• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is to decide morality?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
To clarify: I think that if morality is a social construct, then it more or less follows that morality will be established by most or all of the means used to resolve political issues, such as propaganda, proselytizing, peer pressure, appeals to authority, and so forth.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think that might depend on what you're saying is right or wrong. It seems to me that some morality is more established in reason than other morality.

Khale

orichalcum said:
Yes, but can you say one thing is wrong, when I say it's right?
Yes, I can. Just because you think it is right doesn't make it any less wrong for me. There is no absolute morality, nor will there ever be.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The only person who decides what is moral or immoral is the individual. Not society, even though many sociologist will claim this.

niceguy

Luke Wolf said:
The only person who decides what is moral or immoral is the individual. Not society, even though many sociologist will claim this.
I was going to say something like this but you beet me to it.

Fat Old Sun

All right, enough of this crap. To avoid any further confusion, I will decide what is right and wrong.

Anyone who violates the rules will be obligated to give me 10% of their gross income for one year, and one night with their wife, girlfriend, or daughter if of legal age, should I deem it necessary to compensate for the offense commited. :D

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
There are no such things as right or wrong, according to buddhism....I think....:)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
It depends entirely on your 'frame of reference'; morality, IMO, is tied to Culture; Culture is the learning, by experience, over a long time of what is adaptive, and what is maladaptive.

So basically, right and wrong are defined by moral values - which are based on Culture.:)

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
So Luke Wolf,

You really don't see Hitler as an evil person? To me he was the personification of evil.

Scott1

pah said:
By the standards of his society, yeah
:eek:

I'm not a huge fan of moral relativism, so forgive my disgust with this statement....

Without an acknowledgement of concrete acts that are always wrong (evil/morally wrong) humanity will continue to perform this "dance" of opinions and options, where nothing is right or wrong.

Happy dancing;)
Scott

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Luke Wolf said:
I don't think it was right for Hitler to perform mass genocide on the Jews, but it was right in his eyes, and the eyes of his followers.

A soldier who follows an order when he knows the order to be immoral, becomes guilty of immorality himself. Hitler was a sick psychotic - and except for a very few, most went along with his Ideas; he had, apparently, such a hypnotic effect on the crowds - that they got 'swept up' with what he told them.

I am not excusing Hitler - I believe he was one of the most evil men who have lived - but I believe his followers were just as guilty as he.:(

Pah

Uber all member
SOGFPP said:
:eek:

I'm not a huge fan of moral relativism, so forgive my disgust with this statement....

Without an acknowledgement of concrete acts that are always wrong (evil/morally wrong) humanity will continue to perform this "dance" of opinions and options, where nothing is right or wrong.

Happy dancing;)
Scott
I'm not a fan of moral relativism either - I kinda like provisional morality as introduced by Michael Shermer where the degree of anything is measured by the mathmatical system of Fuzzy Logic. This is where, if you are measuring evil it would be on a scale of 0.0 to 1.0. Since I believe, as Shermer does, that there is absolutely no absolutes, the extreme ends of the scale would never be reached. It puts an onus on finding and understanding that small fraction of good in evil. That can be a lot of work and I understand why it would not even be attempted.

Pure evil is a myth, as Shemer says, for that eliminates free will.

And he says "Ethical theorists distinguish between descriptive ethical relativism which pass no jugdment on whether any of the numerous relaive ethical theories are valid or not; and normative ethical relativism, which claims that each ethical theory, while relative to in value compared to others, is absolutely valid for the culture in which it is practised." So, when speaking of relative morality, it is important to understand which is which.

I've also been thinking, prompted by your post, what would be "always wrong". I've been over some of the "biggies" in that area and I can find exceptons to all of them

I'm not dancing because I hear no music.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I agree Pah...

There are limits to everthing... even to evil.

Unfortunately, I can see no system of values that would contend that Hitler's death camps were anything but evil in nature. That the Nazis did their best to cover them up only clarifies their guilt in my eyes.

That is until you meet up with "moral relativism". I find it so corrupt that it vindicates even Hitler. Enough said.