• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which book of the Bible?

Mystic-als

If all the books of the bible except one were to be destroyed in all forms. Which one would you say was the one we would need to keep?

I was told that Romans is a great overview of the bible.
Some-one else told me acts because of it's church tradition.

Which do you say?

Rejected

Under Reconstruction
I've always been partial to the book of Matthew. I think it important for a religon which is supposed to emulate a specific person to have a record of that persons life. How did he get here? What message did he preach? What directions did he leave for us? If only one book survived I definately think it should be one of the Gospels.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I have a penchant for ecclesiastes.............

Strangely enough, I found this 'view' on the book:-
http://www.biblequestions.org/Archives/BQAR333.htmSome basic facts about the Book of Ecclesiastes. Ecclesiastes is spiritually, morally, and intellectually challenging and rewarding. The writer not only wrote by inspiration, but also had himself experienced what he taught. The author, apparently Solomon, had sought fulfillment in secular knowledge, physical pleasure, architecture, agriculture, and materialism (Eccl. 1: 16-18; 2: 1-3; 2: 4; 2: 4-6; 2: 7-10). His quests had been extraordinary but still not the answer to true success (Eccl. 1: 16, 2: 7, 9, 10). He said such is "vanity and vexation of spirit" (Eccl. 1: 14, 2: 11). Some have thought the book is pessimistic, however, we must understand that he writes about the comparative futility of the secular (without God). Some even view the author as a materialist, no life after this life (cp. Eccl. 9: 10). Again, we must realize that he wrote about matters pertaining to this life (see "under the sun," Eccl. 9: 5, 6). This book of wisdom teaches life after this life, be assured (Eccl. 12: 7).

Timewarp

Mystic-als said:
If all the books of the bible except one were to be destroyed in all forms. Which one would you say was the one we would need to keep?

I was told that Romans is a great overview of the bible.
Some-one else told me acts because of it's church tradition.

Which do you say?

Since god is all merciful, would it really matter which book you read? The only thing that would be important as a christian are any of the depictions of Yeshua and his livelihood. The other passages are technically obselete, since they don't follow along with the life of Yeshua. And technically you only need to follow Yeshua (Jesus in hebrew) to come to the kingdom of heaven.

Mystic-als

You know I was waiting for some philisophical comment to come out. I was pleasanly surprised to see that it didn't.... until now.

Timewarp - One word answer. "Duhh"

I am talking about the bibles books not a relationship with God.

To be cleat I don't dissagree with what you said, in fact I definitely agree. But thats for a different thread.