• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which city is richer & more expensive: Tokyo, Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai or Mumbai?

ronki23

Tokyo is the world's largest city by size

Hong Kong has the biggest rich-poor divide in the world

Shanghai has the highest population

Mumbai is supposedly the most expensive city in Asia

Singapore????

Tokyo/Osaka has the highest population by far and probably the highest standard of living overall (rich and poor), followed by Singapore. Tokyo will be the most expensive, probably followed by either Singapore or Hong Kong which will be pretty similar.

ronki23

Tokyo/Osaka has the highest population by far and probably the highest standard of living overall (rich and poor), followed by Singapore. Tokyo will be the most expensive, probably followed by either Singapore or Hong Kong which will be pretty similar.

Are you sure?

Tokyo has 13 million people whereas Shanghai has 25 million

I was told real estate in Shanghai was astronomical but was told Mumbai is even more expensive to live in.

I get mixed stories about Hong Kong and Singapore. People go shopping in Hong Kong and Singapore because it's supposedly cheap and apparently if you have salary from those countries the housing is very affordable- I assume judging by Western salaries it's expensive?

Last edited:

Milton Platt

Tokyo is the world's largest city by size

Hong Kong has the biggest rich-poor divide in the world

Shanghai has the highest population

Mumbai is supposedly the most expensive city in Asia

Singapore????

Haven't been to all of them, but spent 5 weeks in Japan (Osaka). Everything was crazy expensive. Hotel breakfast was $38 per person. Bought an over ripe cantalope in a supermarket for the bargain price of $9.

ronki23

Haven't been to all of them, but spent 5 weeks in Japan (Osaka). Everything was crazy expensive. Hotel breakfast was $38 per person. Bought an over ripe cantalope in a supermarket for the bargain price of $9.

I'm thinking when I go to Japan-Korea i'll do all my electronics and clothes shopping in Seoul if Tokyo is as expensive as people say. I'm just a bit concerned if I do Korea first the Japanese customs may have an issue with me bringing in electronics although it's for my personal usage.

Mumbai is not cheap at all. Their branded clothes and shoes are the same price as the UK- their Burger King also cost the same as UK. Granted all their other fast food was cheaper than Britain and if you buy ONLINE in India it's much cheaper than in shops- they also accept cash on delivery :)

China wasn't cheap either unless you buy off the market and haggle but unlike with Mumbai, in China I went to touristy areas whereas in India I was in both Mumbai and I went to Pune. Chinese charge extortion for mouth-wash, toothpaste,etc. and their chocolate isn't cheap either.