• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where are you on the journey?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
So...I was a very devout Catholic from the age of 20 to 26. It just became too much for me. Not just the Catholic faith became so increasingly difficult, but the Bible itself seemed even more confusing.

I found myself becoming more and more unhappy, always traumatized by the thought that sinners and unbelievers that I was coming into contact with everyday could die and go to hell to be in agony forever and ever.

Not to mention the horrifying "reality" that everyday, so many souls are going to hell. And it became increasingly more and more clear that I was destroying my mental and emotional health by believing in such a thing. So I quit! Why stress myself out daily and burn up so much time and energy over a belief(s) that I can't prove? Was an agnostic for about nine months and somewhat of a Deist at times.

There are a lot of other sad things that took place which lead me away from religion, but i'll save that for another time. Currently i go to bible studies and started going to church again about three weeks ago. I don't like to call myself Christian though because I rarely pray, and when I do, have very little faith that God hears me. I also dont follow the rules :p

I have met some very awesome people recently and am convinced that God is at work in them and responsible for some of the huge transformation they have experienced and their dedication to helping other people without any reward or pay. There is just something there in some of these people that I feel strongly is far more than what evolution and natural selection gifted the human mind and heart with. This helped a lot.

Anyhow, where are you on your spiritual journey? How did you get there? If you are atheist/agnostic....how did you get there?

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Somewhere in the middle, I would guess!!! I hope this isn't the end of my spiritual journey!!

Deidre

If you are atheist/agnostic....how did you get there?

About four years ago, I deconverted from Christianity. I fail to see the logic or truth in the Bible any longer. I also read Charles Darwin's life story, and it seemed very convincing at the time, and so I deconverted. Not because of those things, but rather I felt confirmed in what I was already feeling inside, which were many doubts. I don't think there is anything wrong with remaining a theist, and doubting. But, when your doubts give way to the simple fact of just struggling to believe what at one time came effortlessly, it's time to examine those doubts. So, I did.

I didn't leap into atheism, it's not something one leaps to, but more of a gradual path that led to it, naturally. Atheism became perhaps the logical conclusion to it all. But, now, I'd say I'm an atheist, with an open mind...seeking. Always seeking, always in awe. We should never stop wondering...and being in awe of our universe. There's nothing wrong with believing in an unknown power, I just don't believe any of the religions that are out there, and frankly, if a god exists...he/it may be nothing as to what we might imagine him/it to be.

One clarification, you say atheist/agnostic. In a way, we are ALL agnostic, for agnosticism is relating to knowledge, while atheism is a position of belief. (or lack thereof) Theists can be every bit as agnostic as atheists...for none of us know with certainty, if a deity exists or not.

Last edited:

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
A good way to lose faith in religion is to be taught that scriptures are word for word the inspired word of God, when we know full well they were written by men, not God. I have trouble believing a lot of the ancient ancient Israelite writers in the old testament were actually listening to God, too. books in the Old testament and Paul in the New Testament, give God a bad reputation, in my opinion, Jesus is the one that really seemed inspired to me.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
In this lifetime i traversed many years, yet not a single step will have been taken at the conclusion of my spiritual journey. No more than at it's beginning.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Close enough to the end of my journey through life that I am frequently checking the maps to be certain I don't get lost while I enjoy the views.

The maps do provide some reassurance, but it's also fun to leave them at home and just enjoy an adventure. ;)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Anyhow, where are you on your spiritual journey? How did you get there? If you are atheist/agnostic....how did you get there?

I've traversed a couple of different paths: Christianity (birth and family religion), Deism, Hinduism, a little Buddhism, a little Taoism. The one I am on now, Asatru, and will hopefully stay on unless Thor and/or the All-Father tell me otherwise, is one that I believe was always dormant in me. I say this because I have never, ever had an affinity for any deity such as I have for Thor. Nor have I ever felt such a strong pull; I say he grabbed me in a headlock, which is how I got here.

Woodrow LI

IB Ambassador
The maps do provide some reassurance, but it's also fun to leave them at home and just enjoy an adventure. ;)
True but after about 70 years you come to realize the old ship is not going to stay aflot much longer, might best find a port and stop island hoping

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
after deleting the post meant for another thread...

