• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's infallible? Who's not?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Everyone, including scientists and pagans have blind faith. Some choose to cast aspersions on the beliefs of others and fail to see the same issues in their own.

Solon said:
To which prophet do you refer, Young, Smith or Pratt, you LDS, you have to have a lot of blind faith methinks.

S

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NetDoc said:
Everyone, including scientists and pagans have blind faith. Some choose to cast aspersions on the beliefs of others and fail to see the same issues in their own.
*cowers in the corner, waiting for the ceiling to cave in*

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
NetDoc said:
Where does this doctrine come from? Certainly not the Scriptures. Paul contended that he was THE MOST SINFUL PERSON on the face of the earth,
I answered this already in the previous post.

and I cannot ever remember him saying that his writings would not contain error.
It doesn't. I'm catholic remember. :D

Only Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit are perfect. EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE ELSE has "issues".
Amen ND. But as I have told you before. There is ALWAYS the human factor that is part of the equation. In your case it's YOU.

~Victor

Scuba Pete

Victor said:
There is ALWAYS the human factor that is part of the equation. In your case it's YOU.
Victor,

First off: Thanks for the slam.

Unfortunately, I am not "perfect" like yourself. I don't have your "perfect" religion either as well as your "perfect" beliefs.

That being said, I rely on a PERFECT God, his PERFECT son, and his PERFECT Spirit who guides me away from your human version of "perfection".

BTW, it's great that you haven't told me where you got the "perfection doctrine" from.

Quiddity

NetDoc said:
Victor,

First off: Thanks for the slam.
I'm sorry you took it that way. I was totally mellow in my post.

NetDoc said:
Unfortunately, I am not "perfect" like yourself. I don't have your "perfect" religion either as well as your "perfect" beliefs.
I'm not perfect by any means...;) and that's the point. :D
Christ is perfect, so I seeked for that.

NetDoc said:
That being said, I rely on a PERFECT God, his PERFECT son, and his PERFECT Spirit who guides me away from your human version of "perfection".

Do what strikes you fancy ND. It is rather obvious that we are both sinners and imperfect. God either works through everybody in hopes that they GET IT RIGHT or He works thru everybody and gives them a pool of truth [The Church] thru which they can correct themselves.

NetDoc said:
BTW, it's great that you haven't told me where you got the "perfection doctrine" from.
Perfection doctrine?

``Victor

Scuba Pete

Paul accepted the fact that he was NOT like God.

But there is no basis for accepting that the scriptures are perfect: just inspired.

Quiddity

NetDoc said:
Paul accepted the fact that he was NOT like God.

But there is no basis for accepting that the scriptures are perfect: just inspired.
So the scriptures can be imperfect and inspired? I'm confused as to what you mean by that. :confused:

~Victor

nutshell

I'm with Victor on this. Man certainly is imperfect, but when he is recording scripture he is acting on behalf of God, resulting in perfection. At times like this, man is but a tool in a perfect God's hands.

Quiddity

nutshell said:
I'm with Victor on this. Man certainly is imperfect, but when he is recording scripture he is acting on behalf of God, resulting in perfection. At times like this, man is but a tool in a perfect God's hands.
I wonder what those people that don't like to submit to other men would do if they were alive in the times of Paul, Peter, etc.?

"You can't tell me what to do Paul! You're just a man." :149:

``Victor

Scuba Pete

OK, where does it say that IN the scriptures? Trot it out so we can see where the Scriptures claim to be perfect. That is a man made doctrine and not of God. The Scriptures, from Genesis until Revelations, were written by MEN and are so filled with error.

God is able to work through ALL of our imperfections, including those introduced by the apostles. He is JUST that powerful.

nutshell said:

Quiddity

NetDoc said:
OK, where does it say that IN the scriptures? Trot it out so we can see where the Scriptures claim to be perfect. That is a man made doctrine and not of God. The Scriptures, from Genesis until Revelations, were written by MEN and are so filled with error.
I have a hard time believing that you hold to this..:D
The Bible is filled with error? That's interesting. How do you determine error from non-error? The HS, right?
Let see if I got this right.
A book filled with errors by MEN is corrected by the believer because he's led by the HS?
Is that right?

NetDoc said:
God is able to work through ALL of our imperfections, including those introduced by the apostles. He is JUST that powerful.
One would think that the errors of the apostles were excluded from what was written. But I guess we differ in that area.

``Victor

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Solon said:
To which prophet do you refer, Young, Smith or Pratt, you LDS, you have to have a lot of blind faith methinks.
The quote is referring to all LDS prophets, past, present and future. (Pratt, incidentally, was not a prophet.) Since LDS prophets aren't even supposed to be fallible, your remark makes no sense. Anyone who believes in a Higher Power would need to accept certain things on faith. In that regard, we LDS are no different from any other believers in God. I personally don't see faith as something to be ashamed of. Sorry, but when people throw that particular insult my way, I just consider the source.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I'm with ND on this. Even The story of creation has 2 versions in Genesis. The story of the birth of Jesus. One Apostle says it took place in an inn, another a barn, because there was no room at the in. God is perfect, man is not. Inspired, ok, but that does not mean that a person became a robot, with God pushing the buttons. Look up the word inspired.

Scuba Pete

Victor said:
I have a hard time believing that you hold to this..:D
While I have a hard believing that you hold to something not supported by scripture!
Victor said:
One would think that the errors of the apostles were excluded from what was written. But I guess we differ in that area.
You have as of yet to provide the BASIS of your belief!

I know you discount the power of the Holy Spirit, but then you also discount God's power in our lives when you do!

Who do the scriptures say our Counselor is?

mr.guy

crapsack
jgallandt said:
I'm with ND on this. Even The story of creation has 2 versions in Genesis. The story of the birth of Jesus. One Apostle says it took place in an inn, another a barn, because there was no room at the in. God is perfect, man is not. Inspired, ok, but that does not mean that a person became a robot, with God pushing the buttons. Look up the word inspired.
Maybe i went a little heavy on the weed but...if you read the above quote with some funk and cool cat invocation, it comes out really beatnik! Frubals for making me giggle.

Look up.
The Word.
Inspired!

*snaps fingers a ton*

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
mr.guy said:
Maybe i went a little heavy on the weed but...if you read the above quote with some funk and cool cat invocation, it comes out really beatnik! Frubals for making me giggle.

Look up.
The Word.
Inspired!

*snaps fingers a ton*
We got Peter on the sax, Paul on the bass, James on drums.... :rolleyes: