• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who designed the designer?

Vishvavajra

I consider myself a better Christian now as a non-Christian. The label "Christians" has the baggage of ancient and outdated fundamentalism and completely misses the point, in my opinion.
People have attached so much importance to the label that it's become almost a form of idolatry.

Funny thing is, few if any of the authors of the Christian scriptures thought of themselves as "Christians," at least not in the way that modern people understand the word. Pretty much none of what they say should be interpreted in terms of Christianity's being its own separate religion and culture, which happened later.

For example, when Pauls says that in Christ there is no Jew or Gentile, a lot of folks today think not saying that as long as you're a Christian your background doesn't matter. But that's not it at all. Christians at that time were still Jews, remember, even the converts. He's saying that, given the transcendent nature of Christ in all of us, all cultural and religious divisions are just conventional fictions. A more pertinent modern rendering would be "In Christ there is no Christian or non-Christian." But a lot of people aren't going to want to hear that.