• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where is God during disasters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Jensa said:
It is common knowledge that the ying yang is a Taoist symbol. If you didn't know it before, now you do. Please stop calling believers 'ying-yangists;' it is disrespectful.

Except that there IS a Baptist sect... there isn't a ying-yangist sect.
Fine, Jensa, you guys are always so quick to tell me what I shouldn't be saying. Tell me what I should say.

What do they call themselves, then ... and I'll use that.

And as far as the word 'Baptist' is concerned ... it is actually a derogatory term given to us by the gentiles.

You don't hear us whining about it.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
If you're referring to Taoists, call them Taoists. No word games.

Not once when I grew up as a Baptist did I hear that... I'm willing to bet many around here either don't know or don't care on the history of the word.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Renaldo said:
Sorry to interrupt men but perhaps this is why AV1 introduced discussion of yin yang in this thread:

It represents the balance of opposites in the universe. When they are equally present, all is calm. (Calm of the earth, no disasters.)When one is outweighed by the other, there is confusion and disarray. (Disarray in the earth's balance, causing disaster)

It was just a thought, no lynch mob of taoists please:)
I covered that in detail in Post 281 as to why a Yin/Yang believer should admit that Hurricane Katrina was actually a metaphysical phenomenon, not a natural one.

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
AV1611 said:
I covered that in detail in Post 281 as to why a Yin/Yang believer should admit that Hurricane Katrina was actually a metaphysical phenomenon, not a natural one.
Just trying to lighten the thread up a little, everyone seems so agitated.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I believe that's an inaccurate way to portray Taoism, Renaldo... the earth can't be peaceful. It needs to have storms and volcanic eruptions and whatnot. If it didn't, things would be worse.

Temporarily Deactive.
Jensa said:
I believe that's an inaccurate way to portray Taoism, Renaldo... the earth can't be peaceful. It needs to have storms and volcanic eruptions and whatnot. If it didn't, things would be worse.
Beh...you didn't expect better from me did ya?:) Feel free to delete the post.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
It doesn't offend me, I was just saying that it's not too accurate. :) I'm not going to delete it since you're not insisting it's the only way to look at it.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Jensa said:
If you're referring to Taoists, call them Taoists. No word games.
I wasn't referring to Taoists! Sheesh! I was referring to Yin-Yang believers! Okay?

Not all believers in Yin/Yang are Taoists, right? So how do you address ALL the Yin/Yang believers of ALL religions as a corporate whole?

Not once when I grew up as a Baptist did I hear that... I'm willing to bet many around here either don't know or don't care on the history of the word.
I'll vouch for not caring ... but we were originally called ana-Baptists (ana means re-) because we would "re-baptize" a person who had been baptized as an infant.

We teach two things about Baptism:

• At no time ever should a person be Baptized without their consent.
  • At no time ever should a person consent without being born again first.
(And before you Baptists start jumping on me about this, remember: I'm an Independent, Fundamental Baptist --- so just put the keyboards down and chill out.)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
AV1611 said:
One simple question, Michel, and I'll ask it for the last time:

Would a Yin-Yang believer please tell us why Hurricane Katrina occurred?

According to YOUR doctrine --- not meterology.
Since you ask about yin-yang, the recipe can be found on :- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yin_and_yang
The meaning of the characters for yin and yang, necessarily, has more than just one connotation. Because yang means "sunny", it corresponds to the day and more active functions. Whereas yin, meaning "shady", corresponds to night and less active functions. Yin and yang can be compared in the chart to the right.

It is also possible to look at yin and yang with respect to the flow of time. Noon, is full yang, sunset is yang turning to yin; midnight is full yin and sunrise is yin turning to yang. This flow of time can also be expressed in seasonal changes and directions. South and summer are full yang; west and autumn are yang turning to yin; north and winter are full yin, and east and spring are yin turning into yang.

Yin and yang can also be seen as a process of transformation which describes the changes between the phases of a cycle. For example, cold water (yin) can be boiled and eventually turn into steam (yang).

