• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

which translation is your favorite?

which Abrahamic translation or bible do you most prefer?

• Total voters

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Just for fun look at the King james Version and look up Genesis 1:1. All other translations have this wrong.

We know from most translations that John was called up to the third heaven. Only the KJV can identify them in Genesis 1.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Jerusalem Bible or New Jerusalem Bibles are good study bibles. Written for scholars and biblical linguists.

anders

sandy whitelinger said:
Just for fun look at the King james Version and look up Genesis 1:1. All other translations have this wrong.

We know from most translations that John was called up to the third heaven. Only the KJV can identify them in Genesis 1.
Lovely contradictions. KJV Gn 1:1 "the heaven" (singular), despite the "shamayim", (plural), and then you say "the third heaven". I find no numbered heavens in Gn 1 in any version.

There are numerous possibilities for translating Gn 1:1. Which translations into which languages do you think are at fault, and in which way, and why do you think KJV is the correct one?

A

angellous_evangellous

I like the English Standard Version, translated in c 2000

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
[the heaven" (singular), despite the "shamayim", (plural)]

Anders,

Yes, while "shamayim" is a plural noun it describes a singular entity ala a "bunch" of grapes. Or another way of looking at it is that "in my fathers house (heaven) are many mansions (plural). This describes a singular place that is plural in nature. Also look up cherubim in your Hebrew dictionary and you will find a plural noun for the use of cherubim when in the text it is clear that only one cherubim is mentioned.

I leave translation from Hebrew to English to better people than I and spend my time learning proper English.

The three heavens mentioned in Genesis are Heaven (1:1), the firmament of heaven (1:6-8), and the open firmament of heaven (1:20). That John was called to the third heaven means that where he was is the "third heaven."

Linus7

I like the KJV with the Deuterocanonical Books, the NKJV, and the Douay Rheims Bible.

Some of the newer Bible versions contain translations that are either purposefully biased or inaccurate.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I have a NIV and KJV, so I guess those are my preferred translations, although I've really not had much experience with the rest.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
I like them all and prefer none. Same as religion. All of them hold the same central truth. The fun part is separating the truth from the dogma.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I really prefer to have a Bible written in the language that I speak. It helps God's will to stand out and is better for evangelism. That eliminates the KJV right off.

Consequently, since I am not fluent in the Greek, I rely on the NIV to nourish my soul.

However, I am convinced that the Spirit can reveal God's will to the open heart through any translation of the Holy Scriptures. Too often, we rely on our own abilities to understand, rather than asking the Spirit for guidance. It's amazing how far away from God's truth we can get when we allow our pride to govern our study of the scriptures. Satan is insidious, relentless and the great deceiver.

Robert

I use the "New King James" as well as the King James (1611) and the American Standard (1911).
Robert

glasgowchick

Gives Glory to God !!!
Hi Robert, I have a few translations, but I recently bought the N.A.S.V. My hubby bought the New living translation, and we have, the living translation, NKJ.

Jackie

fromthe heart

I agree with NetDoc...which ever version God can speak to you through is the best version for you...I personally like the KJV and don't find it as difficult as I'm supposed to according to some of my friends...for some reason I hear God through that version of God's Word...I think sometimes folks try to read TOO much into what is being said as if it's not accurate enough. The best thing for me is to hold the Word of God(my Bible) and pray prior to opening it and allow God to reveal Himself to me in whatever He sees as the point He'd like to make with me...LOL sometimes it's quite enlightening.:)

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
FTH said:
I think sometimes folks try to read TOO much into what is being said
Amen FTH, Amen!

Many who claim to be Christian don't work on love enough. Until you get that down, there is really no reason to move on to other areas. :D

fromthe heart

NetDoc said:
Amen FTH, Amen!

Many who claim to be Christian don't work on love enough. Until you get that down, there is really no reason to move on to other areas. :D
Amen to that my friend...smiles.:)