• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where is the the son of God?

Repox

Truth Seeker
Based on figurative interpretations you'll find no mention of the son of God in the Old Testament . Based on the nature of figurative interpretations, almost anything qualifies. I recall only one literal interpretation to a son of God in the Old Testament and I believe it was questionable. However, I don't recall the reference. A fine Biblical scholar gave it to me, but I lost it.

Maybe Jews have a good case against the New Testament. If there is no son of God in their holy book, it might be a fraud.

My own interpretation is Jesus was God and not his son. The Old Testament Lord was Jesus.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Based on figurative interpretations you'll find no mention of the son of God in the Old Testament . Based on the nature of figurative interpretations, almost anything qualifies. I recall only one literal interpretation to a son of God in the Old Testament and I believe it was questionable. However, I don't recall the reference. A fine Biblical scholar gave it to me, but I lost it.

Maybe Jews have a good case against the New Testament. If there is no son of God in their holy book, it might be a fraud.

Totally irrelevant, Jews don't use the NT.

My own interpretation is Jesus was God and not his son. The Old Testament Lord was Jesus.

So the stories in the NT are false? They clearly indicate He was human, divine perhaps, but even Jesus didn't call himself God.

Dear Repox; Maybe Daniel 3:25 (KJV) was the reference scripture that was lost.

John 14:1, Jesus said, "Let not your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe 'Also' in me."

In the love of Christ, sincerely, The Real Milk Man.

God and His Son loves you, and I do too!

Whatever is the overflow of the heart, is what comes out of the mouth.

Joshua Tilghman

It seems we have a ONENESS issue verses a TRINITY here also.In Zechariah there is a scripture in which the Lord states that there is no savior beside him. This can all seem a bit confusing to someone who is just starting to read the Bible. I think we have to look for the deeper meaning. The Son of God is about us. We are all sons (manifested on the physical plane) of the ONE spirit. Jesus' life is about the life that we are supposed to live in order to grow spiritually. I don't think it has to be literal to see the great spiritual revelations we are meant to internalize. So, to answer your questions: "Where is the Son of God?" Just go look into a mirror.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

Sons of God are mentioned frequently in the OT with regard to the Angels:

Job 1:6 Now it came to be the day when the sons of the [true] God entered to take their station before Jehovah, and even Satan proceeded to enter right among them

Genesis 6:2 then the sons of the [true] God began to notice the daughters of men, that they were good-looking; and they went taking wives for themselves, namely, all whom they chose.

Job 38:7 When the morning stars joyfully cried out together, And all the sons of God began shouting in applause?

Daniel 3:25 He was answering and saying: “Look! I am beholding four able-bodied men walking about free in the midst of the fire, and there is no hurt to them, and the appearance of the fourth one is resembling a son of the gods.

Jesus himself is one of these 'sons of God'

Repox

Truth Seeker
Are you going to explain that or what??

Sorry, I have been distracted with the flu.

I read Bart Ehrman's books about the Old Testament and came to the conclusion that the gospels are not accurate. You are probably familiar with those biblical scholars who claim as such. Well, it has occurred to me that Jesus may have been God and not is son. If the gospels and Paul are in error, the real truth may never be known.

I have a theory that may explain what happened. I believe God is two equal entities. When God came into the world as Jesus no one understood him, so they made up father and son stories.

If there is no son of God, then the Old Testament is the more reliable record of the Lord God, who was also Jesus.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I read Bart Ehrman's books about the Old Testament and came to the conclusion that the gospels are not accurate. You are probably familiar with those biblical scholars who claim as such. Well, it has occurred to me that Jesus may have been God and not is son. If the gospels and Paul are in error, the real truth may never be known.

I have a theory that may explain what happened. I believe God is two equal entities. When God came into the world as Jesus no one understood him, so they made up father and son stories.

If there is no son of God, then the Old Testament is the more reliable record of the Lord God, who was also Jesus.

You're argument is actually very popular as far as I can tell, that's the general Trinitarian concept I think, and any denomination that refers to Jesus as God. Frankly I don't know how those churches explain the "Son of God" title beyond the trinity.

InChrist

Free4ever
Who has ascended into heaven, or descended? Who has gathered the wind in His fists? Who has bound the waters in a garment? Who has established all the ends of the earth? What is His name, and what is His Son’s name, If you know? Proverbs 30:4

Repox

Truth Seeker
Who has ascended into heaven, or descended? Who has gathered the wind in His fists? Who has bound the waters in a garment? Who has established all the ends of the earth? What is His name, and what is His Son’s name, If you know? Proverbs 30:4

This is a beautiful quote about "His Son," which may or may not be Jesus. The problem with the son of God in the Old Testament is that it hardly exists. If the son of God created the universe, as Paul claimed, why isn't that mentioned in Genesis? If the son of God is really important why didn't the Lord God extol his virtues in the Old Testament?

Why don't Jews acknowledge the son of God? Why didn't the Lord tell his chosen people about him? The answer may be because there is no son of God, it was invented by New Testament authors, mostly to promote their new religion.

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
This is a beautiful quote about "His Son," which may or may not be Jesus. The problem with the son of God in the Old Testament is that it hardly exists. If the son of God created the universe, as Paul claimed, why isn't that mentioned in Genesis? If the son of God is really important why didn't the Lord God extol his virtues in the Old Testament?

Why don't Jews acknowledge the son of God? Why didn't the Lord tell his chosen people about him? The answer may be because there is no son of God, it was invented by New Testament Authors, mostly to promote their new religion.

Proverbs 8:22-31

cataway

Why don't Jews acknowledge the son of God? Why didn't the Lord tell his chosen people about him? The answer may be because there is no son of God, it was invented by New Testament Authors, mostly to promote their new religion.
one reason they did not know of him was it was a sacred secret .
25 Now to him who can make YOU firm in accord with the good news I declare and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the sacred secret which has been kept in silence for long-lasting times 26 but has now been made manifest and has been made known through the prophetic scriptures among all the nations in accord with the command of the everlasting God to promote obedience by faith; 27 to God, wise alone, be the glory through Jesus Christ forever. Amen.

Poisonshady313

Rashi's commentary...

Who ascended to heaven: like Moses?

Who wrapped the waters: (Ex. 15:8): “The depths were congealed” ; (ad loc.): “The floods stood upright like a heap,” through Moses’s prayer.

Who established: the Tabernacle, through whose establishment all the ends of the earth were firmly established. In this way, it is expounded in the Pesikta.
What is his name and what is the name of his son: If you say that there already was one like him, tell me what his son’s name is; i.e., what family is descended from him, and we will know who he is.
There is no reason to believe that Proverbs 30:4 is speaking of a son of God.

Repox

Truth Seeker
Rashi's commentary...

There is no reason to believe that Proverbs 30:4 is speaking of a son of God.

This reference of a son may be to God's chosen people, or to the author of the verse, it is not specific.

The problem with most of Old Testament references to a son is they're not literal references to the son of God. There have always been sons of men.