• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why antisemitism?

benjamin

Hi

Can someone explain to me why antisemitism exists. Why are the jews hated?

I had a discussion with a antisemite. He alleges that Christ was not a Jew.

I read John 4:9 and it crearly states that Christ was a Jew.

Can someone explain it to me or maybe refer me to a site in which I can find more information.

I know that this people is motivated by hate, not reason. that's why I want to find the answer.

Thanks.:jiggy:

No*s

Captain Obvious
Hi Benjamin, you should go introduce yourself in the introductions forum so we can greet you properly :). Until that time, welcome aboard.

Your question is a difficult one. There are several factors.

First, we have the conflicts between Judaism and the Roman Empire. Rome took it over, because they felt that the Jews in the area were disturbing the peace, and Rome had a tendency to quell that sort of thing. Judea, though, was Rome's province that was most prone to rebellion. The Jews came to hate Rome because they oppressed them, and the Roman people came to hate the Jews because they were rebellious.

When Christianity emerged it was persecuted and ostracized by the Jews, and they would use the Roman Empire to attack it. This situation created a lasting enmity between the two faiths that would persist. This became combined with the preceding when Christianity grew and became a predominantly Gentile religion. The long-standing dislike of Jews by the Romans simply found a religious outlet at that time. It was already cultural.

Now, with Christianity in power it began to persecute the Jews. This deepened animosity on both sides, and it continues to do so today. We come, in the end, to things like Pogroms and the Holocaust among the Gentiles. The antipathy was thus cultural and then found a religious voice. It simply got ugly, and is one of the most shameful marks on Christianity's history.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Stupid is as stupid does, Benjamin. Most bigots don't even realize that they are so afflicted.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
No*s said:
Hi Benjamin, you should go introduce yourself in the introductions forum so we can greet you properly :). Until that time, welcome aboard.

Your question is a difficult one. There are several factors.

First, we have the conflicts between Judaism and the Roman Empire. Rome took it over, because they felt that the Jews in the area were disturbing the peace, and Rome had a tendency to quell that sort of thing. Judea, though, was Rome's province that was most prone to rebellion. The Jews came to hate Rome because they oppressed them, and the Roman people came to hate the Jews because they were rebellious.

When Christianity emerged it was persecuted and ostracized by the Jews, and they would use the Roman Empire to attack it. This situation created a lasting enmity between the two faiths that would persist. This became combined with the preceding when Christianity grew and became a predominantly Gentile religion. The long-standing dislike of Jews by the Romans simply found a religious outlet at that time. It was already cultural.

Now, with Christianity in power it began to persecute the Jews. This deepened animosity on both sides, and it continues to do so today. We come, in the end, to things like Pogroms and the Holocaust among the Gentiles. The antipathy was thus cultural and then found a religious voice. It simply got ugly, and is one of the most shameful marks on Christianity's history.
Thanks for that No*s, I never knew, and always wondered!:)

No*s

Captain Obvious
benjamin said:
Thanks No s. I really appreciate

You're welcome.

The sad thing is that this is a perfect examle of hate breeds hate. The mutual hatred of Romans and Jews perpetuated itself. Then the Jews attacked Christians (we were heretics in their eyes), who in turn hated the Jews. This in its turn bred itself over centuries and made monsters. It's just a nasty cycle :(.

Prima

Another thing....

Most modern antisemetics are convinced that the Jews are responsible for killing Christ.

This is both true and untrue.

While it's true that the Jewish people, when asking to have Christ put to death, said "his blood be upon us and upon our children" it's ALSO true that Christ himself said (can't remember the exact words) that no one killed him, he chose to die. So a lot of modern Christian antisemetics pay attention to the first bit and ignore the second.