One way to write the symbols for yin and yang are a solid line (yang) and a broken line (yin) which could be divided into the four stages of yin and yang and further divided into the eight trigrams (these trigrams are used on the South Korean flag). The symbol shown at the top righthand corner of this page, called Taijitu (太極圖), is another way to show yin and yang. The mostly white portion, being brighter, is yang and the mostly dark portion, being dim, is yin. Each, however, contains the seed of its opposite. Yin and yang are equally important, unlike the typical dualism of good and evil.

The concept is called yin yang, not yang yin, just because the former has a preferred pronunciation in Chinese (see Standard Mandarin - Tones for detail), and the word order has no cultural or philosophical meaning.

[edit]

Principles

Everything can be described as either yin or yang

1. Yin and yang are opposites.

Everything has its opposite—although this is never absolute, only comparative. No one thing is completely yin or completely yang. Each contains the seed of its opposite. For example, winter can turn into summer; "what goes up must come down".

2. Yin and yang are interdependent.

One cannot exist without the other. For example, day cannot exist without night.

3. Yin and yang can be further subdivided into yin and yang.

Any yin or yang aspect can be further subdivided into yin and yang. For example, temperature can be seen as either hot or cold. However, hot can be further divided into warm or burning; cold into cool or icy. Within each spectrum, there is a smaller spectrum; every beginning is a moment in time, and has a beginning and end, just as every hour has a beginning and end.

4. Yin and yang consume and support each other.

Yin and yang are usually held in balance—as one increases, the other decreases. However, imbalances can occur. There are four possible imbalances: Excess yin, excess yang, yin deficiency, yang deficiency.

5. Yin and yang can transform into one another.

At a particular stage, yin can transform into yang and vice versa. For example, night changes into day; warmth cools; life changes to death.

6. Part of yin is in yang and part of yang is in yin.

The dots in each serve as a reminder that there are always traces of one in the other. For example, there is always light within the dark (e.g., the stars at night), these qualities are never completely one or the other.

I think a Chinese philosopher would view the hurricane as 'just part of nature, fitting in with yin-yang principles'. I just don't get what you are driving at.

Temporarily Deactive.
michel said:
The meaning of the characters for yin and yang, necessarily, has more than just one connotation. Because yang means "sunny", it corresponds to the day and more active functions. Whereas yin, meaning "shady", corresponds to night and less active functions. Yin and yang can be compared in the chart to the right.
Yet I posted something like that and Jensa came and saw me..oh well, not that I care lol.

:)

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
AV1611 said:
Gerani, I'm sorry, but I'm confused now (which isn't anything new).

Are you a Hindu, or aren't you?

Are you some kind of Neo-Hindu? A Hindu in name only? or what?

Don't you have approximately 10,000 different deities?

Don't you believe in and adhere to the Caste Sytem?

Or do you just pick and choose what you want to believe so you can wear the label?

I'm confused.

I think I understand your plight. HInduism is such a diverse religion. Its not overly organized or structure like some christian religions or western relgions. its very open. Its not a pick and chose relgion. Its all about forming your own path to self fullfilment. or if you a theist hindu, is all about your relationship with God. We do not believe no other person has the right to interfere with that. Only holy books can guide you. The path depends entirely on the person, as all people are different.

I can really go into depth about the caste system, you may want to look at my posts on that thread.

LIke how some people call it cafeteria christians, you cannot really shop in a cafeteria with hinduism. its all up to the individual, as we are all different and our relationship with God is different.

Yes we have more than a thousand gods, but these are names for different attributes of one God. hinduism is both polythestic and monotheistic. read my two previous posts carefully.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
AV1611 said:
Fine, Jensa, you guys are always so quick to tell me what I shouldn't be saying. Tell me what I should say.

What do they call themselves, then ... and I'll use that.

And as far as the word 'Baptist' is concerned ... it is actually a derogatory term given to us by the gentiles.

You don't hear us whining about it.

Respect.

Calling Taoists, Yingyangists is the same as calling Chrisitans, Jesus-lovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.