• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White, Black, Latino, Asian...?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I would like you to look at the following five images and tell me what race (you know what I mean you prankster!) you perceive the person on each of them to be when you look at it, also tell me where you are from. I will explain everything at the end of this post, so bear with me.

Image 1:
2044629-raul-gazolla-brincou-que-ficou-praticame-624x600-3.jpg

Image 2:
311695.jpg

Image 3:
fiuk.jpg

Image 4:
image-w856.jpg

Image 5:
567925184a6d014f4533a1c2e36496a5.jpg

Typed down the answers already? Great!
Now you can read this:
All of them are famous actors here in Brazil and we perceive them all as white.
But I am curious how you all perceive them. I have heard that people from other countries perceive what it means to be 'white' quite differently, so I would like to see it in practice.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I would like you to look at the following five images and tell me what race (you know what I mean you prankster!) you perceive the person on each of them to be when you look at it, also tell me where you are from. I will explain everything at the end of this post, so bear with me.

Image 1:

Image 2:
311695.jpg

Image 3:
fiuk.jpg

Image 4:
image-w856.jpg

Image 5:

Now you can read this:
But I am curious how you all perceive them. I have heard that people from other countries perceive what it means to be 'white' quite differently, so I would like to see it in practice.
Without looking at the pictures, I'll say "HUMAN RACE"

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Image 1:

Image 2:
311695.jpg

Image 3:
fiuk.jpg

Image 4:
image-w856.jpg

Image 5:

Now you can read this:

They all look like people to me

Heyo

Veteran Member

Image 1:

Image 2:
311695.jpg

Image 3:
fiuk.jpg

Image 4:
image-w856.jpg

Image 5:

Now you can read this:
I'd say they are all at least in part Caucasian. The nose of #1 hints at African influence.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Race is an artificial construct.

They all looked generally 'white' to me, but I tend not to worry too much about what race a person is. If they told me they were another race, I would believe them.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I guess it is well known that all Mediterranean peoples, Spanish, Portuguese, Greeks and Italians call themselves and consider each other as whites. And even beyond the ocean, so even Salma Hayek or Jennifer Lopez.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
"Black" and "white" are made up racial caste terms from the US and don't make much sense outside of that. Hell, I'm American and reject them. So I don't think of people who aren't even from the US as "white" or "black" as they have their own, actual ethnicities most of the time.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I guess it is well known that all Mediterranean peoples, Spanish, Portuguese, Greeks and Italians call themselves and consider each other as whites. And even beyond the ocean, so even Salma Hayek or Jennifer Lopez.
Since when do Europeans call themselves "white"? You have your own ethnicities. And no one thinks of Lopez or Hayek as white in the US, and I highly doubt they view themselves that way, either.

Erebus

I looked through them and thought of them all as white. I'm from England.

Viker

Häxan

Image 1:

Image 2:
311695.jpg

Image 3:
fiuk.jpg

Image 4:
image-w856.jpg

Image 5:

Now you can read this:
All of them appear to me as being caucasian and having European ancestry. I'm from the US.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member

Without looking at the spoiler, I quickly perceived each man as white. I am from the US, particularly Texas. Although I am from there, my definition of white is vast. Besides Europeans and certain Caucasian ethnicities, I also include Iranic peoples and Arabs within my definition. Other Americans would reject my definition because to them, white means people who look like they’re from Germanic countries such as England and Norway. For that reason, they don’t perceive Assyrians, for example, as white, but I do. In response, I think, many Arabs and Iranians in America say they are not white.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

Image 1:

Image 2:
311695.jpg

Image 3:
fiuk.jpg

Image 4:
image-w856.jpg

Image 5:

Now you can read this:

I looked at 3,I concluded that they look like male humans,I’m pink although going brown.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
1: Latino or Spanish (just because his face reminds me of Antonio Banderas)
2: Latino
3: Unsure
4: Latino or Polynesian
5: Latino (though I do believe I've seen him somewhere in something).

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
They all look "white" to me. In the census "Latino" is not seen as a race, but rather as a cultural label. Race is more of a social construct than anything else. Genetically races do not exist.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Race is more of a social construct than anything else. Genetically races do not exist.
They do. Although we don't call them that, it's local variants. There are morphological and genetical differences which can determine where your ancestors lived. Some of us even carry genes from our cousins Homo Neanderthalensis and Homo Denisova.