• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When Vivekananda perfomed Kumari Puja on a Muslim girl worshipping her as the Divine Mother...

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
An insightful article on Swami Vivekananda performing Kumari puja on a muslim girl in Kashmir in 1898. This was in accordance with the Shakta belief that all females are manifestations of the Divine mother, and their worship bestows auspiciousness and blessings on the devotees.

Beautiful story, I loved it. Wonderful and so respectful towards women. And that already in 1898. Good example; people can learn a lot especially now.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Respect is one thing, but a difference in religion is another. Just think what Allah would say or do to that girl? The girl should have told Vivekananda that one should not worship none other than Allah. Mixing up things has not done anyone any good.

إِنَّنِي أَنَا اللَّهُ لَا إِلَٰهَ إِلَّا أَنَا فَاعْبُدْنِي وَأَقِمِ الصَّلَاةَ لِذِكْرِي​
Innanee ana Allahu la ilaha illa ana faoAAbudnee waaqimi alssalata lithikree
"Verily, I - I alone - am God; there is no deity save Me. Hence, worship Me alone, and be constant in prayer, so as to remember Me!"
Al-Quran Al-Kareem Surah 20. Ta-ha, Ayah 14

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
An insightful article on Swami Vivekananda performing Kumari puja on a muslim girl in Kashmir in 1898. This was in accordance with the Shakta belief that all females are manifestations of the Divine mother, and their worship bestows auspiciousness and blessings on the devotees.
Worshiping any person as if he/she is God goes against the foundational tenets of Islam and is considered a mortal sin of first order. In Islam, there is absolute distinction of essence between that which is created and the being who is Creator, and only the Creator is worthy of reverence as Creator. I know that Swamiji did it with the best of intentions from within his profound insight into Brahman, but it does show a certain absence of consideration of the other faith and what it holds as holy.

stvdv

Just think what Allah would say or do to that girl?

Imagine what Allah would say or do to you "you saying: Just think what Allah would say or do to that girl"
I find it tricky to even think "what would God think, say or do".
I rather leave that to God. If He is smart as they say, He won't need my input
[What I can say myself: I am happy when religious people transcend religion and find/practise Love]

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, Stvdv, Allah made it very clear in Quran. I have given only one example, there are many more. So, why should we trifle with Allah? Even Yahweh is that way (I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing ..).

stvdv

Well, Stvdv, Allah made it very clear in Quran. I have given only one example, there are many more. So, why should we trifle with Allah? Even Yahweh is that way (I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing ..)

My master taught me "If you judge anything in God's creation, you judge God". So better be careful if you judge.
So the Lord telling "I am jealous" I can interpret there are creations made by Him who are jealous. Need not be God, as being beyond all attributes.
So the Lord telling "I am punishing" I can interpret that some of His creations punish. Need not be God, as being beyond all attributes

So yes, if God is bigger than the biggest and smaller than the smallest and all in between, then in a way you can say "God is jealous...."

But my favourite is "God is unconditional Love". From that viewpoint I believe what Vivekenanda did was wonderful. Just a personal opinion.

"Why sould we trifle with Allah?"
I don't trifle with Allah, I just use my discrimination and common sense and all other tools, and don't believe blind

This is one I never forget, the Yoga Vasistha taught me:
Reject foolishness, even if it is given by God Himself

GoodbyeDave

One must surely ask what the girl thought about it? I'm not happy about worshiping some-one without their consent, even though I sympathise with his motives.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Vivekenanda, and Ramakrishna before him, were more controversial than many will admit. There are two sides to all stories, and mostly I've observed that the people who do disagree with some of the things they did soon learn to shut up about it because of the reaction it causes in the defenders/devotees.

Still, love him or hate him, he changed the face of Hinduism in the west. So too for Gandhi and the likes of Yogananda. Personally, I try to remain dispassionate, and be the observer.

ajay0

Beautiful story, I loved it. Wonderful and so respectful towards women. And that already in 1898. Good example; people can learn a lot especially now.

Yes, it is in tune with Ramakrishna's teachings that all women or females are manifestations of the Divine Mother.
The fact that Vivekananda did Kumari Puja with a muslim girl with her father's consent, shows that this vision was not a myopic one and extending only to HIndus but a universal theme.

ajay0

Respect is one thing, but a difference in religion is another. Just think what Allah would say or do to that girl? The girl should have told Vivekananda that one should not worship none other than Allah. Mixing up things has not done anyone any good.

Well,the girl or her father did not voice any objections, and yours is 110 years too late.

The sufis also worship their saints in dargahs or tombs.

ajay0

Sufis and babas have long deceived people. They do not impress me.

This is just your personal interpretation which does not hold true for everyone. Many Hindus visit sufi shrines for worship.
Yakut Baba, a Sufi Muslim saint was one of Shivaji's spiritual guides.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
This is just your personal interpretation which does not hold true for everyone. Many Hindus visit sufi shrines for worship.
I do not see why we need to do that when we already have a surfeit of Gods/Goddesses and saints.