• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Religion Would You Stand Up For?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Yopu can practice with your hands and your lips and even with your mind ,but until Christ has your heart is is as was the relgious leaders,they had to lay down their relgious concepts and trust Christ, This is not about relgionbut relationship with almighty God
I don't know if you know what taking up your cross actually means ,but this verse is in regards to taking the shame ,guilt ,ridicule,suffering tfor being a christian that Jesus took upon himself for the sins of the world,for standing in opposition to the world standards and speaking what is contrary to popular opinion.
When a christians takes up his cross hein essence is laying down his life,his thoughts his pride,his ways,his actions,his sins and counting his life as nothing that Christ would raise him up and live through him.That is what Christians are far more than just merely having a belief,I mean where will that get you to say I believe,this or that
Luk 14:26If any [man] come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Luk 14:27And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

Luk 14:33So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.
Than you just don't really understand what he is saying.when he says, he is the way,the truth and the lifeMat 12:30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.
Mat 15:8This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with [their] lips; but their heart is far from me.

There you go again, Roli..........you're assuming what's in my heart.

Jeez, if you think you're that good, maybe I should ask you to tell me what number I'm thinking of between 1 and 100. :rolleyes:

Well Christianity teaches ,in Gen, if you really want to go back to the beginning,that the ground was cursed,the man would work hard and toil the ground with the sweat of his brow. Basically, Jesus says ,sin came into the world and all through sin will die and it is only Christ that died ,defeated death and rose from the grave that we could therefore be raised with Christ unto eternal life.
That is the age old problem ,no man wants to be told that they are sinners destined to die in their sins unless they repent and trust Christ,I mean there is so much evidence that Jesus lived ,died and rose again in ancient writings ,there is actually more manuscripts of new testament theology than any other knwon manuscripts.
But that is another thread

I should go back and count how many times you've written what has been emphasized in bold text. If so much is for another thread, why bring it up in this one?

With Jesus it won't first matter as to what you did with others as it will matter what you did with God 's sacrifice of His Son
Jesus could not be more in your face about hell,death and the grave
Luk 12:5But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

Many religions have very similar teachings of heaven,or some it maybe enlightemment, actions ,good bad,punishment, judgement etc.
But no otehr guru claimed to forgive sin by going to a cross and dying a horrific death for his people,many want you to amke a sacrifice to them with blood or fire.
But only Christ stepped from heaven and became like man and died to wash our sins away with his blood
Blood has always been a means to seal a covenant with God,the most precious commodity in the wolrd is blood, God sent his son to die once and cleanse the sin with his blood sealing the deal for all amnkind , but only to those who would accept it and for all that those who would accept him and receive him would be made free and given eternal life.

I do not accept the interpretation of Christ's crucifixion as substitionary atonement. I far more prefer the Eastern Orthodox view. I also prefer to consider Jesus' defeating death and resurrection in my studies. You have your view - and I have mine.

Not only that but he comes to live inside of every beleiver,no greater feeling of belonging than to talk with the God of the universe

You talk with him? :cover:

I'm starting to become really concerned about you, Roli. Seriously.

This was not his first message and he was'nt talking to the whole world ,many were listening but he was directing his message of Matt 5 to his disciples.Raed it in context.The only way man can truly love the way God requires is when they have the love of God is shed abroad in their heart by the Holy Ghost.
Man can attempt to love one another,but it is not God;s love that can only come by a realtionship with Jesus.
When God's heart or nature is inside you myour changed,you still have the flesh to contend with but your changed and you take on a whole new meaning of love

I don't know what you understand of the bible but Jesus says it's not by works that you can attain salvation ,think about that ,if you could why did Jesus have to come to earth and die ,I mean if you can say and do some things that will appease God somehow ,why would he subjetc his son to so much hostility and death.
The common belief and misconception out there among other faiths is that one can earn his way to heaven.
Rom 10:3For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God
Rom 3:22Even the righteousness of God [which is] by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
Gal 2:16Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,not of works, lest anyone should boast.

I define "faith" differently.........it has little to do with beliefs, but I see "faith" as being much more like "steadfast."

I beleive their are false prophets,teachers and those doing wonders
Mar 13:22 For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if [it were] possible, even the elect.

That's a cop-out if I ever saw one.

Peace,
Mystic

John Grey

After reading the first 20 pages of this thread, I just couldn't bare to continue. As such, I'll just answer the original post and be on my way...

