• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

where does evil come from?

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
It wouldn't surprise me one bit.

You can claim whatever it is you want.
But the fact is that morality is not absolute outside your own mind.

What would be your defintion of Good and bad ???.

Then I would be justified according to your "logic" if I killed your family and said it was'nt bad to me ,as a matter of fact, I thought I was helping,anyways there are no moral absolutes in which to measure what is actually right or wrong and oh ya!!btw,it's only bad in your mind, and good in my mind. So bang, bang your dead to cause I need your money and car.

You are the one claiming this position that looks,smells and tastes like relativsm,
This kind of reasoning exists in a belief system that cradles evolution, which really has no creator,no purpose ,no destiny, no moral standards.... alll without hope.

That is brilliant philosophy to hold to, that is until some insane wacked criminal touches those in your circle, then we'll see what is absolutely bad, wicked and evil.
Then maybe you'll find a new meaning of life and the desperate desire to live and not die.
Maybe that's why God palced the desire to live for ever in every human heart.

...btw, an act like that would strike a nerve with most sane and rational people leading them to demand absolute justice.
but according to you ,we are our own justice system which gives us right to be judge, jury and executioner.

Which brings about another question,according to your logic, where does justice sit in your mind.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology

Then I would be justified according to your "logic" if I killed your family and said it was'nt bad to me ,as a matter of fact, I thought I was helping,anyways there are no moral absolutes in which to measure what is actually right or wrong and oh ya!!btw,it's only bad in your mind, and good in my mind. So bang, bang your dead to cause I need your money and car.

You are the one claiming this position that looks,smells and tastes like relativsm,
This kind of reasoning exists in a belief system that cradles evolution, which really has no creator,no purpose ,no destiny, no moral standards.... alll without hope.

That is brilliant philosophy to hold to, that is until some insane wacked criminal touches those in your circle, then we'll see what is absolutely bad, wicked and evil.
Then maybe you'll find a new meaning of life and the desperate desire to live and not die.

...btw, an act like that would strike a nerve with most sane and rational people leading them to demand absolute justice.
but according to you ,we are our own justice system which gives us right to be judge, jury and executioner.

Which brings about another question,according to your logic, where does justice sit in your mind.

A fine post, Roli. You have managed to completely miss the point that Mestemia makes, regarding moral relativity (as opposed to absolutism), but you then take it to the next step by arguing strawmen for assertions that were never made.

Nowhere in his post did Mestemia assert that moral relativism justifies actions (i.e. murder) simply because someone has different values.

If you believe that Mestemia did make such an assertion, please provide us with a direct quote from his post that supports your claim.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
A fine post, Roli. You have managed to completely miss the point that Mestemia makes, regarding moral relativity (as opposed to absolutism), but you then take it to the next step by arguing strawmen for assertions that were never made.

I would appreciate you explaining to me ,"Mestemia's point" as it was up for interpretation .which I thought I did.
..but maybe I did miss the point.I will wait and see how far.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

There is no ultimate and absolute standard for right and wrong.
What's right and wrong is decided by the society in which an individual finds himself in.
Judgments about what is right and what is wrong are transitory.
Judgments about what is right and what is wrong vary to a huge degree from one culture to the next.
It seems plainly evident that to any objective observer, absolute right and wrong do not exist.

Justice is merely the politically correct term for revenge.

logician

"Evil" has religious connotations representing something done against or contrary to some supposed god's laws. Society determines what is evil by those actions that which causes disorder, or a tendency towards anarchy or loss of civil control, and passes laws to prevent such actions. The 2 really have little in common, as religions and societies vary tremendously from one culture to the next.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
What's right and wrong is decided by the society in which an individual finds himself in.
Judgments about what is right and what is wrong vary to a huge degree from one culture to the next.
It seems plainly evident that to any objective observer, absolute right and wrong do not exist.

,,really, what cultures are you thinking of that vary from western culture, regarding,rape,murder,theft,

So if you go to Mexico and a native of that culture attacks your family ,robs you,beats the tar out of you and then kills them all but,he's justified by your logic.

It's highly unlikely you'll stand very long on the basis of your belief.

.but it sure sounds like a strong philosophical and rational approach here.

