• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the Theology Behind Human Sacrifice?

LAGoff

I watched a mangled version of Midsommar on Youtube, and the thing came up in my mind was the beauty of the place and the people in juxtaposition to the human sacrifice that went on. This got me to thinking about the reason for human sacrifice there (in the movie) and historically. How and why could such beautiful people who really seem to have such love for each other and all nature do such things?
I realize that this is just a movie and it is describing a cult and so it is unhistorical and a 'hit' piece on paganism, but it gave me the opportunity to meditate on human sacrifice in some cultures in the ancient past.
So again, what was (is?) the philosophy/theology behind sacrificing another human in the ancient cultures of the past?
When I go into nature (rarely) I feel awe and sadness. Is there something behind these feelings that would eventually lead me to sacrifice someone? I don't know. I am so alienated from nature/Nature and the pagan mindset, so this question of human sacrifices is a relatively new exploration for me. I guess it was the communal, hippy-like groovyness and beauty of the place and people in Midsommar in relation to what most people feel is an abomination that forced up these questions in me.

Wandering Monk

You have to appease the gods and it wouldn't do to give them something cheap. It had to be something that meant the most to you, your children.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I watched a mangled version of Midsommar on Youtube, and the thing came up in my mind was the beauty of the place and the people in juxtaposition to the human sacrifice that went on. This got me to thinking about the reason for human sacrifice there (in the movie) and historically. How and why could such beautiful people who really seem to have such love for each other and all nature do such things?
I realize that this is just a movie and it is describing a cult and so it is unhistorical and a 'hit' piece on paganism, but it gave me the opportunity to meditate on human sacrifice in some cultures in the ancient past.
So again, what was (is?) the philosophy/theology behind sacrificing another human in the ancient cultures of the past?
When I go into nature (rarely) I feel awe and sadness. Is there something behind these feelings that would eventually lead me to sacrifice someone? I don't know. I am so alienated from nature/Nature and the pagan mindset, so this question of human sacrifices is a relatively new exploration for me. I guess it was the communal, hippy-like groovyness and beauty of the place and people in Midsommar in relation to what most people feel is an abomination that forced up these questions in me.
In Mesopotamia and Middle East its probably the same as for sacrificing any creature, however in other regions of the world it is probably for other reasons.

I'm not any expert on Hawaii, however if you get the chance you might want to read James A. Michener's book Hawaii which is what's called 'Historical fiction'. Michener puts forward the reasons that he thinks human sacrifice was used in Tahiti.

I'm told that the underlying reasons for human sacrifice in South America during the Mayan thing was overpopulation, but I don't know. I tend to think, rather, it was a power play by the priests and was useful for intimidating enemies. Perhaps this suggests reasons why it also happened in other places.

Norse human sacrifice? I've no idea, except that I did watch the show Vikings. That seemed to suggest the sacrifice was extremely superstitious and also sign of the political power of the king who could call for it. Apparently it was mostly slaves who were sacrificed.

In all cultures that I am aware of, its generally slaves who get sacrificed.