• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the last book you've read?

I've read a banned book called "The Chocolate War" by Robert Cormier.
"In the Public Good? Censorship in New Zealand" By Roy Shukeer and Chris Watson
"The Lost Ten Tribes" By Neser ( A another banned book)
"Moral Dilemma: Censorship"

Melody

sillygeezer10 said:
Good grief. "The Chocolate War" was banned? Where? I read this one to my 6th grade class and they loved it (of course). Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to have to go and get it for my son. That's a great book!

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
sillygeezer10 said:
Ooh, I remember reading that one at school (it wasn't prescribed reading; I read it for fun).

In the last two weeks, I have read:

Final Edition and Hostage to Murder, both by Val McDermid

Unnatural Exposure and Black Notice, both by Patricia Cornwell

Last night I started The Last Precinct, also by Patricia Cornwell. :p I've had the flu, and haven't felt like doing much more than reading when I'm home.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I can't read books at the moment - no concentration. I reread the same line time after time.:eek:

I'm reading Ice Bound about Jerri Nielson, the south pole doctor who had breast cancer while on the ice. I'm also reading Wicked, the novel that the musical is based on. I saw the play as a birthday present in March and I"m slightly obsessed :D

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
My semester just finished and the last reading assignment was Lakota Woman by Mary Crow Dog. I'm now ready to dive into the stack of books that have been waiting for me all spring. :woohoo:

A

angellous_evangellous

The last book that I read was: Beyond Anger by Carolyn Osiek

Very good book. It a short and insightful review of feminism within the Church. I plan to read it afew more times. It was written over 20 years ago, and I will talk with her about editing and updating it because her insights are very useful today.

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
Melody said:
Good grief. "The Chocolate War" was banned? Where? I read this one to my 6th grade class and they loved it (of course). Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to have to go and get it for my son. That's a great book!
Melody when they say "Banned" they are just trying to get people's dander up. There is no such thing as an actually "Banned" as in we-are-going-to-burn-it-if-we-catch-anyone-with-it-banned book anymore.

The only types of Bans are when they take innapropriate materials out of elementary or Junior High classes (and, rarely, school libraries) because they are not age appropriate or the parents are offended at the content. Honestly, they are usually right to do so (though sometimes yes, parents just get in a huff over nothing).

Anyway, you can still walk down to the bookstore and buy it.

anders

Not counting books immediately or closely connected to ongoing studies, I think the last book I started reading was Karen Armstrong: A History of God. After having read its praise in several Internet posts, I finally found it in a used books shop.

The last one I finished was probably the autobiography by Sigrid Kahle, daughter of the internationally acclaimed orientalist/semitologist/theologian H.S. Nyberg, married to a late son of the rather equally famous German OT Scholar Paul Kahle, but a highly praised journalist, author etc. in her own right.

I hope she gets translated into lots of languages. The book has it all: history, suspense, intrigues, covering 1928 to 2003 and what happened in Europe as well as in Afghanistan, India and Pakistan; she started the frst Urdu theatre company in Pakistan, met Nehru, lived in the US during the Vietnam war, experienced pre- and post-WW II in Germany; and throughout, she spares no personal details, making it one of the most the moving books I ever read.