• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When You Can't Beat'em, Join'em and Exploit'em

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
so i have a strong, very strong suspicion, that when the roman empire decided to incorporate the jesus teachings as it's religion, christianity got substantially altered. why? because the teachings was impowering people and no matter how hard the romans tried to suppress it and exterminated it, it kept gathering momentum.

energy cannot be created/destroyed but it can be transformed. so is there any evidence to the case? or am I just wishful thinking?

elaine pagels claims that much of the NT is gnostic

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
so i have a strong, very strong suspicion, that when the roman empire decided to incorporate the jesus teachings as it religion, christianity got substantially altered. why? because the teachings was impowering people and no matter how hard the romans tried to suppress it and exterminated it, it kept gathering momentum.

energy cannot be created/destroyed but it can be transformed. so is there any evidence to the case? or am I just wishful thinking?

Or, they could have see how neatly this new religion would be able to control the masses with just a few tweaks here and there.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
so i have a strong, very strong suspicion, that when the roman empire decided to incorporate the jesus teachings as it religion, christianity got substantially altered. why? because the teachings was impowering people and no matter how hard the romans tried to suppress it and exterminated it, it kept gathering momentum.

The Romans were infamous for adopting the Gods of the regions they conquered. Probably to get the locals on board or maybe Pascal's wager.

Nimos

so i have a strong, very strong suspicion, that when the roman empire decided to incorporate the jesus teachings as it's religion, christianity got substantially altered. why? because the teachings was impowering people and no matter how hard the romans tried to suppress it and exterminated it, it kept gathering momentum.

Don't know it for certain, but I would expect it to be the case as there have been lots of different ideas of how the scriptures or teachings should be understood, even today people can't agree on it. Even in the bible, you have Paul and Peter arguing about how you are saved, what is needed by the gentiles and what is not. So I would assume that the romans adapted what they thought were most likely to be true and what worked for them as well.

There might be a good chance that the roman had a huge impact on it, given the mere size and power it had at the time.

But again, im just guessing have no clue :)