Also, I assume you also have Hitler in mind. In that case, because of what No*s explained, the Jews were the perfect scapegoat, because they were already separated from German society (not just in Germany, but also elsewhere)

standing_on_one_foot

Hmm...I'm a little curious as to how true the heretics, Jews persecuting Christians thing was. It's perfectly possible, but would you mind directing me to the info on that, No*s? I haven't heard that much about it (either because people don't want to sound anti-semitic or it was exagerated or something), and I'd like to know.

benjamin

Hi

It get's sometimes hilarious how people can be so silly, and stupid.

I just had a chat with an antisemite and he said that the Jews constitute the Antichrist??

These peoples have all the answers, the problem is that they don't have a clue Why Chrsit came to this earth. They regard as some figure of vengance to bring judgement on the Jews, but never talk about his teachings about loving your enemy (The Jews).

How silly this people can be.:jiggy: :biglaugh:

No*s

Captain Obvious
standing_on_one_foot said:
Hmm...I'm a little curious as to how true the heretics, Jews persecuting Christians thing was. It's perfectly possible, but would you mind directing me to the info on that, No*s? I haven't heard that much about it (either because people don't want to sound anti-semitic or it was exagerated or something), and I'd like to know.

I'll have to dig up the specific references (this isn't something I normally make a point of). Off the top of my head, I can say the NT records quite a few conflicts between Christians and the other sects of Judaism (Christianity and Judaism could still be found in the same synagogues early on). I can also reference historians such as Eusebius (James was thrown from the pinnacle of the Temple for instance).

I'll have to dig up more specific references. I didn't memorize all my references. I'll get back to you on more specifics :).

No*s

Captain Obvious
Prima said:
Another thing....

Most modern antisemetics are convinced that the Jews are responsible for killing Christ.

This is both true and untrue.

While it's true that the Jewish people, when asking to have Christ put to death, said "his blood be upon us and upon our children" it's ALSO true that Christ himself said (can't remember the exact words) that no one killed him, he chose to die. So a lot of modern Christian antisemetics pay attention to the first bit and ignore the second.

Also, I assume you also have Hitler in mind. In that case, because of what No*s explained, the Jews were the perfect scapegoat, because they were already separated from German society (not just in Germany, but also elsewhere)

That's very ancient rhetoric actually. I can't say when it first appeared, but sadly, Christians have accused the Jews of killing Christ for a loooong time :(

Prima

It's ancient, yes, I didn't say it wasn't. But that's the reason most modern antisemetics give, whereas less modern ones may have given a different reason.

And that is probably what he's referring to about Jews being the Antichrist.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Prima said:
It's ancient, yes, I didn't say it wasn't. But that's the reason most modern antisemetics give, whereas less modern ones may have given a different reason.

And that is probably what he's referring to about Jews being the Antichrist.

I understand. Most people who want to call Jews the Antichrist today have very little to do with classical Christianity anyway. I have a strong reaction against their rhetoric and their theology.

M

Majikthise

Even when I was a christian I never thought of jewish people as a whole as responsible for the death of christ. I always beleived he was sent by god for that purpose(dying for our sins). I guess I just never made the connection.
Some just hate for the sake of hating.

No*s

Captain Obvious
MT, that is very true. Some people will create a reason to hate someone even if they don't have a reason. It is truly disturbing :(

jewscout

Religious Zionist
benjamin said:
I just had a chat with an antisemite and he said that the Jews constitute the Antichrist??
well actually if you take antichrist to mean "before christ", as in antebellum, the period before the American Civil War, then in that case it holds some validity, however fleeting.

standing_on_one_foot said:
check out Under Cresent and Cross by Mark Cohen. It has some great stuff on the treatment of Jews in both Christian Europe and the Muslim Middle East during the Middle Ages and has alot of info on the origins and nature of antisemitism in both regions. Cohen talks about how some of early Christian antisemitism comes from laws passed against christians and not jews in the Roman Empire before constantine.
Also as a side note, it shows how the yellow star of holocaust infamy dates back to the 10th century and papal decrees used to ostersize the jewish population.
It's a pretty good work for people w/ or w/o historical academic backgrounds!:jiggy:
yea history!