• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are Abrahamic believers taught to fear God?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
The same reason I feared my Dad when I was a boy and did something wrong, he had the power to discipline me. And we are taught that God has the power to send us to hell. I am so glad I was scared into Heaven.

So fear is the only reason you have faith in Jesus? Or that you 'accept' Him? Is that what you are saying?

Man of Faith

So fear is the only reason you have faith in Jesus? Or that you 'accept' Him? Is that what you are saying?

Let's say you were in the ocean drowning and someone throws you a life vest, would you grab it? Same way I was afraid of hell, I grabbed onto the faith in Jesus that was thrown to me.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Let's say you were in the ocean drowning and someone throws you a life vest, would you grab it? Same way I was afraid of hell, I grabbed onto the faith in Jesus that was thrown to me.

Yeh...
I'm not sure that this is the best example. For instance, if someone throws you a life vest, they are saving your life selflessly. I feel very grateful to this person and perhaps form a bond with them. My feelings toward them are real, genuine. If someone says, on the other hand 'do this or I'd torture you for eternity' I do what is said because I'm afraid for myself not because I have any special loving regard for the bully. I'm acting on a dangerous threat, not anything honourable or loving. There's a huge difference.