• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Choice Best Describes Your Faith (or lack thereof)?

What is your faith (or lack thereof)?

• Christianity

Votes: 183 20.2%
  • Judaism

Votes: 28 3.1%
  • Islam

Votes: 66 7.3%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 47 5.2%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 51 5.6%
  • Baha'i

Votes: 23 2.5%
  • Spiritism

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Jainism

Votes: 4 0.4%
  • Unitarian Universalism

Votes: 33 3.6%
  • Wiccan/Pagan/Druid

Votes: 65 7.2%
  • Taoism

Votes: 10 1.1%
  • Native American

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Scientology

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Satanism/Luciferianism

Votes: 33 3.6%
  • Atheism/Agnosticism/Secular/Humanism

Votes: 184 20.3%
  • Non-Denominational Theism

Votes: 25 2.8%
  • Nihilism

Votes: 10 1.1%
  • Other - Please Explain

Votes: 139 15.4%

• Total voters

beng

Power of Now is a wonderful book. It has been quite influential for me as well. I believe that Eckhart Tolle's books are kind of a "watered" down version of Krishnamurti's beliefs. I prefer to read Krishnamurti, but Eckhart Tolle has done a lot to help transform peoples' lives as well.

I am a buddhist; previously non-practicing but now having found a teacher - H.E. Tsem Tulku Rinpoche, who also loves Krishnamurti and writes about him on his blog

you should also extend your poll seeing as not all religions are noted in it:witch:
you should not forget that there are lesser known religions!!!!

HCSpirit

Hard Core
Other. I'm what generally goes by the name "spiritual, but not religious", though I am a specific something within that category. About forty years ago, as I stood by my window, depressed and angry and thinking of doing great harm to those who had harmed me, I was wordlessly handed a set of spiritual tools, and from that day my path has been the nameless path of those wordless tools.

Foxfire

It's all about the Light
I had to pick Other because I consider myself a Religious Naturalist. The human spirit is the most important thing to me and a reverence for life and the knowledge that the divine and scared is in you and all around you. (OK that was three things) No belief in a god, just symbols and rituals. Joseph Campbell would come the closest to being my personal Minister for Life.

dopson

TRUTH DELIVERED WITH LOVE
I belive God is universal and can be found in many faiths as well as cultures. The powers that promote or teach religion seem to teach exclusivity instead of inclusiveness. We we come to realize that our mistranslation of scripture leads to misunderstanding, then we will recognize our faults. When we see OUR faults then maybe we could have compassion for others. May Yahwah bless all whom seek his perfection!

Cricket

I said Christian, but only because Quakerism (including Liberal Quakers) is listed as a Christian denomination on this forum. My whole belief system broken down would not likely be wholly categorized as Christian.

Quakerism, so far, is the closest thing I've found to something that resonates with me.

samar hussain

I am a buddhist; previously non-practicing but now having found a teacher - H.E. Tsem Tulku Rinpoche, who also loves Krishnamurti and writes about him on his blog

peace may i know wat is the concept of murtis how this become a religion i mean that how can we expect good and bad although we hav made them i dont understand it :)

KittensAngel

Boldly Proudly Not PC
Humanist atheist, is my answer.

I was raised in a religious family. I'm the only atheist on both sides of the family that I know of. I simply came to the conclusion that faith in what I consider pie in the sky fables, doesn't bring comfort when none of it's true for real life that needs comforting by something as tangible as are the problems that need support, or satisfaction for the joys that are abundant and arrive not by the directive of something unseen.

I know many people who say they hold faith for fear of what may come after life. So in a sense they're living Pascal's wager,which is their prerogative. Personally, I think this life is entirely personal and subjective. That it's all about the perception of the individual living it and everything and everyone isn't an objective happenstance, but rather is perceived through subjective bias depending on what the individual was hard wired to understand about their presence in what is programmed to their understanding of the world.

In essence, if there was a God I'm it. I create at will, I experience the consequences, I enjoy the blessings, and since there are nearly 7 billion other individuals on this planet doing the same, per my perspective, and I'll only encounter what amounts to less than a hand full unto the day I die, it's a matter of a polydeistic reality as well. ;)

In other words, we are all creative power living a human experience as this temple flesh, upon this planet altar, fulfilling the rite and ritual of our choice, praying for and being granted what we work to achieve as our dreams, hopes and desires. We're all sacred. Holy books and icons, are even proof of that too. But by proxy.

P.S.Scarlett Wampus, I love your avatar. :) As do I really like that of, Turkey on Rye! Now that's a mouthful. :p

KittensAngel

Boldly Proudly Not PC
Khali-Gaïa_Witch;2383586 said:
you should also extend your poll seeing as not all religions are noted in it:witch:
you should not forget that there are lesser known religions!!!!
I would think the option in the poll noted as, "Other" along with the request to please explain, would cover that. Would it not? :)

horizon_mj1

I may have already replied to this thread, I apologize. To me faith is the standard definition: . [n] institution to express belief in a divine power; http://lookwayup.com/lwu.exe/lwu/d?s=f&w=faith#n/4565571As far as having a religion in which my faith is based, it is much more intricate than any religion I have found defines. Every belief system, religion, faith, or lack of faith holds an intricate truth; if setting aside all expectations while seeking the knowledge within these belief systems, the fact in knowledge is much easier to find. I have reached this conclusion through experience and documented fact.

WedGirl

JesusLuvsU
I took the poll and chose Christianity as my faith. My belief is that God created us and the heavens and earth. Later, He created his son Jesus to live here on this earth. Jesus served as a perfect example of how we should live our life, pure and in concordance with God's word and commandments. I read the Bible (not as often as I should, though)...and go to church now, too.
It has helped me get closer to the Lord and helped to clarify my beliefs.

Btw, I enjoyed reading the responses to this poll here.

Yukon

I simply quote the Bible:

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Jacksnyte

Reverend
I simply quote the Bible:

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
OHO! So you are that guy at all the football games with the sign and the rainbow fright wig!!!

Felidae

I chose atheism/agnosticism. One day it's the one, another day the other. I don't really believe in anything. I don't believe in humanity, my faith in that is minimal, so a deity to create humanity is a ricidulous idea to me. I've never felt the need for a god. I've lived my live fine through all that's happened (and some of it has been easy, some very difficult) without believing in anything other than myself. Things will happen, no matter what I do about it. In a way, that would be nihilism, only that sounds too strong a term for what I believe. I'm emotional, hate it when something happens to even the most stranger of people.. yet at the same time I see whole humanity as something that doesn't matter, something that will pass within (at most) millenia. We don't matter, there's much more life out there, we're one of the many species that originates and dies before they've made a change in the universe, if there's such a thing possible.

My beliefs are complex, and sometimes even too jumbled for me to make sense of, so maybe you guys can help me out.. more browsing to do.

I consider myself a Christian Universalist (and answered with Christian). I have a Christian foundation, and therefore a Christian perspective and understanding, but I pull from the various faiths and teachers of the world as well - I just have my foundation in the person and message of Jesus, if that makes any sense. :)