And how is it an ignorant thing to say ? Refugees are a political issue I mean yes you can help them with mental health but I still think that they are more of a political topic than a mental health issues topic.

We all have biases, mate, but to get from where our discussion was to 'its a political issue' is some sort of leap.

So...refugees are a political issue, yes. But they are (obviously I would have thought) not ONLY a political issue. The very reason people are refugees is that they have faced trauma, displacement and hardship in their lives.

I've grown up in a society where I can get healthcare, education and a relative environment of safety. Many of these people have come from environments of war, poverty, and distress. These things impact on their mental and physical health (in general terms).

My wife has spent her entire professional life caring for and dealing with people with mental health, and since moving into forensic roles many years ago, more specifically people who have come into contact with our legal system. She has almost no interest in the politics involved, apart from a strong opinion that mental health services are underfunded.

However, if your response to me suggesting that refugees have high incidents of mental health issues is some sort of political comment, I don't know what to tell you other than to stop and think before commenting.

Reducing refugees to political capital is something politicians do. We don't all need to be so incapable of walking and chewing gum at the same time.