• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

where is it written?

waitasec

Veteran Member
luke 24:46 He told them, "This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day,

:shrug:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hosea 6:1,2
The translation includes the word "us" as in he has torn us, he will heal us. But does it mean The Son? I think so.

Come, let us return to the LORD. He has torn us to pieces but he will heal us; he has injured us but he will bind up our wounds After two days he will revive us; on the third day he will restore us, that we may live in his presence

Isaiah 53:10
Yet it was the LORD's will to crush him and cause him to suffer, and though the LORD makes his life a guilt offering, he will see his offspring and prolong his days, and the will of the LORD will prosper in his hand.

Last edited:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
The translation includes the word "us" as in he has torn us, he will heal us. But does it mean The Son? I think so.

Come, let us return to the LORD. He has torn us to pieces but he will heal us; he has injured us but he will bind up our wounds After two days he will revive us; on the third day he will restore us, that we may live in his presence
Or perhaps the Messiah isn't a single person.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Or perhaps the Messiah isn't a single person.

I half agree with you. Messiah means 'anointed ONE' I think, I might be wrong. But he is the LEADER so that means there are more under his direction. And they also suffer like the leader does. But not just like him.

waitasec

Veteran Member

Yet it was the LORD's will to crush him and cause him to suffer, and though the LORD makes his life a guilt offering, he will see his offspring and prolong his days, and the will of the LORD will prosper in his hand.

i don't see it.

why must these "written" prophesies be ambiguous?
it is like reading a fortune cookie.

isaiah doesn't mention the third day.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
i don't see it.

it is like reading a fortune cookie.

isaiah doesn't mention the third day.

I don't know. Isaiah does not mention the third day? "on the third day he will restore" how is that not mentioning the third day?

Why ambiguous? Defined is Unclear or inexact because a choice between alternatives has not been made. (google) It's because there is no alternative I think.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

The answer hath come to me. Do you want it I wonder or is the question rhetorical?

This is what I think the answer to the question; "why is the Bible open to interpretation", especially the predictions? Is it because a literal rendering of scripture will encourage counterfeit prophets who will find it so easy to fill the description? The way it rests now it is very accomplished for identifying the TRUE Messiah (for believers). There remains no doubt for true believers.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I don't believe anything Paul or Luke wrote. I do follow Jesus and believe what is written by people who actually knew Jesus when he was alive, (the first time).

waitasec

Veteran Member
I don't know. Isaiah does not mention the third day? "on the third day he will restore" how is that not mentioning the third day?

Why ambiguous? Defined is Unclear or inexact because a choice between alternatives has not been made. (google) It's because there is no alternative I think.
still...
it doesn't say:
"The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day"

Harmonious

Just to compare, my translation says this.

1. Come and let us return to the Lord, for He has torn and He shall heal us; He smites, and He will bind us up. 2. He will revive us from the two days, on the third day He will set us up, and we will live before Him.

I'm not sure what context you are assuming is there.

And my translation:

10. And the Lord wished to crush him, He made him ill; if his soul makes itself restitution, he shall see children, he shall prolong his days, and God's purpose shall prosper in his hand.

For some reason, we are getting vastly different things out of these verses. If need be, I can take out the Hebrew and compare.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
luke 24:46 He told them, "This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day,

:shrug:

Isaiah 53:5 But he was being pierced for our transgression; he was being crushed for our errors. The chastisement meant for our peace was upon him, and because of his wounds there has been a healing for us...
8...For he was severed from the land of the living ones. Because of the transgression of my people he had the stroke.
12 For that reason I shall deal him a portion among the many, and it will be with the mighty ones that he will apportion the spoil,...

Daniel 9:25 And you should know and have the insight [that] from the going forth of [the] word to restore and to rebuild Jerusalem until Mes·si′ah [the] Leader, there will be seven weeks, also sixty-two weeks...26 “And after the sixty-two weeks Mes·si′ah will be cut off, with nothing for himself.
“And the city and the holy place the people of a leader that is coming will bring to their ruin. And the end of it will be by the flood. And until [the] end there will be war; what is decided upon is desolations.

Last edited:

BobbyisStrange

The Adversary
Does anyone think it's possible that new testament writers just embellished the story a little bit? Ya know, perhaps they attributed these "prophesies" to Jesus after they read them from the Tanakh?