• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where Native Americans strictly.....

Absolute Zero

fon memories
Where native americans strictly monagamist ? Was polygamie or adultry heavely punshed ? Are such things still practiesed today by Native American communites ?

Shuddhasattva

Too diverse. You have to realize the incredible diversity of language (starting here, as language is the germ of culture, and facilitates its exchange across related societies), cultures, religions, societies (within cultures), etc. In some places, polygamy is very much attested, in others, not so much. So is a third gender.

As for the current Native American communities I cannot speak, but I would assume only in very isolated pockets if at all, Native American religion is... heavily impacted, though not quite dead, as a result of 'the occupation.'

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
There were a wide range of family dynamics. Some monogamous, some polygamous and there are tribes in South America that are polyandrous.

Some cultures were more strict than others but I don't know of any that were as strict as western or eastern cultures are.

wa:do