• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Why Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Religious People?"

This study claims that atheists aren't smarter per se. Rather, religious people tend to choose the intuitive answer over the logical one when given a choice between the two.

Another study quoted in the above linked study has shown that training religious people in exercises that strengthen analytical thinking also led to a reduction in dogmatism.

I found these two studies particularly interesting as an Orthodox Jew where Talmud study is highly emphasized.

Yeah, I saw that study, I even made a reference to it in my OP. Thanks for posting it, I am glad at least a few people looked into it a bit.

Cooky

Veteran Member
So you didn't like the journal article. What about the actual studies themselves? You do realize that a press release is not the actual research itself?

While I have no interest in comparing or sharing facts, I would like to point out the obvious -- that people who struggle in life, may have more use for religion than someone who struggles less.

Think about it. It's really very simple.

Atheism simply means to not have religious beliefs... It's not a 'group', it's a definition.

So you just generalized all atheists as "to not have religious beliefs", but I don't think that is true. I have met atheists with religious beliefs, those beliefs just didn't include a belief in God.

Cooky

Veteran Member
So you just generalized all atheists as "to not have religious beliefs", but I don't think that is true. I have met atheists with religious beliefs, those beliefs just didn't include a belief in God.

Oh really? Name a religious belief that doesn't include God, gods or a Creator.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I'll just consider this another example of a Religious community ignoring well-founded evidence simply because they don't like what it says.

I see a statistic, with several potential hypothesis on reasoning... Again, most likely the reason why religious communities appeal to less intelligent people is likely tied to their heightened struggles in life. Which is fine... They're welcomed with open arms in my Church, just like the blind, and the handicapped.

...Anyone who needs faith in God is welcome to pursue it.

Are you familiar with Occam's razor..?

I see a statistic, with several potential hypothesis on reasoning... Again, most likely the reason why religious communities appeal to less intelligent people is likely tied to their heightened struggles in life. Which is fine... They're welcomed with open arms in my Church, just like the blind, and the handicapped.

...Anyone who needs faith in God is welcome to pursue it.

Are you familiar with Occam's razor..?

We are not talking about just one statistic, but 63 studies.

http://emilkirkegaard.dk/en/wp-cont...a-Analysis-and-Some-Proposed-Explanations.pdf

Cooky

Veteran Member

Yes, 63 studies that show all kinds of different possibilities... Again, these "proposed explanations" are just totally overcomplicating things.

The simplest answer tends to be the best answer (Occam's Razor). And that answer is that those who are less intelligent struggle more in life, and those who struggle tend to look to some higher power to help them in their struggles. I know this from my own personal experiences, as a less intelligent person. :)

Cooky

Veteran Member
Let us have our religion if we need it. And don't insult us.

Atheism doesn't *make* anyone smarter.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Actually what Occam's Razor says is, "entities should not be multiplied without necessity." So it is not just the simplest answer, it is the simplest necessary answer, which may be more complicated than just the simplest.

Agreed. And that doesn't take anything away from my argument, which is much simpler than the 63, and just as valid.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh really? Name a religious belief that doesn't include God, gods or a Creator.
I have no stake in this particular exchange, but just for academic's sake, here's six non-theist religions:
LaVay Satanism (They don't believe Satan is a real being, just a ideological concept)
Christian atheism (No, really)
There are also nontheistic Hindus
There are also nontheistic Buddhists
All Taoists as far as I'm aware
All Confucians as far as I'm aware
All Jains as far as I'm aware