I'd shoot you a few frubals ,but I think if you were put to the test you'd recant, as most would in such a situation.

Heneni

Miss Independent
Evil comes from a lack of understanding the total connection of oneself to one's fellow human beings. We're all made of the same star stuff.

Everything is made of matter..'dust' is atoms, elements. Now what is the spirit made of ...no guessing...

If evil is as a result of matter...then which matter is good and which matter is evil. Which atoms are bad and which atoms are good?

Heneni

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
,,really, what cultures are you thinking of that vary from western culture, regarding,rape,murder,theft,
Nice try, but those are not the only morals people have.
Nice try, but there are various cultures all over the world.
Stop moving the goal posts.

So if you go to Mexico and a native of that culture attacks your family ,robs you,beats the tar out of you and then kills them all but,he's justified by your logic.
Think whatever you want.
I know that you will not see anything that you think goes against what you believe.
I have seen your posts in the evolution threads.

It's highly unlikely you'll stand very long on the basis of your belief.
And here you show you don't know squat about me, or my beliefs.
Yet you are pulling all manner of non-sense out your arse about both.

.but it sure sounds like a strong philosophical and rational approach here.

I'd shoot you a few frubals ,but I think if you were put to the test you'd recant, as most would in such a situation.
Think what you like.
I am not you.
I am not limited by your beliefs regardless of what you think.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
Nice try, but those are not the only morals people have.
Nice try, but there are various cultures all over the world.
Stop moving the goal posts.

Think whatever you want.
I know that you will not see anything that you think goes against what you believe.
I have seen your posts in the evolution threads.

And here you show you don't know squat about me, or my beliefs.
Yet you are pulling all manner of non-sense out your arse about both.

Think what you like.
I am not you.
I am not limited by your beliefs regardless of what you think.

I;m testing your theory and it's failing as is your logic.

emiliano

I think that right and wrong is decided by the individual. An individual can decide that what he does is right regardless of society’s definition of right or wrong, equally an individual can decide that that the entire society in which he live is wrong.
Justice is to give exactly what is due.
Aristotle defined it as a balancing act of moderation toward oneself and others.
For example, if one gives too many things away to the poor one is being unjust toward oneself.
Justice is virtue the vitue of moderation {Gk. swfrosunh [sophrosúnê]}
Self-control. According to Plato, a person who has the virtue of moderation subordinates the desire for pleasure to the dictates of reason. For Aristotle, all virtues are to be understood as the mean between vicious extremes. (Philosophical Dictionary: Moderation-Mysticism)

emiliano

where does evil come from
i dont know wether this question has been raised already. but my question for today is, if god is allknowing, all powerful, limitless and creator of absolutely everything, where does evil come from? who created it? who created or implanted the concept(knowledge) of evil into lucifer's mind? because remember, god's creation can not itself create a thought or idea that god did not know of in the first place, or that he didnt give us potential to create in the first place because he is omniscient.

because remember adam and eve were not initially created with knowledge of good or evil. evil was introduced to them through the serpent no? so question is, who initially introduced the concept(definition) of evil to lucifer? and if you are saying that lucifer did not have to be made aware of evil because he was created by god with the concepts of good and evil in the first place. than that automatically means that both good and evil comes from god.

I think of evil as something no good, a lacking of or an absence of good, in scripture we see that God declares what He created all there is as very good, evil is a good that lacks the original goodness with which it was created by God, this is because of corruption as evil is a corrupted good, God created humans with free will so as to enable them to choose to do what is good, not choosing to do what is good is a sin, so to me evil comes from a wilful corruptions of the goodness that God created.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
I;m testing your theory and it's failing as is your logic.

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood". - Steven R. Covey

You aren't even in the ballpark, regarding the point that Mestemia is making, yet you continue to try to project your values onto his world view.

The only thing you are testing is the limits to which someone can miss the point of a conversation.

Hospitaller

Seminarian
i think one should think of Luke 6:31 "And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise" (Ethic of reciprocity) before taking actions that could be categorized as good or evil. in other words, treat others the way you would like to be treated. upon hurting someone, one can only expect to be hurt. upon blessing someone, one can only expect to be blessed.