I would stand up, and have stood up, for the rights of other spritual practices besides my own, including non-theism. I would not, however, stand up for religious institutions. I think one of the largest problems with religions today is the tendancy of religious institutions to adopt absolutist views to divide "us" from "them". Not all religious institutions devolve into that type of behavior, but more than enough have to cause me to believe that the "organization" of organized religion is at fault.

That being said, I have to admire the Rabbi's convictions and tolarance towards other religions. Seeing religious leaders like that exist in this world make me feel hopeful that we are moving in the right direction.

rebelson

I wouldn't say I really stand up for any one certain religion -- more that i debate the facts -- although i might sometimes put my own twist on them. I accept most religions as long as they don't have any ideas that go totally against the bible.

Ðanisty

I wouldn't say I really stand up for any one certain religion -- more that i debate the facts -- although i might sometimes put my own twist on them. I accept most religions as long as they don't have any ideas that go totally against the bible.
Ideas that don't go totally against the bible or ideas that don't go totally against your interpretation of the bible? I'm asking because 90% of my ideas come from the bible but I don't see it the way Christians do.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice

This isn't about whether or not you accept any religion as being right. This is about whether you would speak up, or sit quietly if someone said something about another religion you knew was wrong and inflammatory or dangerous. Like someone making a serious claim that Satanists eat babies, or that Wiccans sacrifice cats, or that Mormons dig up corpses.
What would you do?

rebelson

Ðanisty;836295 said:
Ideas that don't go totally against the bible or ideas that don't go totally against your interpretation of the bible? I'm asking because 90% of my ideas come from the bible but I don't see it the way Christians do.

I guess I would have to say my interpretation of the Bible. It just seems like some people pick and choose what to beleive and what to take literally from the Bible. I don't know if anyone interprets the Bible the same. No one I know does. Anyways...

rebelson

So, then you only stand up for your own beliefs/religion?

Isn't that what anyone does? I mean they stand up for what they beleive -- even if it is of another religion. Say you're a Mormon, and someone says that all Catholic priests molest young boys-- beleiving that isn't true, wouldn't you speak out and oppose that idea? Stand up for what you beleive -- even if it is to do with another faith? Who stands up for something they don't even beleive themselves? That would be like if you and your friend don't beleive God exists. If your friend says God don't exist would you say "no, He does"? -- even though you don't beleive in Him yourself? So really, anyone only stands up for what they beleive - not only their religion -- but only what they beleive.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Isn't that what anyone does? I mean they stand up for what they beleive -- even if it is of another religion. Say you're a Mormon, and someone says that all Catholic priests molest young boys-- beleiving that isn't true, wouldn't you speak out and oppose that idea? Stand up for what you beleive -- even if it is to do with another faith? Who stands up for something they don't even beleive themselves? That would be like if you and your friend don't beleive God exists. If your friend says God don't exist would you say "no, He does"? -- even though you don't beleive in Him yourself? So really, anyone only stands up for what they beleive - not only their religion -- but only what they beleive.

I think you missed the point. Did you read the article in the first post?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
I'm just replying to your criticisms of what i said before.

I'm trying to understand your statements in the context of the purpose of the thread.

Did you read the article? Because if you didn't, then we're working with different ideas of what it means to "stand up for" another religion.

rebelson

I'm trying to understand your statements in the context of the purpose of the thread.

Did you read the article? Because if you didn't, then we're working with different ideas of what it means to "stand up for" another religion.

Yeah i read the article, but ideas/viewpoints are based on the interpretation of words, so i can see why you might not see where i'm standing, and I might not see the question the same way you do.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
That was nice to read when you first wake up :D. I myself try to stand up for other religions, but sometimes I find it so hard when some people of a religion want to be hateful. But I know I shouldn't let the few mess it up for all.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Yeah i read the article, but ideas/viewpoints are based on the interpretation of words, so i can see why you might not see where i'm standing, and I might not see the question the same way you do.

Well, then would you go back and answer my question in post 246?

rebelson

I kind of thought I already answered that when I said that i would stand up for anything i beleived to be wrong. Like in your example -- if I heard someone saying that Mormons dig up corpses -- I would defend the Mormon faith. That doesn't mean that I accept it, but I will stand up for those wrongfully accused of things. Which is basically what I said before from which you derived that i only stand up for my religion. There is a difference between religions and beleifs. I can have my idea of truth -- and it can be based on a religion, but that doesn't mean i accept that religion as being right. In my definition, beleif is only our viewpoint. We know basically nothing-- we just beleive what we think is most likely truth. Some associate religion and beleif as having the same meaning. In certain instances, that is true (i beleive), but that wasn't the way I was using it.