I really don't know where I am on my spiritual journey - I don't have the perspective required. How I got here is another matter. I started off life not being at all interested in religion or spiritual questions on a conscious level. During the 60's I became aware of a reality which in poetic terms is "smelling perfume and realizing that there must be a flower producing that perfume." Since then I've been, as it were, following my "nose".

Spiderman

Veteran Member
very true they give God an extremely bad reputation and are embarrassing to defend.

yes just to believe that every word of Scripture was inspired by the Holy Spirit just drove me insane. it's like, you're going to give us one book written by you Lord, and it is this ridiculous? the only book you would ever write for us, and that's the best you could do?

the average writer could write us more edifying books than the Old Testament.

unless you have very little compassion for other people or a very cruel Idea of Justice, it will be easier for you to hold on to religion if you choose to reject the idea that all of the Old Testament was inspired by God.
A good way to lose faith in religion is to be taught that scriptures are word for word the inspired word of God, when we know full well they were written by men, not God. I have trouble believing a lot of the ancient ancient Israelite writers in the old testament were actually listening to God, too. books in the Old testament and Paul in the New Testament, give God a bad reputation, in my opinion, Jesus is the one that really seemed inspired to me.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
no offense, but that is cute :)
I've traversed a couple of different paths: Christianity (birth and family religion), Deism, Hinduism, a little Buddhism, a little Taoism. The one I am on now, Asatru, and will hopefully stay on unless Thor and/or the All-Father tell me otherwise, is one that I believe was always dormant in me. I say this because I have never, ever had an affinity for any deity such as I have for Thor. Nor have I ever felt such a strong pull; I say he grabbed me in a headlock, which is how I got here.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
that is an interesting point that you make that you can be both a Christian and an agnostic.

that sounds so much like who I feel I am spiritually!
About four years ago, I deconverted from Christianity. I fail to see the logic or truth in the Bible any longer. I also read Charles Darwin's life story, and it seemed very convincing at the time, and so I deconverted. Not because of those things, but rather I felt confirmed in what I was already feeling inside, which were many doubts. I don't think there is anything wrong with remaining a theist, and doubting. But, when your doubts give way to the simple fact of just struggling to believe what at one time came effortlessly, it's time to examine those doubts. So, I did.

I didn't leap into atheism, it's not something one leaps to, but more of a gradual path that led to it, naturally. Atheism became perhaps the logical conclusion to it all. But, now, I'd say I'm an atheist, with an open mind...seeking. Always seeking, always in awe. We should never stop wondering...and being in awe of our universe. There's nothing wrong with believing in an unknown power, I just don't believe any of the religions that are out there, and frankly, if a god exists...he/it may be nothing as to what we might imagine him/it to be.

One clarification, you say atheist/agnostic. In a way, we are ALL agnostic, for agnosticism is relating to knowledge, while atheism is a position of belief. (or lack thereof) Theists can be every bit as agnostic as atheists...for none of us know with certainty, if a deity exists or not.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
So...I was a very devout Catholic from the age of 20 to 26. It just became too much for me. Not just the Catholic faith became so increasingly difficult, but the Bible itself seemed even more confusing.

I found myself becoming more and more unhappy, always traumatized by the thought that sinners and unbelievers that I was coming into contact with everyday could die and go to hell to be in agony forever and ever.

Not to mention the horrifying "reality" that everyday, so many souls are going to hell. And it became increasingly more and more clear that I was destroying my mental and emotional health by believing in such a thing. So I quit! Why stress myself out daily and burn up so much time and energy over a belief(s) that I can't prove? Was an agnostic for about nine months and somewhat of a Deist at times.

There are a lot of other sad things that took place which lead me away from religion, but i'll save that for another time. Currently i go to bible studies and started going to church again about three weeks ago. I don't like to call myself Christian though because I rarely pray, and when I do, have very little faith that God hears me. I also dont follow the rules :p

I have met some very awesome people recently and am convinced that God is at work in them and responsible for some of the huge transformation they have experienced and their dedication to helping other people without any reward or pay. There is just something there in some of these people that I feel strongly is far more than what evolution and natural selection gifted the human mind and heart with. This helped a lot.

My spiritual journey, at least as concerns the Christian path, has led me from Fundamentalist to Gnostic. In Gnostic thought I found many of the answers I had been seeking for years. Perhaps it can do the same for you. The journey continues and I look forward to what is around the next bend!

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I'm at the point where the path seems endless. Looking back, I can't see my starting point. Looking forward, I can't see my goals. So I block out the things I don't see, the past and the future. I am lost, but I'm okay with it.

Banjankri

Anyhow, where are you on your spiritual journey?
In the subject of spirituality, everyday brings something new for me. Before, news came from outside, now they are mostly coming from inside. I can easily say, that I am my own guru without doctrine.
This way, I am able to make new discoveries every day. By constantly re-configuring my perspective, I learn about the rules governing my existence.

It feels like circling a mirage, on the edge of its appearance, in search of discoveries. Being Indiana Jones, without leaving home.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Long story short: My family aren't religious. I started with no religion. I was introduced to the church when my mother took us to church. Studied the Bible. Left the church after my brain surgery. Was pulled to be a nun then a Priest beforehand. Then shifted to Native American spirituality. It's culture based so I don't know my roots since I wasn't raised in that culture. Went into witchcraft since my mother practiced it. Jumped to Zen but wanted a community. Went to Nichiren Buddhism. Now I'm in between paganism and Nichiren Buddhism because I like the community of the Buddhist family and completely agree with the faith; but, the denomination views I disagree with. There is only one pagan group in my area. I tried contacting them, they didn't want to meet in person. So witchcraft has become my practice, Nichiren Buddhism is slowly becoming my faith, and life is religion.

Short story long: I wasn't raised religious. My mother didn't want us believing in fairy tales, she says to me. The rest of my family are Christian or variation of it. So I was introduced to that through non-intermediate family and society. My mother wanted to have a perfect white fenced, two children--boy and a girl, Christian family so she took us to church. I wanted to study the Bible so I stayed. The rest of my family left. My mother never came to service until I was "supposedly" baptized in water with pictures marking the event.

I wanted to be a nun so I can study the Bible. I didn't know much about it at heart. I just love reading and studying. Later I wanted to be a Priest so I can share scripture with people in the language and culture they are familiar with.

I left Christianity and went into Witchcraft which is what my mother practiced before taking us to church. That's a default to whatever religion I practice.

I went into Nichiren Buddhism (Shoshu) and dislike how they replaced the Buddha with Nichiren. I practice with the SGI but I dislike the charging for the Gohonzon, the magazine, and the emphasis on Ikeda rather than Nichiren and Shakyamuni. I wanted to practice with Nichiren Shu since I like the structure of religion which SGI didn't have and agreed with the denomination with which Shoshu differed in. I had practiced Zen before, so both Shoshu and SGI are very, um, opinionated against them so that turns me off as well.

I went into paganism as a religion and kept witchcraft as a practice. I don't care for the new age flare and I don't click with Wicca so it's hard to find a community to share beliefs similar to mine.

I summed up "God" as in my signature being life. Witchcraft being interacting with life--all living and the Earth. Buddhism finding Wisdom through the life I'm interconnected with. Zen, avoiding seeing religion and life as two separate entities. Paganism, the only information I have to learn about witchcraft other than what I have experienced and practice through instinct rather than correspondences.

I find it hard to say what religion I am since I see overlap in all. I find it hard to tell other people their religion is false, so I don't gel with Abrahamic faiths and some Nichiren sects that advocate "we are right and you are wrong." I respect all faiths which many Christians don't because some misinterpret respect with accept.

I don't like "it's up to you, don't listen to others" because I believe we should be one community in our faith as living beings. As such, throughout our diversity, we should have some things in common. If we don't see that, I will never find a faith that clicks; just to live life through my practice and take up my morals as a lifestyle I hope to live by.