• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Where) is Durga the Supreme deity?

ronki23

I don't pray to Hindu Gods and Goddesses but I do believe in the Buddhas, the Sikh Gurus and Jesus. However, I am interested in Durga because I think she's the warrior form of Parvati. Some say Durga is the supreme deity such as in Bengal. In my culture (Gujarati) she's known as Ambe but she's not the supreme.

Where is she the supreme ?

Does she ride a lion or a tiger?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Usually the Shakti traditions venerate the goddesses as The Supreme.
Durga rides a tiger to symbolise her possessing unlimited power.
The lion is supposed to represent animalistic tendencies. Her riding on one shows that we can control such urges.
At least according to this site
https://indiacurrents.com/what-does-goddess-durga-symbolize/amp/
I can’t speak to the authenticity but it seems legit as far as I can tell

ronki23

Usually the Shakti traditions venerate the goddesses as The Supreme.
Durga rides a tiger to symbolise her possessing unlimited power.
The lion is supposed to represent animalistic tendencies. Her riding on one shows that we can control such urges.
At least according to this site
https://indiacurrents.com/what-does-goddess-durga-symbolize/amp/
I can’t speak to the authenticity but it seems legit as far as I can tell

Where are there Shaktiites in India ? I know Bengal has a lot

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Everywhere in India. It is totally a pesonal choice. In Rajasthan, many Rajputs are staunch Devi worshipers. Kings mostly had Goddesses as their family deity. In Jodhpur - Chamunda, in Bikaner - Karni, and so in Jaipur also. In Tamilnadu, they call her Adya Shakti (Original/primordial power) - Mariamman (not the Christian Miriam). Kashmiri brahmins worship one of the three Goddesses - Jwala, Rangnya, Sharika.

ronki23

Everywhere in India. It is totally a pesonal choice. In Rajasthan, many Rajputs are staunch Devi worshipers. Kings mostly had Goddesses as their family deity. In Jodhpur - Chamunda, in Bikaner - Karni, and so in Jaipur also. In Tamilnadu, they call her Adya Shakti (Original/primordial power) - Mariamman (not the Christian Miriam). Kashmiri brahmins worship one of the three Goddesses - Jwala, Rangnya, Sharika.

Does she ride a lion or a tiger ?

Vinidra

Jai Mata Di!
Does she ride a lion or a tiger ?

Yes. ;)

The Shakta literature that I've read describes her as riding a lion. The murti I have has her on a tiger. I guess it's one of those things that's the artist's choice?

Jai Mata Di!

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't pray to Hindu Gods and Goddesses but I do believe in the Buddhas, the Sikh Gurus and Jesus. However, I am interested in Durga because I think she's the warrior form of Parvati. Some say Durga is the supreme deity such as in Bengal. In my culture (Gujarati) she's known as Ambe but she's not the supreme.

Where is she the supreme ?

Does she ride a lion or a tiger?
The key text is Devi Mahtmyam. In shakti path she is considered supreme. Durga is a form of the Devi. She rides a lion.