• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Started the "God is Gay" thread?

Milton Platt

I did see it pop up, and ignored it because I thought it was so ridiculous, and I did not wish to be caught in that blast. I did see it as deeply offensive, but so is the use of Drones in warfare.

I don't know if it scrolled off the page or if it got um "Moderated".

There! I said my piece. I still feel that God does not need me defending him.

If there was a god, who would he/she have sex with???

Jane.Doe

I heard that Mormons believe He had actual sex with Mary.
Completely false.
I'm not opposed to non-Jews being LDS. When the rubber meets the road they are very good people -- that's what matters. But I do find many of their doctrines strange, most of all their idea that God has a literal body (including sex organs) and all the doctrines that spring from that.
All Christians believe Christ was/is God and had/has a physical body. So it's not remotely as strange as some people make it out to be.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Completely false.

All Christians believe Christ was/is God and had/has a physical body. So it's not remotely as strange as some people make it out to be.
Orthodox Christianity teaches Trinitarianism. Jesus is only God the Son, and he ONLY has a body because he became incarnate. God the Father, in this religion, has no body, indeed no form of any kind. In this respect, their God the Father is like God in Judaism.

Jane.Doe

Orthodox Christianity teaches Trinitarianism. Jesus is only God the Son, and he ONLY has a body because he became incarnate. God the Father, in this religion, has no body, indeed no form of any kind. In this respect, their God the Father is like God in Judaism.
Clarifying my post / intention--
You said "But I do find many of their doctrines strange, most of all their idea that God has a literal body " So that was what I was clarifying. Trinitarians Christians, like LDS do indeed believe God can have a body (pointing straight at Christ here). There is disagreement over whether or not the Father has body, but not over whether or not it's possible for God to have a body.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I heard that Mormons believe He had actual sex with Mary. So, maybe it is not so ridiculous, after all...if we assume that religious beliefs are immune from being ridiculous, for some reason.
Well, once again, you're wrong, viole. Believing every myth you hear about Mormonism is kind of starting to be a habit with you. We believe that Mary, Jesus' mother, was a virgin both when her Son was conceived and when He was born. This would not have been the case had she had sex with anyone, including God. :rolleyes:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I'm not opposed to non-Jews being LDS. When the rubber meets the road they are very good people -- that's what matters. But I do find many of their doctrines strange, most of all their idea that God has a literal body (including sex organs) and all the doctrines that spring from that.
Well, consider the fact that the vast, vast majority of Christians believe that Jesus Christ is God and that He had and was resurrected with a literal body. I realize that you're Jewish and don't believe that but, for the sake of argument, is there any reason why the God the Father would not have a body if His Son did and was said in the New Testament to be "the express image of [the Father's] person"?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Well, once again, you're wrong, viole. Believing every myth you hear about Mormonism is kind of starting to be a habit with you. We believe that Mary, Jesus' mother, was a virgin both when her Son was conceived and when He was born. This would not have been the case had she had sex with anyone, including God. :rolleyes:

Who can say. God likes to be very immaterial.

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Completely false.

I like the was/is God. Can the property of being God expire? :)

Ciao

- viole

Jane.Doe

Ciao

- viole
viole, I respect that you're not LDS and don't share LDS views. I respect that 100%. What's not cool is when someone tells false information of what another person believes.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

Ciao

- viole
If the question is, "Did God have sex with Mary in order to impregnate her?" then the answer may very well be, "Who can say. God likes to be very immaterial." If the question is, "Do Mormons believe God had sex with Mary in order to impregnate her?" then the answer is, "No, they do not." Get it?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
If the question is, "Did God have sex with Mary in order to impregnate her?" then the answer may very well be, "Who can say. God likes to be very immaterial." If the question is, "Do Mormons believe God had sex with Mary in order to impregnate her?" then the answer is, "No, they do not." Get it?

Ok. Pity though. That would have defused the OP from the start instead of leaving us with the doubt :)

Ciao

- viole

IndigoChild5559

Clarifying my post / intention--
You said "But I do find many of their doctrines strange, most of all their idea that God has a literal body " So that was what I was clarifying. Trinitarians Christians, like LDS do indeed believe God can have a body (pointing straight at Christ here). There is disagreement over whether or not the Father has body, but not over whether or not it's possible for God to have a body.
To be perfectly honest, I have problems with the Christian idea of the incarnation as well. I'm just saying that at least they have the remnant of a formless God the Father.

IndigoChild5559

Well, consider the fact that the vast, vast majority of Christians believe that Jesus Christ is God and that He had and was resurrected with a literal body. I realize that you're Jewish and don't believe that but, for the sake of argument, is there any reason why the God the Father would not have a body if His Son did and was said in the New Testament to be "the express image of [the Father's] person"?
You are right that as a Jew I have problemts with the Christian notion of the incarnation.

Nevertheless, Christians believe that Jesus has a body only because he is incarnated. The Father was never incarnated and thus is still without form in Christianity. You'll have to ask Christians what "the express image" means, but I can guarantee they won't say it means a physical similarity.

As I said in my opening remarks, God was never created or born, nor will he die, thus he has no need of procreation. It follows that he has no sexual organs or gender.

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
viole, I respect that you're not LDS and don't share LDS views. I respect that 100%. What's not cool is when someone tells false information of what another person believes.

True, I am not LSD. So, let's assume that Mary was a virgin at all time. (Which is, from my vantage point, even weirder than gods having intercourse with her).

So, you think that Mary was still virgin after giving birth to Jesus? Did she have C-section? Or did Jesus went through her using quantum tunneling?

Ciao

- viole

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Nevertheless, Christians believe that Jesus has a body only because he is incarnated. The Father was never incarnated and thus is still without form in Christianity. You'll have to ask Christians what "the express image" means, but I can guarantee they won't say it means a physical similarity.
Of course they'll say it has nothing to do with a physical similarity, which in my opinion is preposterous. An image is the representation of someone or something's physical appearance. Whenever anyone uses the word "image" in a sentence, that's how they use it. I can't think of a single exception (aside from its use in the Bible, where for some reason an entirely new definition of the word emerges). As far as the Father never having been incarnated, I don't know that we can say that with any degree of certainty. We have no account of His incarnation but I wouldn't automatically dismiss the idea as false. The Bible, after all, starts with "the beginning." If it was "in the beginning" when God created the earth, and if He has always existed, what was He doing before the clock started ticking, so to speak?

As I said in my opening remarks, God was never created or born, nor will he die, thus he has no need of procreation. It follows that he has no sexual organs or gender.
Yes, I understand your position, and I have no desire to try to change it. I am, however, going to ask a question that may be more pertinent to other Christians, Christians who believe that God has no form. If Jesus truly was a human being, then he must have had 46 chromosomes, one strand of 23 which He got from His mother and another strand of 23 which He got from His Father. As to how His conception took place, the Bible doesn't really tell us. But I'm wondering where the human being known as Jesus got his second strand of chromosomes. Did He get them from a spirit?

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
True, I am not LSD.
Yeah, but I'm seriously starting to think you might be on it.
viole said:
So, you think that Mary was still virgin after giving birth to Jesus? Did she have C-section? Or did Jesus went through her using quantum tunneling?
Quantum tunneling? Could you possibly have asked a more juvenile question? Whatever the answer is to your question, why don't you ask it of some of the world's other 2 billion Christians? They also believe in Mary's virginity. Heck, the Catholics believe that she remained a virgin throughout her married life. For the life of me, I can't figure out why she would have been.

Last edited: