• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which God do you believe in?

Dan4reason

Facts not Faith
I think that this perspective is fair enough. I can relate to the feeling of scepticism for things that lack evidence. But I think that every individual comes from a different place, has a different way of seeing reality and approaching life. And so while I think it reasonable to be an atheist or agnostic, I also think it can be reasonable to be a theist.

I agree with you in part. There are many ways of seeing reality so I cannot simply assume that other perspectives are ignorant. Other perspectives are often reason-based and deserve just as much respect as mine.

Even though people have many different perspectives, this does not mean they are all right. I believe that there are objective truths out there that we humans try to find. Because of this many people can be wrong and many can be right. While it is impossible to be completely sure of the existence of God(s) from a rational standpoint I also find that believing in incredible beings without evidence is foolish and can create terrible fallacies.

Dan4reason

Facts not Faith
I believe in myself and the universe. I don't think there are any gods, but I don't know everything.

I agree with your thinking.

I personally think that Gods were created by people to explain the mysteries of the universe. Today science and reason is helping us to give real reasons for things and there seems less and less of a need for a God. However, as long as humans wish for meaning, they will probably be believing in God.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I trust that an impersonal, non-interventional Deity exists.
There is no objective evidence that this Deity exists or is necessary.
I have only my subjective feelings that such a Deity exists.

Dan4reason

Facts not Faith
I just like the sound of it.

"You lose your grip, and then you slip into the masterpiece."

I mostly like the sound of the Judeo-Christian God. A loving caring powerful friend and caregiver who will reward good people with eternal paradise is something that is very pleasing to believe in. However, there is a darker side to this person. According to the bible, God has ordered genocides of innocent men, women and children, incouraged hatred of gays and lesbians, banned divorce, supports blatant gender inequality, punishes those who do not believe in him with eternal torment, and discourages rational thought. So on second thought, I might want to choose another God to believe in.

I choose not to believe in any God, even the nice ones, because I realize that what I want reality to be has no effect on what it actually is, and reality is often not ideal. To try to redefine reality in order to believe a comfortable idea is delusional.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I mostly like the sound of the Judeo-Christian God. A loving caring powerful friend and caregiver who will reward good people with eternal paradise is something that is very pleasing to believe in.
Yeah; I never cared for that one, myself.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
How does it ring true to you? What convinces you of the truth of your Gods? When it comes to love, I find that love binds many things together however most things are not bound by it. Some things are bound together by other emotions such as fear, hate, vality, and ambition. Most things are incapable of feeling anything because they are inanimate objects and have nothing to do with it. I have a question. Is Krishna a representation or reality to you?

Krishna is a name that represents reality, whatever that is. Krishna represents infinity, eternity and Love.
I feel a special connection with Krishna, as an avatar. But I can admit that I do not know what reality is. I simply have my feelings, my own style of logic, my subjective experiences and the way that my eyes see the world. It may be an illusion, but I often feel that this reality that I perceive is the only one that matters to me. It's the one I choose to pursue, in the hopes of discovering its reality. So I am not an adamant believer at all. I'm a seeker in many ways.

I do feel that Love binds everything. Or perhaps this is bad wording. To explain a little, Love (with the capital), is that connection we have to everything. Even in science, to some extent, there is this knowledge that everything is connected. Love is union. But love (without capital) is our glimpse into that union. I believe that fear and hate and ambition all stem from Love. It's like my sig says: the opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.

This idea of Love, that is probably the one thing that I absolutely do believe in, is why I choose Krishna. He is the only God concept that so completely embodies my experience of reality. And my religion, Hinduism (Sanatan Dharma) is the journey of realising our complete Oneness with everything. It is to dive completely into Love.

I hope that makes sense :)

Dan4reason

Facts not Faith
I trust that an impersonal, non-interventional Deity exists.
There is no objective evidence that this Deity exists or is necessary.
I have only my subjective feelings that such a Deity exists.

I think that beings may exist who seems as powerful as Gods so maybe I hold common ground with you there.

I also agree that there is no objective evidence for this deity but I do think that some sort of proof is necessary. If there is no proof, then your deity is no more likely than an infinitude of possible explanations for our existence and because there are so many equally likely supernatural and non-supernatural realities which are often in conflict, your particular belief is most likely wrong.

I find that feeling alone is a terrible way to find truth and it has been demonstrated over and over that feeling without reason is blind. Feeling is build to love, give meaning to life, and build relationships with people not to discover the secrets of the universe. That takes rigorous evidence and reasoning.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I also agree that there is no objective evidence for this deity but I do think that some sort of proof is necessary. If there is no proof, then your deity is no more likely than an infinitude of possible explanations for our existence and because there are so many equally likely supernatural and non-supernatural realities which are often in conflict, your particular belief is most likely wrong.

It is quite possible I am wrong. However, none of my beliefs conflict with natural scientific evidence. And if they ever do, I will (and have) quite willingly accept facts over belief. I accept that it has been shown that God is not necessary for our existance
If one must have a faith, I believe mine is the most reasonable approach to take.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Well, thank you for including 'Me' in the list. As you may have guessed by now I am a follower of the Left Hand Path and we seek Self-Deification. So, it is 'I' who am a god, it is 'I' who is in charge of my reality, and it is 'I' who must answer to myself and for my actions.
Etu Malku sure doesn't get the press Yhwh, Jesus, or Allah recieve! I am so sorry to have insulted your deity of choice. I will edit the OP and put him on right away. :D