• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

wheat genome plotted.

evolved yet?

A Young Evolutionist
I guess my expectations made me think that would have been sequenced earlier as it is relevant to survival.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
BBC News - Wheat genome may help tackle food shortages

Uk scientists complete the wheat genome and make it public for free...
No question of Patents now.

American agro-buisness will not be pleased.

The wheat genomeis five times the size of the human one, and they did it in one year.
This story is now two months old but I'm always amused at Terry's American-vs-Brit interpretation of every event. But it's still interesting in how Terry' got it wrong. What the British scientists did is not even close to mapping the entire genome of an organism. Very simply put they took the 17 million base pairs and segregated it into smaller packets of 300 to 500 base pairs. They then deciphered the string of code in each "packet" yet the order itself remains unknown. The sequence the British researchers have are comparable to a chaotic clutter of strands all containing the letters from a set of encyclopedias. The big clue that the Brits' claims were hyperbolic was that it was announced at a press release and not in a peer reviewed publication. That's a big warning sign. Neil Hall, the main scientist from the team making grandiose claims has now back pedaled and admitted they hope to have something published within the year.

We'll see I guess.

Also, the IWGSC strongly disagrees with the BBSRC's conclusions. The AP press release exaggerated the BBSRC's claims:

It's exciting research and the practical benefits will be astounding, but this may be yet another case of weak science reporting:

Last edited: