• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where is the governing strategy?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
July 19, 2010

On Meet the Press, Texas GOP leaders predict House takeover, fail to elaborate on policy agenda

Texas lawmakers hit the Sunday talk shows this weekend, predicting big wins for the GOP and an eventual Republican majority in the House.

But along with the prediction came no indication of how Republicans would take advantage of a possible majority in Congress, prompting Democrats to pounce on the issue.

Rep. Pete Sessions, R-Texas, said on NBC's Meet the Press that the Republican Party would win back more than the 39 seats needed to reclaim control of the House, yet he failed to give specifics on what a Republican policy agenda would entail if his prediction were to come true.

Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, predicted an eight-seat gain for the GOP in November on the Senate side, but he too did not give specifics on how Republicans would run the show.

Vice President Joe Biden said the lack of a clear policy agenda will hurt Republicans come November.

"They're all about repeal and repeat," Biden said on ABC's "This Week." "Repeal what we're doing and go back, repeal the incentives for industry to invest in solar energy, repeal the health care bill that allows you to keep your kid on your health care policy, pre-existing conditions can't deny you policies, et cetera."

On Meet the Press, Texas GOP leaders predict House takeover, fail to elaborate on policy agenda | Texas on the Potomac | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Show me something.................

If I'm dissatisfied with what the Dem's have done, but I don't want "NO" as a governing philosophy, what reasons could I find for voting Republican in November?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I'm serious here - is there anything to vote FOR in the Republican platform this fall? What have we got? Anything?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm serious here - is there anything to vote FOR in the Republican platform this fall? What have we got? Anything?
\

Voters like simple messages.
"Anyone but Bush!" worked lastime.
Maybe "Anyone but Obama!" is the winner now.

I don't know & I make no predictions.

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi Engyo,

I saw that too. Many Republicans are just as brain dead as the Democrats. Some get that they can be critical of Obama and the Democrats, but are too cowardly to tell the American people what they would do. These Republicans are the big-government types that believe they can govern in a Democrat-lite type of way.

And this is why the Tea Party movement is so important. The Tea Party movement can come up with specifics about what they would cut in government and how that help the economy. Many Republicans detest the Tea Party movement and still want a huge government that they can use for giveaways like the Democrats.

Troublemane

I think if the Obamanites keep going the way they have, there really doesnt need to be a clear plan. The overwhelming sentiment of the country is to get rid of these bums, and it will only build as we approach november.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I think if the Obamanites keep going the way they have, there really doesnt need to be a clear plan. The overwhelming sentiment of the country is to get rid of these bums, and it will only build as we approach november.
So, if the Republicans DO manage to take over Congress in November, what then?

Duuh, uh, oh, yeah, I remember! NO! NO! That's it, NO!

Troublemane

Well...if they take control in a landslide, I would say its their duty to then repeal Obamacare, and possibly the "financial reform bill". I would settle with a repeal of Obamacare and a re-enstatement of the Bush tax cuts. BUT they have got to cut spending, they cannot simply cut taxes and then keep things as they are using deficit spending.

However, the cynic in me says they will do exactly as they did last time. Get everyone's hopes up, storm into office, and then not change a damn thing. Thats what I am afraid of.

I can already hear, Republicans who are now railing against Obamacare, saying later after a massive victory," Ya know, most of this bill is not bad! I think we can work with this!" And they keep it in place, much like what happened with Social Security, Medicare, and other social entitlements.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Hi Engyo,

I saw that too. Many Republicans are just as brain dead as the Democrats. Some get that they can be critical of Obama and the Democrats, but are too cowardly to tell the American people what they would do. These Republicans are the big-government types that believe they can govern in a Democrat-lite type of way.

Oh my god...I AGREE WITH JOE STOCKS! :faint: Well at least to an extent, but hey, that's progress!

And this is why the Tea Party movement is so important. The Tea Party movement can come up with specifics about what they would cut in government and how that help the economy. Many Republicans detest the Tea Party movement and still want a huge government that they can use for giveaways like the Democrats.

Ah, that's more like it. I was beginning to think we would see eye-to-eye on everything... :D nah, just messin' with you, man. Even though we agree on just about nothing, it's imperative that nearly everyone be allowed to voice their opinions, even when differences run deep. (Yeah, I believe in exceptions, but that's a story for another thread.)

Back to the discussion. Hate to say it, but the Tea-baggers have produced almost as many specifics of their political platform as the Republicans have. They want to trim the deficit...but how? They want to cut federal spending...but which programs, personnel, equipment, institutions, and plans get the axe? They want to take our country back to a better day, but precisely which year in the past is their target year? And what exactly is their plan to create more jobs? If it's "tax cuts," did they miss the memo that Obama has LOWERED income taxes for about 95% of Americans?

So, if the Republicans DO manage to take over Congress in November, what then?

Duuh, uh, oh, yeah, I remember! NO! NO! That's it, NO!

Exactly. I could care less with what the Republicans, or the Democrats, or anyone, thinks won't work. I want to know what people think WILL work.

Well...if they take control in a landslide, I would say its their duty to then repeal Obamacare, and possibly the "financial reform bill". I would settle with a repeal of Obamacare and a re-enstatement of the Bush tax cuts. BUT they have got to cut spending, they cannot simply cut taxes and then keep things as they are using deficit spending.

However, the cynic in me says they will do exactly as they did last time. Get everyone's hopes up, storm into office, and then not change a damn thing. Thats what I am afraid of.

I can already hear, Republicans who are now railing against Obamacare, saying later after a massive victory," Ya know, most of this bill is not bad! I think we can work with this!" And they keep it in place, much like what happened with Social Security, Medicare, and other social entitlements.

OMG...I agree with Troublemane too... Look out, citizens of hell, an arctic blast is imminent...